PDA

View Full Version : Spray bottles... now what?

ssjhotau2
October 12th, 2011, 01:42 AM
I bought a couple of spray bottles at my work, some distilled water, and some ACV.

I would like to make a real spray bottle for my hair, right now I'm just using plain water with a bit of vanilla extract and cinnamon added for smell.

What does everyone put in their own spray bottles, what is it suppose to do, and how well does it work?

rock007junkie
October 12th, 2011, 09:40 AM
HI! I use my spray bottle to smooth my hair down when bunning or braiding my hair and to give it some extra moisture. In my bottle I have hibiscus tea, aloe vera juice (or gel) and any essential oil I think smells good. Some of my favorites are Jasmine and Cinnamon oil.

Bazinga
October 12th, 2011, 09:47 AM
I've got a spray bottle filled with rooibos tea (look up the rooibos tea experiment thread, it sounds promising :) ). I spray it on my scalp in the morning and in the evening. It makes may hair soft and shiny, too.

hendricks82
October 12th, 2011, 09:58 AM
I'm listening in too. So is the aloe vera the secret to those glowing smooth updos? Mine are more fluffy less sleek (much better since I have been doing coconut oil though). I'm looking for that perfect balance between soft and shiny but not heavy and oily.

StarryPaint
October 12th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I'm a newbie and hoping to start a spray-bottle routine. I was thinking of using hibiscus tea- does it help with color, or just help with shine?
I use hibiscus in my henna mixture, but I haven't thought of using it in a spray bottle . . .hmmmm intriguing.

ssjhotau2
October 12th, 2011, 06:48 PM
I tried looking through the articles and I couldn't find anything on the first few pages, plus I'm impatient. So I used one spray bottle- mixed a bit of distilled water with coconut oil and Vitamin E oil and just a splash of acv- then I filled the rest with herbal tea. I'll use a bit tonight when I bun for bed.
I tried to find rooibos tea as that would have been preferable to herbal, but I couldn't- the closest thing we have at my store is the Tazo rooibos vanilla chai latte. We don't have hibiscus either :(

Asche
October 12th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Right now I'm using vodka mixed with a splash of orange and lemon essential oils and grapeseed oil. I found this mix kinda by accident. I had always heard vodka was good to add to your deep condish (which is very true for me, my hair likez da alcoholz lol) so i spritzed some straight vodka on my dry hair one day and was ABSOLUTELY BLOWN AWAY by the result...go figure.... Anyways I spritz it in and comb it through before wrapping for bedtime and again in the morning when I'm styling it. This has become the ONLY product I use lately and my hair is LOVING IT!

Columbia River
October 12th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Me too! "Right now I'm using vodka mixed with a splash of orange and lemon..." I keep it chilled and spray in my mouth a few times, then my mini mullet doesnt bother me so bad! ( ;) kidding)

I use my spray bottles with, one water and some acv also....and another one I use is about 10 ounces, I use water and one tablespoon sea salt, spray at my roots, blowdry on medium heat and POOF! I have me some body!

teal
October 12th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Pandora's Growth Formula! (http://pandoraslocks.blogspot.com/2011/01/pandoras-soothing-scalp-and-growth.html) :cheese:

Asche
October 12th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Me too! "Right now I'm using vodka mixed with a splash of orange and lemon..." I keep it chilled and spray in my mouth a few times, then my mini mullet doesnt bother me so bad! ( kidding)

LOLZ! :D Yea I figured the alcoholic nature of my spray bottles would earn me a fun response or two! (And yes I've made more than one bottle, one in my bathroom and one in my car for...uhhh....touchups! Yea we'll go with touchups...:D)

SoulOfTheSea
October 12th, 2011, 08:55 PM
I use Kimberlily's defrizz spray with my spray bottle, it works wonders for when I want braid waves or a smooth neat bun!

It can be found here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277 :)

kidari
October 12th, 2011, 10:21 PM
There's a cool thread on here called "what is in your mister?" I suggest getting a travel size mister since they usually spray more in a fine mist and allows you to make smaller batches and experiment. Aloe vera tends to make my hair crunchy, I dislike the smell of coconut oil when it's mixed with water and nothing else... then I found the perfect combination for me: the tiniest squirt of V05 kiwi lime squeeze conditioner with distilled water. I use it to detangle my hair as well as for damp bunning. My hair has to be fully dried and only sprayed in certain areas before I put it up or else it will never fully dry or get crunchy ends. Have fun experimenting! I got a few travel size misters. I got a regular spray bottle but found that it sprayed way too much for my tastes.

rock007junkie
October 13th, 2011, 06:14 AM
I'm a newbie and hoping to start a spray-bottle routine. I was thinking of using hibiscus tea- does it help with color, or just help with shine?
I use hibiscus in my henna mixture, but I haven't thought of using it in a spray bottle . . .hmmmm intriguing.

So far I havent seen any chabge in color....however, I've also been hennaing so I really can't tell. I use it in my henna as well. It seems to make my hair softer and maybe shinier.

redmj
October 13th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Right now I'm using vodka mixed with a splash of orange and lemon essential oils and grapeseed oil. I found this mix kinda by accident. I had always heard vodka was good to add to your deep condish (which is very true for me, my hair likez da alcoholz lol) so i spritzed some straight vodka on my dry hair one day and was ABSOLUTELY BLOWN AWAY by the result...go figure.... Anyways I spritz it in and comb it through before wrapping for bedtime and again in the morning when I'm styling it. This has become the ONLY product I use lately and my hair is LOVING IT!

So what does the vodka do for your hair? Does your hair smell like vodka? I work in a church and am thinking that wouldn't be such a good thing. Also would any other kind work?

LoveMyLongHair
October 13th, 2011, 09:47 AM
*jumping on board* I learn so much from you ladies !!!!

Neecola
October 13th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Pandora's Growth Formula! (http://pandoraslocks.blogspot.com/2011/01/pandoras-soothing-scalp-and-growth.html) :cheese:

Thanks for sharing this, teal! How long have you been using it for and did you notice an increase in growth?

Slamca
October 13th, 2011, 01:08 PM
In one spray bottle I have olive oil and water - I shake the bottle well before using so it mixes. The other one is Kimberlily's defrizz spray, minus the glycerin and a third one only has water in it :)

Asche
October 14th, 2011, 09:20 AM
So what does the vodka do for your hair? Does your hair smell like vodka? I work in a church and am thinking that wouldn't be such a good thing. Also would any other kind work?

Lol I used to work for a daycare that was a part of a church and no one ever said anything about my hair smelling like vodka. Vodka just smells like rubbing alcohol to me (cause I buy the cheapest stuff I can find for my hair :p $12.20 for 1.75L) and it takes on the scent of what ever oil/fragrance you choose to add to it. My hair LOVES alcohols like the fatty alcohols in cheap conditioners and the more astringent kinds like ethanol and cytil(sp?)/rubbing alcohol. When I was eight I would use my mom's sea breeze astringent on my scalp before shampooing and would end up with SUPER silky shiny hair with ABSOLUTLY NO FRIZZ. I started the vodka thing because when I was a teenager a friend of mine made a comment about the shine spray I used on my hair when I flat ironed it. He said "You know that stuff is just vodka and silicone right? Trust me, I used to use that stuff too. Now I just use vodka and some leave in and I don't even have to flat iron my hair any more." And yea this guy had beautiful long thick blonde hair. So I tried it and have been using it ever since (I don't flat iron anymore either. I just spray, bun, and go :)). I don't really know why it works (i still feel like it should be drying my hair out but if I put too much on my hair looks oily so...:confused:) My guess is that because oil will dissolve in alcohol so when I spray and comb through, it helps to spread my natural oils down the hair shaft. Or maybe it just boosts the effectiveness of whatever other products I've used on my hair. I dunno LOL

heidi w.
October 14th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I would never recommend making a spray bottle with ACV in it to spritz on the hair. It should be rinsed out of the hair; it's a rinse.

If you want to explore home remedy's buy the book Naturally Healthy Hair by Mary Beth Janssen. There's an entire section on home recipes for hair care, rinses, shampoo, conditioner. All of it.

heidi w.