PDA

View Full Version : cones - I'm gettin' crazy up in here

archel
October 12th, 2011, 06:51 AM
I haven't used cones in something like a year and a half, but last night I got tired of my hair sticking together to where I can hardly finger comb it and French braiding is a pain. I used some of my old Organix Coconut Anti-breakage Serum last night and WOW!! Braiding my hair was a dream, only surpassed by braiding it after a heavy castor oiling (which obviously I'm not going to do for daytime).

So, after my wash today I think I will try it again. It says to use on damp hair so I will use aloe gel first and then try and seal it in with the cones. We'll see if it works or if I end up with a disaster. I'll clarify it out once a week with my Giovanni 50:50.

I'm going to keep using my SLS and cone free shampoo though, since I have TONS of it. Seriously, when you see something half off at Marshall's you feel like you have to buy it RIGHT THEN.

JamieLeigh
October 12th, 2011, 06:58 AM
I've been using cones on the bottom foot or so of my hair this year, although overall I've been cone-free CO-ing since February 2009. I don't have any kind of damage - just the normal wear and tear of having it this long and not trimming it at all for a year, but it was getting to the point that if I didn't find some way to give those ends a little slip, I'd likely have ended up cutting it off before my year is up. I'm normally a frequent trimmer, so I had no idea how grabby untrimmed ends can get, even with S&D, regular oiling and minimal shampoo. :(

I also stepped outside the box and started using a shampoo bar/ACV rinse combo for my clarifying days instead of a regular clarifying 'poo. *gasp!*

We're such rebels. ;)

archel
October 12th, 2011, 07:01 AM
I wish the shampoo bars worked for me, but I have soft water and it's just a nightmare. I LOVE the idea of having no bottles to throw away, but sadly they just make my hair a total mess. Ah well!

I'm in love with my Giovanni Smooth as Silk for CWC and the conditioner gives a lot of slip, so that's not going to change. But that serum made my braiding a breeze and I braid every night before bed. So......now I'm wondering if the moroccan oil I have turned my nose up at would give me that luscious slip too. (I use argan oil and it's wonderful, but I still get velcro ends even at APL). I guess if I switch to the coney serums, I can save money on the argan oil since I would only be using it for my face then. (Best moisturizer EVER.)

archel
October 12th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Also, I don't think I'll ever S and D. I'm blind as a bat PLUS if I go there, I'll get obsessive and do too much, LOL

PinkyCat
October 12th, 2011, 07:04 AM
JamieLeigh - "the bottom foot or so of my hair..." someday I'll be able to say that!

archel
October 12th, 2011, 07:12 AM
I know, I read "the bottom foot or so" and I was all *swoon* - one day, one day

MychelleC
October 12th, 2011, 11:01 AM
I wish the shampoo bars worked for me, but I have soft water and it's just a nightmare. I LOVE the idea of having no bottles to throw away, but sadly they just make my hair a total mess. Ah well!

Love 'cones. Love them. Have you tried a syndet shampoo bar? It is a shampoo bar made of shampoo ingredients, not soap. They are a dream! I make my own, but these from Get Lathered on Etsy are amazing: http://www.etsy.com/people/GetLathered?ref=ls_profile. I can't rave enough about shampoo-based shampoo bars!

spidermom
October 12th, 2011, 11:19 AM
I find that the effects of my coney serum last through 2-3 washings with gentle, sulfate-free shampoo. A little serum goes a long way, and it's great stuff!