PDA

View Full Version : Colored Blonde hair yellowing.......Help !!

LoveMyLongHair
October 12th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Girls and Guys,

My hairdressers thinks it is the water........that I need a filtered shower head as I have rural water

I don't tell her what else I do to my hair, as she would never understand.....ever....When I mentioned coconut oil, she shrieked in horror.......lol........whatever

I do monistat and CO washing........Night Blooming's Panacea and Shea Butter........none of that should make my color become brassy, right?

So it could be the water?

I did buy a filtered shower head....

spidermom
October 12th, 2011, 09:42 AM
I have heard that oil pulls out color, which might be affecting the tone.

LoveMyLongHair
October 12th, 2011, 09:53 AM
So, potentially the oils in the Panacea and the coconut oil may be the culprit?

Thanks Spider Mom. :flower:

Mairéad
October 12th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Certain oils can pull out color, coconut included, while others can deposit tints. Iron in water can cause brassiness in light colored hair and calcium can cause green tones which can dull blonde and red hair quite a bit. So, it could be the oils or it could be the water.

The prominent mineral in my hard water is calcium, which greys out my strawberry blonde hair. I CO as well and when it's time for my clarifying shampoo wash (every 3-6 weeks, depends) I use a clarifying shampoo that is also chelating. Chelating shampoos are harsh so I SMT after them, but it does get the deposits out and returns my color to normal.

You could try gentler things like club soda rinses and white vinegar rinses (ACV can add brassiness) to see if your color starts to return to normal. If so, there's probably iron in your water in which case a filter could definitely help as well as the risnes I described and occasional chelating shampoo.

LittleB
October 12th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Have you tried a purple shampoo from Sally's or John Frieda makes one at the drugstore. Also a toner from Sally's might do the trick. Colored blonde hair always goes yellow/brassy as your hair shaft heals and some of the pigment returns. I know these suggestions aren't extremely "natural" but they will help w/o real harm.

LoveMyLongHair
October 12th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Thank you so, SO much.....I'll put down the coconut oil.......and I did install the filtered shower head, so hopefully this will make the difference.

LoveMyLongHair
October 12th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Thanks Little B !! I do have the purple stuff, from when my mom used it.......I clean the shower with it. :P *smh* didn't think to use it on myself !!

LoveMyLongHair
October 12th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Maybe I should test my water......although the filtered head should make a huge difference.

FrozenBritannia
October 12th, 2011, 10:57 AM
When my hair was blonde I had to use blue or purple shampoo often because it would get brassy all the time. I have noticed that john frieda has a shampoo with chamomile in it which makes me wonder if just a chamomile rinse might do the same thing?
I don't think the coconut oil has anything to do with it, but you could try safflower oil instead.

Áine
October 12th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Tomato is a natural way to tone the brassiness in light hair just a little bit.

Busybee
October 12th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Just something to think about, if you have dye underneath the current dye that was yellower, or lighter, then the coconut oil is DEFINATELY contributing to fading the dye on top and bringing that yellow out.

To start - I am ash obsessed (I am naturally dark ash).

I had yellower hair over the summer (former stylists' stupidity) and I have been trying for months to get back to dark ash. I also have been doing overnight coconut oil treatments 2x a week and light oil everyday to tame the floofing.

I am getting salon quality Paul Mitchell dye that is ashier than ash put on there. I have a water filter installed in my shower, I'm using the Purple S&C, and my new color looks ash and is toned with purple..... for like a week - then that ugly yellow pulls back through - getting yellower as the weeks go on?!?!

Then just TODAY I discovered on LHC that Coconut oil must be the culprit. I am doing everything else right, and it's the only product I use with consistency and deep tratments.

I hate that I discovered that oils can strip color this late in the game :brickwall It all makes sense now though....... especiallly since the fading is worse on the ends than the virgin roots/ top portion of head.

Just food for thought.

Oh, and BTW - when using the color shampoos, make sure you don't use those alone, as they tend to dry hair out.... Hello - they have a little bit of DYE in them? I do 1/2 color deposit S&C and 1/2 Garnier 3x Nutrition every time I wash.

LoveMyLongHair
October 13th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Just something to think about, if you have dye underneath the current dye that was yellower, or lighter, then the coconut oil is DEFINATELY contributing to fading the dye on top and bringing that yellow out.

To start - I am ash obsessed (I am naturally dark ash).

I had yellower hair over the summer (former stylists' stupidity) and I have been trying for months to get back to dark ash. I also have been doing overnight coconut oil treatments 2x a week and light oil everyday to tame the floofing.

I am getting salon quality Paul Mitchell dye that is ashier than ash put on there. I have a water filter installed in my shower, I'm using the Purple S&C, and my new color looks ash and is toned with purple..... for like a week - then that ugly yellow pulls back through - getting yellower as the weeks go on?!?!

Then just TODAY I discovered on LHC that Coconut oil must be the culprit. I am doing everything else right, and it's the only product I use with consistency and deep tratments.

I hate that I discovered that oils can strip color this late in the game :brickwall It all makes sense now though....... especiallly since the fading is worse on the ends than the virgin roots/ top portion of head.

Just food for thought.

Oh, and BTW - when using the color shampoos, make sure you don't use those alone, as they tend to dry hair out.... Hello - they have a little bit of DYE in them? I do 1/2 color deposit S&C and 1/2 Garnier 3x Nutrition every time I wash.

AWESOME !! I just realized from some other threads that I think the oils are the villian, here !!! So, coconut oil will head to the kitchen...........and I guess I will sell my full size Panacea that I just bought!!

:monkey: Oh, well....*sighs* at least I now know.......