PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to change your hair color permanently by dying it?

Bazinga
October 12th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Ok, this title sounds a bit confusing but I didn't know how to phrase it better. A friend of mine told me today that she used to dye her hair (I think with semi-permanent colors) and over the years her hair color changed so that it is darker now even though she doesn't dye her hair anymore. I was confused by this because I can't imagine how dying your hair would change your natural hair color. i thought whatever grows out of your scalp should not be affected by what you put on your hair.
Could the chemicals in the colors somehow "change" your hair permanently?

MinderMutsig
October 12th, 2011, 10:12 AM
No the chemicals won't change your hair color but hormones and age might.
A lot of people start out as blonds as kids and turn darker as they age, especially during puberty.

duchesswannabe
October 12th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Your hair can darken on its own as you get older. My uncle started out as somewhat of a blond and turned into a dark brunette (it turned black as far as I could tell). I myself always had variegated shades of brown and dark ash brown tones with a strange caramel colored streak (the streak was butt ugly, in my opinion). As I approached my thirties, the roots came in black and white. I was afraid of my "new" roots, but I just stopped dying it last year, and now I like my current colors. P.S.: I used permanent dye, which grows out as your hair grows.

unheardletters
October 12th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I had platinum blonde hair up until I was in my teens, and now it just keeps getting darker and darker. And my husband was medium blonde as a child, and his hair got darker in his teens, though his doesn't continue to keep getting darker like mine does.

spidermom
October 12th, 2011, 10:46 AM
I highly doubt that could happen. The dye would have to penetrate your follicles and continue depositing as hair grows. Nope ... not gonna happen that way.

I had a neighbor who told me that her hair was always stick straight until she had a perm, and that it had grown out curly ever since. "That's why they call it a permanent" she said. rrriiiiiiggghhhhtttt I don't think so.

Hair changes. I started out with platinum hair, went to mid-range/dark blonde, now going back toward platinum - yay! Also had straight hair that went wurly with menopause. It's all good.

Animae
October 12th, 2011, 12:09 PM
My brother started out life as a platinum blonde with ringlet curls (my mother had to dress him in all blue and put trucks all over his clothing and stuff because people kept thinking he was a girl) and now he has dark brown hair. It started to really darken when he was about 14.

ktani
October 12th, 2011, 01:12 PM
In a word, No. Your friend had just not seen her actual hair colour in years, and like others have said it darkened naturally.

owlathena
October 12th, 2011, 01:12 PM
I had blonde hair when I was little, but now its dark brown. :shrug: I always used to ask my momma "who is that?" when I saw pictures.

StephanieB
October 12th, 2011, 02:18 PM
I had a neighbor who told me that her hair was always stick straight until she had a perm, and that it had grown out curly ever since. "That's why they call it a permanent" she said. rrriiiiiiggghhhhtttt I don't think so.
It's not???

I though my hair was rather on the straight side, with just a bit of wave, all my life - until about a year ago... and, now that my hair's as long as it's ever been, it's curly! Long ringlets. <--- They're not from all the perms I've had in my 20s and 30s? :confused: .........

StephanieB
October 12th, 2011, 02:19 PM
It's not???

I though my hair was rather on the straight side, with just a bit of wave, all my life - until about a year ago... and, now that my hair's as long as it's ever been, it's curly! Long ringlets. <--- They're not from all the perms I've had in my 20s and 30s? :confused: .........

ROTFLMAO

*oops - better quit rolling on the floor before I tangle my permanently-ringleted hair*

StephanieB
October 12th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Could the chemicals in the colors somehow "change" your hair permanently?
No.

Not unless you call damage "change"...

Color can damage your hair; damage can't be repaired. It can be minimized, but not totally repaired.

jeanniet
October 12th, 2011, 02:35 PM
No. You're constantly losing old strands and growing new ones, so how would new hairs know you colored your hair X number of years ago? The only way dye could permanently change your hair color would be by actually causing changes within your body, and if hair color could do that, you wouldn't want it anywhere near you!

Ostelot
October 12th, 2011, 02:37 PM
So desperately I'm hoping that dying could change my color permanently but... Propably it's just an impossible dream. :D Jeanniet explained well the reason for the phenomenon.

spidermom
October 12th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Yup, that permanent solution probably settled into your pores and is busily curling all those new hairs, Stephanie, although how it manages that without curling rods is a mystery.

StephanieB
October 12th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Yup, that permanent solution probably settled into your pores and is busily curling all those new hairs, Stephanie, although how it manages that without curling rods is a mystery.
It's a miracle!!! lol

Seriously, if I could make it happen, I could make my fortune and never have financial woes again! :cheese: