PDA

View Full Version : My GM 1 hr treatment experience with pics

julliams
October 13th, 2011, 12:33 AM
HI everyone,
I have just got back from 3 weeks in Europe which was great. One of the highlights for me personally was getting a one hour George Michael treatment at a salon in Zurich, Switzerland.

The stylist was lovely and agreed that I didn't need a trim as I'd only had it trimmed 2 months before. The one hour treatment actually takes around 3 hours all up.

My hair was dried on rollers under heat and when it came out it looked really lovely. I was told not to wash it for 3 days which I did. She told me it was so that the keratin had time to bond - you can imagine that I did a double take at this moment thinking that I'd accidentally asked for a straightening treatment (language thing). I was relieved to be told that no, that was not the case - lol.

Anyway, the results speak for themselves. Before is my normal "couple of days after washing" look (actually I'm a little embarrassed at how umkepmt it looks!!). After looks so soft and lovely. I did find that my hair dried quite nicely for a few washes afterwards. I do think it was expensive and I didn't buy the products because they were 3 times the price as in the US, but it was a really nice thing to do and a bit of "me" time was in order.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6180/6240080626_c3c3d635fc.jpghttp://farm7.static.flickr.com/6106/6240080628_8ba2130fd8.jpghttp://farm7.static.flickr.com/6225/6240080630_5392ae8801.jpg It's a little bit messy as I didn't brush before these were taken and we were on a boat so..... wind and all that.

I was wondering though, would velcro rollers as a normal dryig method be particularly damaging if I airdried to about 90% dry and then put them in for the rest of the drying time, maybe finishing with about 5 minutes of blowdrying (not close-up) but more like diffuser drying? I quite liked the way my hair sat for the next few days after this treament.

Debra83
October 13th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Wow!!! Very nice! I have a ton of velcro rollers in a box because my mom told me they are damaging and cause split ends.

It might be worth it to get the wire curlers and take the "brush" out of the middle and try them, or those caruso steam rollers that Ultrabella talks about.

Cirafly24
October 13th, 2011, 12:44 AM
Oooh, your hair looks lovely! When I saw the title, I took GM to mean goat milk (soapmaker :o), and I thought you had made a deep treatment with goat milk!

What exactly do they do during the treatment?

julliams
October 13th, 2011, 12:45 AM
I'd love to get a Caruso but they don't sell them in Australia and cost alot to get shipped here. One day I'll get to the states and I'll pick one up then.

julliams
October 13th, 2011, 12:48 AM
If I remember correctly, they washed first, then (here I might be wrong) put some kind of conditioning agent on my hair, then the treatment (I sat for an hour), then washed it out and put something else on it (can't remember what but it's job was to set the treatment), then put it in rollers and sat me under a kind of heater for another hour. Once the rollers came out, I was pretty much good to go. I had a fair bit of volume which I really don't go for, but that went down pretty quickly.

kidari
October 13th, 2011, 01:45 AM
That sounds lovely. Me time like that is such a luxury! Your hair looks amazing. But I liked in the before picture also. It looks more "done" in the after but is just as nice. I recall velcro rollers being damaging. I would use magnetic rollers instead.

cindy58
October 13th, 2011, 02:17 AM
Very nice, your hair looks beautiful! Sounds great to be pampered a bit, too!

pepperminttea
October 13th, 2011, 03:31 AM
And that's your hair after being in the wind? Wow. :thudpile:

julliams
October 13th, 2011, 03:40 AM
Light wind - like.... it's a nice day but your on a boat so it's a little windy ;)

freckles
October 13th, 2011, 04:15 AM
It looks beautiful, and not even a BIT messy, your 'messy hair' disclaimers made me laugh out loud :lol:

I'm glad you enjoyed the trip!

julliams
October 13th, 2011, 04:20 AM
I'm a ridiculous perfectionist...(but you should see my house - lol). Actually it's not that bad, but I'm not known for my good housekeeping.

MsBubbles
October 13th, 2011, 06:03 AM
How beautiful! But then I love how your hair looked before the treatment, too! Thanks for posting.

Carolyn
October 13th, 2011, 06:11 AM
You can use large mesh rollers with the brushes taken out. I learned that trick back in the 60s. Thank you SEVENTEEN magazine! You can also use magnetic rollers. I use a combination of both. Get a bonnet dryer. Another blast from the past! It's time consuming but it's a fun thing to do once in a while.

Madora
October 13th, 2011, 07:23 AM
julliams, thanks for sharing your pics and experience. Your hair looks lovely.

spidermom
October 13th, 2011, 07:24 AM
I like all the pictures, even the unkempt one.

CarpeDM
October 13th, 2011, 07:28 AM
You look like a hair model, just lovely!

embee
October 13th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Very nice! A treat for you, a good thing to do once in a while. :)

hendricks82
October 13th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Gorgeous!! Your unkempt hair looks amazin, and the post treatment hair is heavenly.

THAT is exactly how my dream hair looks :-) Super soft and shiny but voluminous at the same time. I was beginning to think it was a hair praradox, but you have achieved it!

Shield31
October 13th, 2011, 08:21 AM
julliams, I agree with others :). All pictures of you and your hair are spectacular. Those photos taken after the treatment are even more spectacularer !!!!

Alaia
October 13th, 2011, 08:31 AM
I like all three pictures! You hair is stunning both before and after :D

It must have been a lovely experience, I know I've wanted to go and get one done ever since I had my hair cut at a GM salon (I'm now using their products which thankfully I can source from the US rather than the insane prices charged here), but I can't afford the expense.

lapushka
October 13th, 2011, 08:42 AM
That's some great me-time! :D

Rocket22
October 13th, 2011, 09:07 AM
You gust have stunning hair! Looks great before and after

PixxieStix
October 13th, 2011, 09:18 AM
What a wonderful thing to do for yourself! Getting pampered is nice, and your hair really does look great all around!

knoxkatie
October 13th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Wow, your hair is so pretty. Posts like this are such a treat!

Metallia
October 13th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Wow, that looks like a hair commercial- in a good way! Very shiny and lovely. I have an appointment for my first treatment ever next week at a local GM salon, I'm very excited!

Emerald88
October 13th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Thanks for sharing the photos, your hair is fantastic! It's so good you could treat yourself.

newbeginning
October 13th, 2011, 10:13 AM
To me the before and after pics both look lovely. I really like your colour.

Aqua Gal
October 13th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Your hair looks fantastic! I would love to try the treatment...sounds heavenly.

Knotted
October 13th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Your hair looks beautiful!

Red Rapunzel
October 13th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Beautiful! I liked your "before" picture too!!

AngelDella
October 13th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Beautiful hair!!! I love the color!

wooliswonderful
October 13th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Gorgeous! So soft and pretty!

Schipperchow
October 14th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Beautiful hair! How nice that you were able to treat yourself.

summergreen
October 14th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Your hair looks stunning, really beautiful!

kabelaced
October 14th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Love all of the pictures! :D Salon or not, your hair is gorgeous!!

woodlandnymph
October 14th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Wonderful pictures[both before and after]! I've used GM products for years, and I hope to someday have the GM treatment too. Thank you for sharing!!:D

Macaroni
October 14th, 2011, 11:40 AM
So nice! Someday I want to treat myself to a GM treatment.

heidi w.
October 14th, 2011, 12:16 PM
FYI... GM = George Michael. He died later last year, if memory serves.

There are several GM licensed salons in the U.S. There's the original salon, now owned by Mr. GM's business partner, Maria, in New York/Manhattan. I've been there.

There's a GM salon in Ohio, in Beverly Hills, CA, and I don't know if the one in Texas still exists.

It's pricey. The hair dryer is set on a lower heat setting. The OP has, what I consider Mr. GM's favorite hair type. That is it's fairly thick and has enough body to make those ends curl nicely on the bottom.

For price, bring enough for a tip. A hefty tip. I tipped around $40 or more, if I recall correctly (wait, it may have been more like $80). They gave me the best hair trim I ever had. I have never had a treatment. Not sure how my scalp skin condition would handle it: Seborrheic Dermatitus, a raging form of dandruff.

I also didn't have enough time for a treatment as I was in New York for other reasons.

heidi w.

julliams
October 15th, 2011, 08:25 AM
I think I paid $115 Euros for the total treatment which is extremely pricey but it was something I just wanted to do. I did not tip as I don't think it is done in Zurich (at least I did not feel that I was supposed to - correct me if I'm wrong) and in Australia you do not tip either so it's not something I'm used to doing. I'm guessing that is a US custom? I did not receive a trim but then, I didn't want one so I'm not sure if that was included in the price I paid but I just didn't get it...

In any case, I was in the salon for just over 3 hours so I was ok with the price I paid, plus I hadn't had any trimming for a period of 16 months before my last trim in July so I had saved quite a bit of money on salon visits in that time anyway. Justify, justify...

Would I do it again? Probably not because it's simply not offered in Australia and I'm unlikely to be back in Zurich for quite some time. But if it were on offer it might be something I would do once a year for a bit of pampering. It's hard to know if it actually improved my hair long term (as in longer than a couple of washes).

jojo
October 15th, 2011, 03:44 PM
beautiful experience you had, with beautiful results. Thanks for sharing.