PDA

View Full Version : Question concerning Biotin

merseaone
October 12th, 2011, 12:23 PM
A friend of mine (who has always had long hair) told me the other day that to get your hair to grow fast I should take 5000 - 7000mg of Biotin. Now I have been taking Hair, Nails, and Skin vitamins and I notice they have only 3 mg of Biotin and says that is 1000% of the Daily dose needed. Do you think the 5000-7000mg is overkill? Can that be harmful to your body?

owlathena
October 12th, 2011, 12:38 PM
There are many threads on here where side effects of mega-dosing on biotin have been mentioned. Kidney problems and such. I personally get really bad acne when I take more than 500mcg a day, but others have had great results. I think that your friend probably takes 5000mcg.

jujube
October 12th, 2011, 12:39 PM
That would be 5000-7000 mcg, which is 5-7 mg. What's in your vitamins is a good dose already, I think some people have reported results with 1000-2000 mcg daily so you might not need to go to 7000. Also, a lot of members broke out from taking biotin so I'd experiment with the dose a bit.

I'm glad to see you're doing well, merseaone. And that your hair is starting to grow back! Happy growing :)

Madora
October 12th, 2011, 12:51 PM
merseaone, you might want to browse though these:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/search.php?searchid=3299850

nereida
October 12th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Hi there

I've been taking 5000mcg dosage for 2 weeks right now, after a long break and I need to say that when I started taking biotin one year ago (I was fighting with hair lose), it helped me a lot, but it killed my wallet - I mean that all vitamins in my country are very expensive. So I've had a break and right now I discovered one man who gets vitamins from UK and sells them here. I bought one big biotin container by Puritan's Pride, it also contains silica and I've heard that it gives better results.

Right now I am happy, because my nails are strong again, my skin is very soft even if I use products containing alcohol - every single day, it also seems that my hair grows faster, but it's subjective - I don't measure it, so it's hard to judge, but my hair looks shinier that's for sure

So far, I hadn't had any health problems. My kidneys are very sensitive, because I used to have some problems with them, hopefully I won't have these problems again (I hope that such a big dosage of biotin won't cause them)

Columbia River
October 12th, 2011, 12:58 PM
I WAS taking biotin too, however I am also taking a B complex and it has B 7 (which is biotin ), I'm also taking Jarosil (Aka Biosil, a silica), a daily multi, D3, and Omega 3. I started with a very short pixie....I've noticed with my vitamin cocktail (which is also good for over all health) my hair is not only coming in FAST but also thicker and with more body then ever. I'm going to keep taking my vitamins forever, since I know they are really good for me...and for the first time in my life, natural hair that I LOVE!

merseaone
October 12th, 2011, 03:30 PM
merseaone, you might want to browse though these:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/search.php?searchid=3299850

Link doesn't work.

merseaone
October 12th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Thanks for all the info,peeps. I had forgotten about Sillica. At one time I was taking Diametric Earth (?) but I don't know if it is a good idea now that I have had cancer.

Columbia River
October 12th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Merseaone, my hair was very similiar to yours in the beginning of August. Now my lower back layer is to the bottom of my neck, and my fringe is below my eyes, and my sides below my ears...all in two months! (I love me some headbands) Blessings of quick and healthy growth to you!