PDA

View Full Version : PH neutral shampoo

Kaelee
October 12th, 2011, 11:02 AM
I need a recommendation for a good, PH neutral shampoo that's pretty gentle and hopefully, inexpensive.

I'm going for a series of brain wave tests in November and to prepare for them I need to wash my hair three times with a PH neutral shampoo and not condition (she said coconut oil *just on the ends* is OK. But I might not even do that.) the reason for this is the tests involve electrodes placed on my scalp.

So....help? Any good recommendations?

MychelleC
October 12th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Most commercial shampoos are PH neutral. Color-care shampoos tend toward the acidic side, so avoid those. And anything soap-based will be alkaline, so avoid those as well (if says "saponified" or lists a lot of oils and no surfactants on the label put it back on the shelf). The most famous ph neutral shampoo is Head and Shoulders. It's a big advertising point for them, but your average drugstore shampoo is ph neutral.

StormVixen
October 12th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Most commercial shampoos are PH neutral. Color-care shampoos tend toward the acidic side, so avoid those. And anything soap-based will be alkaline, so avoid those as well (if says "saponified" or lists a lot of oils and no surfactants on the label put it back on the shelf). The most famous ph neutral shampoo is Head and Shoulders. It's a big advertising point for them, but your average drugstore shampoo is ph neutral.

I thought most shampoos including Head and Shoulders are formulated to match your scalp pH which (i believe?) is slightly acidic, please correct me if I am wrong. X

MychelleC
October 12th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Most shampoos are formulated to fall in the 5-7 range (ideally a 6). Because of the impact hard or soft water and individual ph has on the efficacy of a product, shampoos are designed to be neutral to accommodate a variety of water and scalp situations. It actually takes a lot longer for me to test and adjust the ph of my shampoos then it does to make them!

spidermom
October 12th, 2011, 11:31 AM
My Shikai shampoo has pH neutral written right on the bottle.
Most shampoos are slightly on the acid side, I believe.

ktani
October 12th, 2011, 11:57 AM
When I used to inqire by phone about the pH of shampoos the response was a range like 5.5 - 6.5 - acidic, for most.

I do not know where you are but Yves Rochet shampoos used to say pH neutral on them, which would be 7.

You can contact them to be sure. http://www.yvesrocher.ca/control/hair-care/shampoos/

ETA: Another brand http://www.grooming-health.com/product.php?id_product=80