PDA

View Full Version : Help...anyone grown a Pixie out with layers?

Columbia River
October 12th, 2011, 09:04 PM
I've managed to grow Pixies out to shoulders before, however I always go blunt then grow. Has anyone ever grown it straight out and then eventually worked on trimming the layers out. Do you have pics'? Im just curious what to expect at APL and BSL. thanks.

Roscata
October 12th, 2011, 10:26 PM
I just dusted my layers while I grew out my pixie (I'm still growing it out since summer 2009) and this year I cut off maybe an inch and a half of the bottom layer. Photos in my length album (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=8124). :D

Columbia River
October 12th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Thanks! That was really helpful, our texture seems similiar. I have been wondering how it would grow out, now I'm inspired.

pennyroyal
October 12th, 2011, 11:43 PM
I am doing this but i am only inbetween shoulder & apl rightg now so i'm not much help but I would also love to see others progress.

Roscata
October 12th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Thanks! That was really helpful, our texture seems similiar. I have been wondering how it would grow out, now I'm inspired.

You're welcome! I'm glad you were inspired (also flattered :o). :D

Of the Fae
October 13th, 2011, 03:51 AM
I've done this. It resulted in a mullet the first few months but now it's just layers :) With longer hair at the back! It looks good, so I'd say go for it :)

missdelarocha
October 13th, 2011, 05:30 AM
I opted the go blunt then grow way.. I still definitely have layers but it's A LOT better than what I would have been growing out, jee! Can you image a razored cut with comparatively really long pieces in front of my ears and at the back corners of my hairline? Nah, thanks lol.

I think blunt is a good way to go, if you had thick enough hair I'm sure it could look okay but I just had it so thin it was see through.

KajiKodomo
October 13th, 2011, 07:29 AM
I've done it once before, and am doing it again. I'm growing from a buzz cut, so I have quite a few layers. I have pictures in my most recent album (My Ever Changing Hair) of my current grow-out (I'm between APL and BSL currently), and also this one is from the last time, between BSL and waist.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=633&pictureid=10691

It gets a little awkward until it's around APL or so, but I think it's totally worth it to grow without cutting back the layers, as it doesn't look bad at all once it gets long enough. :D

spidermom
October 13th, 2011, 07:32 AM
I got lots of trims and went from very short layers to long layers and finally to no layers around BSL.

hs_atreides
October 13th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Growing out a pixie for the third time! I have tried growing, getting blunt cut, growing some more but I seem to get more frustrated with that method. SEcond time, I let it grow until I reached shag then went for a Karen-O-esque bowl cut until the layers were evened up. THat was fun!
So this time, I am letting it all grow. I had a trim to clean up mullet, not eradiacte it, just cut about 1/4 inch. Then one dusting of layers as they felt raggedy.
I feel that I have more styling options with the layers and mullet. I can pin up up, I can wrap it up in scarves or headbands, wear down (although with a mullet). Awkward stages come and go.
Good luck!

Chetanlaiho
October 13th, 2011, 09:06 AM
I've done it once before, and am doing it again. I'm growing from a buzz cut, so I have quite a few layers.
I'm curious, are you planning to grow out the buzz cut without cutting out the layers? Because I'm really curious as to what those 'layers' would look like if it got long without trimming them ^^

HairFaerie
October 13th, 2011, 09:25 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5884&pictureid=95165

This was mine at shoulder length. Grown out from pixie. I only trimmed the back a few times to get rid of the mullet look.

Shortly after this, I got a pixie again....I am almost at shoulder again, so I am in the same boat!

moxamoll
October 13th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I've grown out from a pixie twice and I've always taken it blunt as soon as possible and gone for length from there. But I have really straight hair, so the layers just looked silly IMHO. If you have some wave or curl, then all the layers look like you've done them on purpose and it's much prettier. :wolfwhistle:

Neecola
October 13th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I just dusted my layers while I grew out my pixie (I'm still growing it out since summer 2009) and this year I cut off maybe an inch and a half of the bottom layer. Photos in my length album (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=8124). :D

Roscata, thanks for sharing your pics. It's growing quite nicely & looks healthy!

I was wondering if you have any tips for dusting the layers. I'd like to do regular microtrims and am not sure how to approach the layers...piece by piece? My hair is curly so it's harder to see the distinct layer--plus they've all grown out unevenly :rolleyes:

Columbia River
October 13th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Thank you all so much. (keep the info coming too ;)) It seems I'll get length quicker with out cutting to blunt. (face palm...did I just write that? ;))

Roscata
October 13th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Roscata, thanks for sharing your pics. It's growing quite nicely & looks healthy!

I was wondering if you have any tips for dusting the layers. I'd like to do regular microtrims and am not sure how to approach the layers...piece by piece? My hair is curly so it's harder to see the distinct layer--plus they've all grown out unevenly :rolleyes:

You're welcome! :D

Before I joined LHC, I would just go to a cheap salon and ask them to dust my layers. Now, when I dust my layers now I do it piece by piece. It doesn't take longer then 30 minutes for me. I start off by parting my hair in two (right side and left side), then I start doing vertical parts about 1-2 inches wide (one part at a time, one side at a time), then I divide that in about 3 sections horizontally (one by one) then pin the hair that was trimmed to the other side. Basically I just try to divide my hair in sections that allow me to trim each layer individually. I hope the explanation made sense.

Columbia River
October 13th, 2011, 11:13 AM
I have decided to do a tiny trim after every change of season, so once every twelve weeks.

nellreno
October 13th, 2011, 12:05 PM
When I started growing out my pixie I didn't cut it at all until it was past shoulder length. And even then it was to just re-shape the layers. Wasn't until I hit waist length that I realized I wanted to start trimming out the layers and damage. Unfortunately I don't have any progress pics from that time because I wasn't top concerned with my hair at that time, I just wanted to get rid of the bad pixie cut I had.

Neecola
October 13th, 2011, 01:32 PM
You're welcome! :D

Before I joined LHC, I would just go to a cheap salon and ask them to dust my layers. Now, when I dust my layers now I do it piece by piece. It doesn't take longer then 30 minutes for me. I start off by parting my hair in two (right side and left side), then I start doing vertical parts about 1-2 inches wide (one part at a time, one side at a time), then I divide that in about 3 sections horizontally (one by one) then pin the hair that was trimmed to the other side. Basically I just try to divide my hair in sections that allow me to trim each layer individually. I hope the explanation made sense.

Yes, that helps a lot! Thank you :flower:

LittleB
October 13th, 2011, 03:00 PM
My mom and I are both growing out pixies. I continually cut off the mullet, she opts to let it all grow.
Her hair looks "longer" faster, because the neck layer is long, and she puts the shorter side layers up with bobby pins or whatever. Her hair is wavy so I think she can get away with that. Mine is stick straight so it looks ridiculous like that.
So if you value the look of length over everything, don't trim the mullet. If you value the BEST possible style while still allowing it to grow, trim the mullet.

Roscata
October 13th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Yes, that helps a lot! Thank you :flower:

You are very welcome! :D

Honestwitness
October 13th, 2011, 03:16 PM
I grew out a pixie by keeping my face-framing layers, but trimming the sides and back until it was blunt. I am now at waist length and growing out all the face-framing layers, but keeping wispy bangs. I use side combs to control the awkward bits. The awkward bits ctually make wavy tendrils if I let them hang. But I can't stand that, because they block my field of vision. At my age, I already have enough vision challenges. I don't need to be blinded by hair. *smile*

longhairedwolf
October 13th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I just dusted my layers while I grew out my pixie (I'm still growing it out since summer 2009) and this year I cut off maybe an inch and a half of the bottom layer. Photos in my length album.

I really like the look of the layers. Very nice. That's what I aspire to.

longhairedwolf
October 13th, 2011, 04:51 PM
I've managed to grow Pixies out to shoulders before, however I always go blunt then grow. Has anyone ever grown it straight out and then eventually worked on trimming the layers out. Do you have pics'? Im just curious what to expect at APL and BSL. thanks.

I'm not growing from a pixie, but my hair is short with lots of layers. Razors were heavily involved in my cut! I'm planning on leaving the layers. My hair is wavy, and I plan to keep layers even when it is long, so there's no reason for me to try to get rid of them now.

seaj
October 14th, 2011, 06:31 AM
I haven't trimmed my hair since I got a crew cut two years and 2 months ago. I knew I wanted tailbone length hair with organic looking layers so I didn't see the point in doing any trims at all. The mullet stage was really bad for a good 8 months or so, but it was worth it. No need for a trim yet and I don't intend to trim till I get to my goal length. If I were to grow out a short cut again though, I'd start with a modern bowl cut to prevent another lengthy awkward stage.

Sweetie
October 14th, 2011, 06:42 AM
here I am:
starting point:
http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx311/Sweetie079_2009/luglio008.jpg
shoulder lenght
http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx311/Sweetie079_2009/settembre06016.jpg
APL
http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx311/Sweetie079_2009/05092009192.jpg
today, after a few trims to blunt my hemline
MBL
http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx311/Sweetie079_2009/DSCN4372.jpg
hope this helps!

KajiKodomo
October 14th, 2011, 06:43 AM
I'm curious, are you planning to grow out the buzz cut without cutting out the layers? Because I'm really curious as to what those 'layers' would look like if it got long without trimming them ^^

I'm planning on at least getting to hip before I start trimming, maybe longer depending on how my ends look at the time. :)