PDA

View Full Version : It puts the oil in its hair...

Magdalene
October 11th, 2011, 04:43 PM
now how does it get it OUT?

I overoiled, and it won't wash out. Help! I don't have time to let it wear off!

Madora
October 11th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Sometimes it takes more than one washing. Also, it could be that the oil isn't reacting well with the shampoo you're using, so perhaps changing the shampoo and washing again might solve your problem. Good luck!

jujube
October 11th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Lots of members use conditioner to get oils out. I find that whenever I've overoiled, I just have to saturate my hair in a light cone-free conditioner and leave it to soak in for a few minutes. Rinse out very well, and then you might want to use shampoo to make sure everything's clean.

JadeTigress
October 11th, 2011, 04:58 PM
When I waaaay overoiled one time, conditioner wouldn't get it out. I let it sit for about 5 or 10 minutes, and there was still a ton of oil in my hair. Then I tried again and let it sit for almost an hour. There was still a ton of oil in my hair. I broke out the clarifying shampoo, and that didn't work either.

What I finally tried as a last ditch effort was mixing baking soda and shampoo in my palm, and then working it in my hair real good and letting it sit for a minute or so. I don't know how great that is for hair, but it worked like a charm, and I've learned to never put that much oil in my hair again. :p

CaityBear
October 11th, 2011, 04:58 PM
My no fail routine for oiled hair...

1. Slather the conditioner onto my dry oiled hair.
2. Let sit a half hour or more.
3. Hop in the shower, get the hair slightly wet then massage, massage, massage.
4. Pin hair up and let sit for a few minutes (while you wash your body or something)
5. Add a bit more water and massage again. Get a good lather going with the conditioner.
6. Remember to massage length! My biggest mistake is when I oil the length I forget to clean the length and only massage my scalp. Big, big mistake.
7. Now completely rinse out conditioner while massage.

And it never fails for me.

Conditioner dissolves the oil but it's about building up a lather with the conditioner and letting it sit. Just putting conditioner in your hair and letting it sit before rinsing will not get the oil out.

spidermom
October 11th, 2011, 05:21 PM
My no fail routine for oiled hair...

1. Slather the conditioner onto my dry oiled hair.
2. Let sit a half hour or more.
3. Hop in the shower, get the hair slightly wet then massage, massage, massage.
4. Pin hair up and let sit for a few minutes (while you wash your body or something)
5. Add a bit more water and massage again. Get a good lather going with the conditioner.
6. Remember to massage length! My biggest mistake is when I oil the length I forget to clean the length and only massage my scalp. Big, big mistake.
7. Now completely rinse out conditioner while massage.

And it never fails for me.

Conditioner dissolves the oil but it's about building up a lather with the conditioner and letting it sit. Just putting conditioner in your hair and letting it sit before rinsing will not get the oil out.

Sounds good. You can follow with a shampoo wash if you don't feel the oil is out.

einna
October 11th, 2011, 05:27 PM
A light cone free conditioner always works for me to.

CaityBear
October 11th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Sounds good. You can follow with a shampoo wash if you don't feel the oil is out.

If anything, I'll fill a bottle full of water and only add a tablespoon or so of shampoo and pour that over my hair while massaging. But I usually don't use shampoo at all.

emelnd
October 11th, 2011, 07:37 PM
I did this recently with grapeseed oil. I did a hot oil treatment and couldn't get it out with conditioner... I will never oil close to my scalp again. I got it out with shampooing 3 times with a shampoo bar.

long
October 11th, 2011, 08:11 PM
I have found working the shampoo into dry oiled hair is the only way I could get the oil out. I don't use oil on my scalp because of this, it seems to hard to get out.

ddiana1979
October 11th, 2011, 10:51 PM
What CaityBear said. If you have more than one type of conditioner siting around, I've found that some conditioners work better than others for removing the oil.

VikingVampChick
October 11th, 2011, 11:01 PM
baking soda cleanse works for me. 1 cup warm water to 1 tablespoon baking soda.

Between putting too much oil in my hair and using an oil-based (duh!) bar shampoo, I really overdid it. Yeah, I didn't think that one out. :p

CaityBear
October 12th, 2011, 12:01 AM
What CaityBear said. If you have more than one type of conditioner siting around, I've found that some conditioners work better than others for removing the oil.

Definitely! I probably should've mentioned that in my original reply. Runny, cone free conditioners work best...think Suave, White Rain, ones such as those. The runnier the better. I don't find the thick, coney ones work so well at all to clean.

Magdalene
October 12th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Conditioner got some of it out, but not all. I didn't even put it on my scalp- I guess it worked its way up.

I'll try baking soda tonight, I guess.

Lilli
October 12th, 2011, 08:42 AM
I just wanted to laugh at your thread title. Did it also put the lotion on its skin? :D

Magdalene
October 12th, 2011, 09:00 AM
of course!

PinkyCat
October 12th, 2011, 09:02 AM
I also LOL'd at the thread title! :D

BunnyBee
October 12th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Conditioner gets it out but you need to leave it on for a long time, like a couple hours ^_^ Never fails!

MissCoco
October 12th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Shampoo+baking soda mix followed by a strong Indian herbal rinse works for me (and I'm talking oversaturated-nearly dripping-heavily oiled hair here!). :p

nobeltonya
October 12th, 2011, 11:24 AM
My Sunsilk Thick and Long lathered really well, especially when heavily oiled [seemed to work better, actually]. The Black Shine not so much. Then conditioning the length generally removes the rest of the oil. Sometimes, because I oil like every or every other day, I have to go a day w/o oiling and still shampoo the length [once every 3-4 days] to remove buildup. I tried mixing baking soda w/the shampoo once or twice, but it started to lighten my hair..