PDA

View Full Version : Frizzy braid waves

Blueneko
July 4th, 2008, 09:33 AM
I love the look of braid waves... on everyone else.

My braid waves seem a bit dry and frizzy. Is this a common occurance? I braid while my hair is wet. Is that the issue? Should I utilize aloe or something to cut down on the poofy frizz?

Every braid wave photo I see here is of lovely, shiny locks. Colour me happily jealous!

eadwine
July 4th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Every picture you see is of just braided hair ;) Everyone's braids will look like a frizzball after a few hours, so don't sweat it, it is normal :)

mommy2one05
July 4th, 2008, 09:52 AM
I fight with this today alot. That is why if I braid my hair for bed most of the time the next morning I am using a spray bottle to get my hair really wet and comb them out. :( Gel of any kind does seem to help some.

betsala
July 4th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Every picture you see is of just braided hair ;) Everyone's braids will look like a frizzball after a few hours, so don't sweat it, it is normal :)
i think eadwine is right on about this! i will say that oiling my hair before braiding does keep it smoother for longer.

Faepirate
July 4th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Um, I have a couple of questons about braidwaves (which I am going to attempt after my next wash!).

1. Should the braids be almost dry when I take them out? Or does it not matter if they're still very damp? I can't imagine my hair will dry very thoroughly when it's braided up, as when I bun it it comes out damp even after 24 hours.

2. Are you supposed to leave the waves alone? i.e. not even combing? What's the best way to make braidwaves look presentable without actually grooming them into a frizzy mess?

I might be able to answer my own questions tomorrow when I try this out. I'll see how it goes. ;)

spidermom
July 4th, 2008, 11:23 AM
My braid waves look best if I merely take the tie off the end and let them unwind themselves. Any combing or running my fingers through my hair causes frizz.

My braids look best if I use a little aloe vera gel and coconut oil. Even with that, they get pretty fluffy-looking by the end of a day.

If I braid at night when my hair is wet and take it out in the morning while it's still damp, the strands tend to spiral curl and look very pretty.

Aisha25
July 4th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Try when your hair is dry and you had rub some coconut oil on them,then braid it. Maybe that will lessen the frizzies.

eresh
July 4th, 2008, 03:29 PM
My braid stays the longest frizzfree when I mist it with water and a few drops of an EO before I braid it :-)
But even then after a day it has frizz, I think this is normal as not every hair has the same length, they peep out.

Ohio Sky
July 4th, 2008, 03:59 PM
SNIP

Not sure what happened there...

lora410
July 4th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Mine usually do but I learned a trick. Braid when damp and smooth some oil on the braids and tassel. Also doing pigtail braids helps alot becuase it creates smaller waves. Anyway, this works for me ;)

Ohio Sky
July 4th, 2008, 04:04 PM
My post dissapeared... hmm.

Anyways, heres how I do it:
I let my hair dry to barely damp before braiding. Faepirate, everones hair is different, but I find the waves wont stay if my hair is still damp when I unbraid.

I use a mixture of aloe, shea and coconut oil pretty generously as I braid. It makes soft, shiny waves and not dry frizzy ones. Pay special attention to the tassle.

Spidermom is right- even finger combing = poof. Try not to mess with it.

If they start to frizz, a little more oil will tame it, and if you put it on light enough, it wont drag down the waves.

Hope that helps!

Angellen
July 4th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Mine usually do but I learned a trick. Braid when damp and smooth some oil on the braids and tassel. Also doing pigtail braids helps alot becuase it creates smaller waves. Anyway, this works for me ;)

For me, thinner braids are okay for a while, but I find that two braids create more poof than one. If I do just one braid, my hair is much less likely to poof, and it isn't massive 'poofing' like it sometimes is with two (or more) braids.

Adding oil is helpful, but too much will make it feel very lank, in my experience. For me, the best route is one loose braid (looser looks more natural) with coconut oil on the length. :)

FrannyG
July 4th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Blueneko, I would definitely suggest a little bit of aloe on your damp hair before braiding. Also, never brush braid waves, just finger comb them ever so lightly. Even my 1a hair will go frizzy if I brush braidwaves.

Gumball
July 4th, 2008, 04:28 PM
My braids get furry so it's just natural the waves caused by them would be at least a little furry, too. I swear I have Chia-Hair. No matter how it's groomed it will always grow sprouts.

sapphire-o
July 4th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Ya, never comb or brush if you want to leave it down. I just finger comb a little bit and shake it a bit. I braid my hair when it's slightly damp.

janaana
July 4th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I find I get less frizz if I plait my hair in the evening, ready to be left overnight, when it's completely dry, i.e. on a non washing day but when I've just been in a humid atmosphere, e.g. kitchen doing the washing up, bathroom having a shower or after doing the ironing. This seems to give me just enough moisture to fix the waves but without making them so strong that they frizz up when brushed the next day.

Tangles
July 4th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I'm with you on this. Braid waves make my hair look thin, ropey, scraggly, dry... bunned waves, on the other hand, give me body and a thicker look.

Curlsgirl
July 4th, 2008, 09:04 PM
I don't do braid waves on purpose but sometimes when I want to go out and my hair is still damp I braid it and then it's dry when I take it out. They always look weird, not frizzy really but not a pretty wave at all. Just..weird. I am not sure if it's my hairtype or the way I braid or what but I don't like them on me. I think it is not frizzy because I always use coconut oil and leave-in conditioner on my hair while it's still damp. I am pretty sure it would be if I didn't do this.

Masara
July 5th, 2008, 12:24 AM
I find that the smaller (and tighter) the braid, the more likely my hair is going to frizzy/poofy when I take them out. I get the best braid waves from z single five strand braid, the waves are looser.

kwaniesiam
July 5th, 2008, 12:30 AM
I wore my hair in braid waves regularly when down when it was longer, I'd do a french braid on mostly dry hair, then mist it with some water and run a bit of coconut oil down the length. By morning it would be dry, and I'd scrunch a bit of aloe gel in it.

sakuraemily
February 28th, 2013, 05:08 AM
I know this is an old thread, but thank goodness!
I thought I was the only one who's hair went all frizzy with braid waves. Everyone here seems to love them so much.
My hair had been very well-behaved yesterday, it was not frizzy even after 8 hours of not combing and 10 minutes of being blown in the wind. But today after I'd braided at night my hair was soo frizzy.

Coolcombination
February 28th, 2013, 01:28 PM
I braid my hair when damp and only take them out when they are completely dry.

Iolanthe13
February 28th, 2013, 06:06 PM
I usually have frizzy braid waves, too. I rarely braid except the day before washing, because the ends seem so ugly and dry if I do! Not sure why... I do find that my braid waves are smoother if I brush thoroughly with a BBB on washing day (after the hair is fully dry). On those occasions I can take the plait out later and brush it with no frizz at all, just nice volume. I never really wear braid waves down for any length of time though.

jacqueline101
February 28th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Oh yes mine does it. It's normal.

AdaClare
March 2nd, 2013, 08:38 PM
Mine always get frizzy by the end of the day, too. :\ Wish it wasn't so! :doh:

JCFantasy23
March 7th, 2013, 01:26 AM
No, I hate braid waves in my hair. I so WISH they would work as it would be more reliable than buns and such, but alas, no. Mine are instantly frizzy and stay that way. They also make the ends and bottom part of my hair look thinner and stringy. :(

Elithia
March 7th, 2013, 05:09 PM
I don't know if it has something to do with hair texture ... ? This is what braid waves look like on me ... http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3066&d=1362553189

Massive, frizzy, and wavy-curly, a kind of disrupted version of my natural curl pattern. But I suspect that people with straighter textures get calmer braidwaves. :) I don't remember what kind of braids I had done -- probably two Dutch braids. I know that they're smoother with a single braid, and I actually get better results braiding while it's on the wet side of damp. (But I don't wear braidwaves down much, so your mileage may vary.)_

Amygirl8
March 7th, 2013, 07:58 PM
I apparently have very enviable and very natural looking braidwaves, since I get compliments every time I do it.
It's the only way my hair can be shiny and not stringy the whole day when loose, (which is why I only do it every so often :rolleyes:)

I get my hair wet, then let it dry. When I begin to braid before I do I put some body lotion down the length (great smell and helps combat post-wash dryness) and spritz it and then do two braids.
I sleep on it and then take it out the next day. I don't comb it or separate it with my fingers, I just unbraid, stretch a little and am good to go.