PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever gone from really long to really short?

Bazinga
October 12th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Have any of you ever cut their hair from long to really short (like pixie or so) and if so why did you do it?
I once did it because of a mix of being bored by long hair and wanting to shock my friends and family. I really liked that pixie cut on me but it did not take long and I wanted long hair again. Now I let it grow again and I hope with all these updos you can find here I won't be bored by my hair again. :)

(If there is a similar thread please feel free to show me because I couldn't find one)

ElusiveMuse
October 12th, 2011, 09:31 AM
I was about TBL and cut to chin length.

Actually, the hairdresser wouldn't do it! She cut it to APL and said I could come back and she'd cut it shorter at no charge but she was scared to cut it as short as I asked since it was so long. I went home and chopped it to my chin with kitchen scissors. (Yeah, I didn't know much about good haircare then.) But I think it looked nice! But I really prefer long hair, I think it works better with my natural curly/wurly texture. I straightened my hair every time I washed it when it was shorter.

In this pic it had grown out a bit and was just starting to skim the tops of my shoulders.
http://i53.tinypic.com/16iwq68.jpg

The reason I cut it was because I was working as an aid at a middle school and, at the age of 25, was being asked for my hall pass a little too frequently. I thought it might make me look more my age if I had shorter hair (I don't think it did) and I think I had just seen that vampire movie Underworld and figured I would probably look as hot as Kate Beckinsale if I cut my hair like hers (I didn't). C'est la vie! Growing it back long now.

IanB
October 12th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Over the years I've done it three times in all, mainly due from pressures at work, job hunting etc. Now I'm retired I'm just letting it grow :)

AMD
October 12th, 2011, 09:38 AM
I did once (its the short cut that I'm now growing out). I was tired of having long hair for most of my life, and left it short for 2 years. It frames my face well, but I'm finally tired of the short (and the heat damage from straightening)

mom2fourgirls
October 12th, 2011, 10:13 AM
I did it with the birth of my third child... Having had long hair most of my life I guess I just got tired of it and wanted a change.. I went from tailbone length to chin length bob that I am growing out now.. It's little past my shoulders and I am aiming for waist :) can't wait and good luck growing..

camara
October 12th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I did, only recently. It was slightly past classic and now the longest strands are about 1.5 inch.

I´m not quite sure why I did it, I got the sudden urge to chop. At first I cut about three inches myself, to find out if this was really what I wanted. A few days later I had a hairdresser cut it to waist and the week after into an asymmetrical bob. The bob only lasted a few days, and since October 5 it is short.

Now I´m growing it out again. It looks ok, if a bit manly, but in the end I think I prefer long hair.

Madora
October 12th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Yes. From 47 inches to shoulders, because of a medical problem. Short hair is b o r i n g!

motormuffin
October 12th, 2011, 11:09 AM
I cut mine from TB to pixie. I was rock climbing a lot and it just became too much. I don't think they made those little claw clips at the time and I just could get it to stay out of the way.

PixxieStix
October 12th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Well, I went from BSL/Waist to 1 inch, and from there to a shaved head on and off for three years because I was sooooooo sick of my hair pulling disorder and figured, hey, if I don't *have* the hair, then I won't pull it and make myself feel bad! (In case you were wondering, it did not work to help cure me, lol!)

So, I haven't seen long hair on myself in about 7 years, and now that I went through behavior modification therapy and get bribed with a scalp massage every night by my FH if I didn't pull out any hair that day, it is growing. I was going to keep it short and wait for it to finish filling in on top, but honestly, I think that is going to be another year or two, and in that time, I could gain so much length! So, here's to me, and finally being at peace with my hair so that it can grow. I've always thought of myself as a long haired girl, and even after 7 years it still looks strange to me in the mirror every day to see short hair.

I promised myself I would never, ever again cut off my hair again willingly, and plan on having it waist length or longer for the rest of my life once I get there, and cherish it every day. It's no longer my enemy, it is a part of me, and all of me deserves to be loved and cared for. Lol, sorry if that's TMI.

I think the hardest part of having a bald head, or hair only grown out an inch or so with obvious bald patches/thin spots was all the women who would come up to me and tell me how brave I was for being unashamed to walk around without a wig on while going through chemo for breast cancer. :blush: Soooooo many people thought I was a cancer patient, and sometimes I didn't know how to tell them I wasn't going through something nearly so devastating and I did not deserve their praise or comfort for it. So, yeah, never doing short hair or shaved head again unless I don't have a choice.

But, I did have a woman I dog sit for who went through chemo for breast cancer, and I did have wigs I would wear once in a while, so it was fun for us to share about our "pull on hair". Her hair is growing back beautifully, but she had had waist length brown, whurly hair before she lost it. She's growing too!

darklyndsea
October 12th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I went from classic to shoulder length. Yeah, I told the haircutter to cut it to BSL. :mad:

But the reason I got it cut at all was because I was getting really annoyed at having to swish it out of the way every time I sat down/went to the bathroom, and figured that I'd have a while before it got long enough for that again.

CurlyGirly
October 12th, 2011, 12:34 PM
I cut from waist to almost not quite pixie. When I got it done in the salon everyone was gasping and making it into this huge deal. I got it done because I wanted a drastic change in my life. It was also during a period of time when I left my exhusband, so I think that the cutting of the hair was like the new me getting it together to leave an unhappy situation. I loved my new hair.

Kyaatje
October 12th, 2011, 01:39 PM
I did a couple of times from longish (bsl) to pixie or even shaven
As for why ... just for fun/change and shocked expressions. I liked every style, I'm just not really good at keeping one or "doing" things with my hair LOL

MrsGuther
October 12th, 2011, 01:54 PM
I've cut from waist+ to shoulder length with lots of layers. BIG MISTAKE.

Kumiko033
October 12th, 2011, 01:59 PM
When I was about 9 years old...I went from Classic length to neck-length to well... (In 2 weeks), a pixie! To be correctly a grandma-ish curly pixie bwaha I looked horrible but I loved it and hated my long hair back then since it was always in the way.

But back then it I had to cut it because of being ill, now it's from a broken heart and pure stupidity (:

Intransigentia
October 12th, 2011, 03:19 PM
I went from mid-back to a pixie, because I had repeatedly bleached it to dye it blue, and finally it had enough and turned into a single, giant, mushy-feeling dreadlock/felted thing. I put on a toque and went to the hairdressers and they cut all the damage off. I actually looked really good with the shorter haircut and kept my hair short for a few years, because I was having fun with colour. (I think I look good with long hair too; now I get my kicks from experimenting with new updos instead of new colours)

pennyroyal
October 12th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Years ago i cut from to about shoulder length & it was about TB length at the time. I did it just because i wanted a change. I loved it at the time but now i really miss having long hair so after lots of pixies & bobs i am finally growing out again.

Sakuracha
October 12th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I went from somewhere between tailbone and classic cut up to a chin bob. It was during a time in life when people suggested that one does that after a certain phase such as getting married or something to show maturity (which I completely disagree with now, years later). I ended up looking much younger, one lady even said I looked thirteen while in my twenties, that was awkward. Long hair again for me. :)

MissManda
October 12th, 2011, 04:21 PM
When I was around twelve years old, I had hair that must have been somewhere between Hip and Tailbone length (it might have been longer since the stylist assigned to me said that she didn't want to cut off two feet of hair unless I really wanted her to). I had it cut off into a hideous chin-length bob style that I liked for maybe a day and then I regretted it.

BlazingHeart
October 12th, 2011, 04:58 PM
I went from hip to a...well, it was SUPPOSED to be a pixie, but the stylist didn't know how to thin out super-thick hair to make that work, so I ended up hating the cut. I've gone from that length to a pageboy, which I loved. I've bounced back and forth between short and long for more than half of my life. I guess I like the variety.

~Blaze

CaityBear
October 12th, 2011, 05:04 PM
I went from waist (the longest I ever had it at that time) to chin length (the shortest I've ever had it) just because I wanted to. I loved, loved, loved the chin length hair. But not once it got 1 inch longer. Right now I'm at classic and some time in the next year or two I will be chopping it all off to go back to chin then regrow.

Yame
October 12th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Not really from really long to really short, but when I was 11 I had my hair around BSL or slightly longer, and cut it to something shorter than a bob but not quite a pixie.

I just wanted a change and shorter hair was "in" around then. All the girls loved it, many even copied my cut. All the boys hated it! :cheese:

Rowan1980
October 12th, 2011, 05:15 PM
When I was in 4th grade, I went from waist-length to shoulder, then slightly below my chin. Why? A couple of kids were making fun of my long hair. No lie. They were dumbfounded when I came into class with short hair. In retrospect, it was not one of my brighter moves. :P

FrozenBritannia
October 12th, 2011, 05:19 PM
When I was about 8 I went from hip to shoulders... and I hated the cut so much, I cried and begged them to cut it shorter, and so within days my aunt pulled out the razor and gave me a mushroom cut. :D (it was a truly horrible reverse pageboy- like they do in the comedy'history movies for the ugly guy blowing the horn to announce people arriving, and with my super skinniness I looked like a bobble head doll, because I had quite thick hair at the time)
That cut still makes me shudder to think of..

DarleneH
October 12th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Yes. I had waist length hair, I chopped it off to take a job that required hair not touch your collar, and I absolutely hated it. The job didn't work out either so that just added injury to insult (not sticking with the job was injurious, losing my hair because to a job was insulting).

Metallia
October 12th, 2011, 05:33 PM
When I was in middle school I went from hair past my shoulders to very very short... however I didn't know what to do with it at that point and just blow dried it straight back (my hair is curly). It was not good. I got made fun of because it looked like the hair styles all the 'old lady teachers' wore.
A few years ago I went from BSL to between my ears and chin (dry) which was a huge change. It was cute, and worked well with my curls, but long term it's just not for me. If I don't take care of it I get pyramid hair- ironic that my shorter hair took so much longer to take care of!

Kathie
October 12th, 2011, 05:55 PM
BSL to shoulder length is the biggest cut I've done. BSL is the longest my hair has ever been. I did it over a few weeks. I guess I got excited about how nice my hair felt after a cut so I kept going back for more. Before I knew it I no longer had long hair :( Never again.

MaryRose
October 12th, 2011, 06:36 PM
My hair was BSL+ when I cut it to pixie. I was living in South Texas at the time where the wind doesn't stop. My hair was so frizzy, I never had a good hair day. So I chopped it to Pixie and loved it. I kept it that way for a year. Then we moved to Virginia and decided there was no need to keep it short anymore. I loved my hair short and now I can't wait for it to be long.

mom2fourgirls
October 12th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I went from waist (the longest I ever had it at that time) to chin length (the shortest I've ever had it) just because I wanted to. I loved, loved, loved the chin length hair. But not once it got 1 inch longer. Right now I'm at classic and some time in the next year or two I will be chopping it all off to go back to chin then regrow.

may I ask why you are chopping it to regrow it !! just curious...

Debra83
October 12th, 2011, 08:26 PM
I went from waist, twice, to ears. sigh. Liked it for a short time both times....

apple cupcake
October 12th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Yes ): I cut it from almost waist to just below my shoulders. I hated it two days after I did it. I would lay in bed at night, clutching the remains of my beautiful hair, and cry myself to sleep while listening to Celine Dion.

Okay, I wasn't that dramatic but I was pretty upset.

I've also had it cut to my chin. It was disgusting on me!

racrane
October 12th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I had grown to waist length hair my senior year in high school. I was cast as Nellie in "South Pacific" in the spring, however. They begged me to cut my hair and so I did, to chin length. I was okay with it and grew it out to shoulder ish. However, I went through a lot of emotional turmoil since then and now that I feel healthy again, I want my hair long and happy.

But I was so sad to see all my hard work gone in one cut. :(

kidari
October 12th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Only once and I'm ashamed to admit that I cried. Ever since then I take it in baby steps... same goes for color.

christine1989
October 12th, 2011, 10:31 PM
I had waist (almost hip) length hair in highschool then cut it to a very layered pixie. I never regretted it and it was probably my favorite haircut I've ever had. Granted, the grow out stage was pretty unpleasant bur once it got to a bob it was tolerable again.

Now I'm just too lazy to style a trendy short haircut plus my hair grows too fast to keep it up so I'm going back to long hair for a while.

Changling
October 13th, 2011, 06:56 AM
When I was 15, I cut my BSL hair to a pixie. I did it because I had never had hair that short, I was bored with my hair and frustrated because it was dull, damaged and uncooperative, and I thought it would be easier to style and take care of (I was wrong). I liked it okay I guess, but I had a REALLY hard time growing it out again - it would get to that first awkward stage, and I'd just get fed up and have it cut again :/

BabyFirefly
October 13th, 2011, 07:11 AM
I did cut my hair a few years back, from almost waist to above shoulder. I didn't take care of it and it was almost impossible to brush. The hair in my neck was in a dreadlock state and i finally gave up on it. I regret it every single day. But now I am on my way to long hair again!

bunzfan
October 13th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Yes when i was about 17 i cut my almost waist length hair into a pixie in one go, the stylist didn't want to do it but i said i won't be upset and i wasn't it really suited me i was fed up of been taken for about 10.

Then again when i was about 23 i grow it really long again and had the same thing done but i cried because it was such a bad cut.

JellyBene
October 13th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Yes, when I was 13 I had gorgeous hip length hair and I went to SuperCuts (BAD BAD BAD idea) and got it cut to nose length. WORST. HAIRCUT. EVER.

longhairedwolf
October 13th, 2011, 06:23 PM
When I was 12, I had my TBL hair cut into a pixie. A curly pixie :o

I've had it short ever since. The longest I've had it is between shoulder length and APL. Now I'm ready for a change, so I'm growing it.

DancingQueen
October 14th, 2011, 02:59 AM
Until I was 12 or so, I had long hair, maybe until mid back. But the ends were really damaged, and I had to cut off a lot, and then I decided, why not shoulder length? It have pretty much been short ever since, until I decided to grow it out. :)

Diamond.Eyes
October 14th, 2011, 02:10 PM
In 7th grade, my hair was naturally red and almost down to my knees. But, when I was in 8th grade I went through an akward stage and cut off all my hair and dyed it black. :/