PDA

View Full Version : did a clarifying wash and I guess it was build up. what next?

jenna
July 4th, 2008, 12:26 PM
sorry for the crappy title. i wasn't sure what to call this thread.

after reading this article: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44 i did the clarifying wash yesterday with suave's daily clarifying shampoo. that was the only one i had. i washed it twice.

then let it dry and went back to the article and my hair fits this:

If your hair seems great and shiny, smooth and tangle free (lucky you but it happens), but was feeling awful before you did this, it could be one of two things. Either silicone build up or other build up, or you were just doing too much of a good thing before in your routine.

it was pretty blah with build-up before. and i don't know much about cones, but could it be safe to say that cones don't like me? i switch around on my shampoo/conditioner a lot. i use herbal essence and pantene and a few other more natural ones. i actually just picked up pantene's new beautiful lengths yesterday so i haven't tried it out yet.

i try to scritch/massage a few times a week but even then it was all gunky with the build up. i don't have anything on my scalp today, though.

Iylivarae
July 4th, 2008, 12:30 PM
That sounds like you had a lot of build-up.

It doesn't mean that your hair doesn't like cones, you could - for example - use cones and, as soon as you think you have build-up again, clarify. You could also clarify just once in a while, maybe every two weeks, once a month, whatever, so the build-up isn't formed.

jenna
July 4th, 2008, 12:31 PM
thanks for the quick reply!

i'll try clarifying more often, then. once every couple weeks shouldn't be too harsh, i think.

Iylivarae
July 4th, 2008, 12:37 PM
You just have to find the right period for you, then it shouldn't be a problem. If you notice that you have to clarify so often that your hair gets dry, you can still change to cone-free shampoos.

brok3nwings
July 4th, 2008, 03:57 PM
i´ve heard that pantene has a lot of cones...and that normally makes a lot of build up so you should look at the list of ingredients and see for yourself. A good way to know if your hair likes or not cones is trying without them for a while. After that if you see that your hair likes cones you could use some with cones and some without them...

lora410
July 4th, 2008, 04:01 PM
If you hair likes cones then just do a claifying about once a month. Now my hair HATES them. My ends get snarly and knotted soo easily with cones.

Kirin
July 6th, 2008, 07:44 PM
thats exactly what I was going to say! If you clarified, and used no conditioner and your hair is wonderfully fine, it probably means you need a lighter regime and don't need to go "nuts" with all kinds of treatments. A simple routine with a regular clarifying session now and again and you should be good.

mommy2one05
July 7th, 2008, 02:47 PM
it was pretty blah with build-up before. and i don't know much about cones, but could it be safe to say that cones don't like me? i switch around on my shampoo/conditioner a lot. i use herbal essence and pantene and a few other more natural ones. i actually just picked up pantene's new beautiful lengths yesterday so i haven't tried it out yet.

I just recently saw that new pantene at the store...I resisted buying it cause I need to use my current stash before I get any new ones, but I did sniff it and it smelled good. Let us all know what you think of it.
I think it is funny that alot of the brands are coming out with a product geared towards long hair like : garnier, herbal essence, and now pantene...who's next

suicides_eve
July 7th, 2008, 06:19 PM
i´ve heard that pantene has a lot of cones...
:brainbleach: i personally can not stand any Pantene products, i use to use them and the result was wax build up and severe breakage, i wouldn't even use that on my Sally's hair extentions its that bad. My cousin 'swore' it was the best thing since sliced bread- well she had horrible hair up until she went to the hair dresser and they were :agape: at the breakage she ended up losing a good bit to salvage what little un damaged hair she had left. We were told by the hair dresser that there main thing is a wax that coats the shaft equaling the smooth shiney look - and build up. Think about a new wax candle its shiney at first but you get scratches on it and it dulls it and then builds up after using it alot.

Some ppl love it and have good luck using it- me i didn't :shrug:

p.s the whole" natural " and "long hair " thing is just a commercial hype

Carolyn
July 7th, 2008, 06:52 PM
After clarifying, it's a good idea to get the moisture back in your hair. I'd recommend a conditioner that says it's moisturizing or do a SMT.