PDA

View Full Version : Punky updo suggestions?

moxamoll
October 11th, 2011, 03:22 PM
It's been a while since I've worn my hair long and I'm out of practice with updos! I've been having fun playing around with ideas off of the thread, but I'm looking for something a bit different. I want to dress up for a live production of Rocky Horror Picture Show and do something awesome with my hair. I'm not going as any particular character, just bustier, skirt, fishnets and heels - homage to the genre as it were.

I have BSL length hair - maybe a smidge longer and bangs. Can anyone suggest an updo that would be a little wilder and punkier than a "good for everyday" braid or bun?
Thanks!!!

pink.sara
October 11th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Last time went to the Rocky horror show I wound my long hair into about 8 randomly sectioned cinnabuns like Bjork used to in the 90's then used a whole can of spray glitter.
Looks punky and no backcombing!
One tip is to wash it out not brush it though as that glitter stuff is a bit like hairspray and could damage if you did.

BlazingHeart
October 11th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Bantu knots, especially with little spiky bits of ends sticking out.

Kristin
October 11th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Faux hawk. I have a pic of my personal faux hawk experiment in my album.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7344&pictureid=96914
There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube for them as well. :)

FrozenBritannia
October 11th, 2011, 06:24 PM
When I was in highschool I used to put my hair in a ponytail, then wrap the length around once and pin it so that the ends stuck up over the rest like it was spiked. I think I used hairspray to make it spiky looking too. Fun!

I wish I could go see TRHPS... I'm going to PVR it this year tho! lol

moxamoll
October 12th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Ooooo... good ideas everyone, thanks! I'll have to experiment a bit before then. :)

And I definitely need to get posting so I can see the pictures!

spidermom
October 12th, 2011, 11:27 AM
What my son calls a dread-hawk - a series of small braids going down the center of the head like a mohawk would.

moxamoll
October 12th, 2011, 03:30 PM
What my son calls a dread-hawk - a series of small braids going down the center of the head like a mohawk would.

I'm trying to imagine this... what do you do with the rest? Or do you pull the side hair up into the outside braids?:confused:

Metallia
October 12th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I'm trying to imagine this... what do you do with the rest? Or do you pull the side hair up into the outside braids?:confused:
I'm wondering this was well... though I also can't help but imagine some sort of dire, vicious creature... the Dread Hawk! Like something out of the D&D Monster Manual.

Related to your original post, I usually do two buns at the back of my head if I'm going for something punky, but that's not all that risque depending on where you are.

spidermom
October 12th, 2011, 03:58 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/dreadhawk4.jpg
It's just like pulling all your hair back to make one braid, except you make a series of them, one after the other in a line down your head.

Helpful hint: nobody will appreciate it if you head bang with this style.

moxamoll
October 12th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Ummm... yeah. I do two buns like that to go to work! LOL The show is in Edmonton (Alberta, Canada - not England.) Which is pretty much like most big cities - a mix of conservative and not-so-much. It has a huge arts community for a city buried in the middle of stick in the mud Alberta though (and a pretty big cross-dressing community too, to keep us on our toes fashion risk-wise.)

I guess I want something tasteful but unusual and eye-catching. It IS the Rocky Horror after all! :)) I've been looking at Harajuku sites to see if I get any inspiration as well.

moxamoll
October 12th, 2011, 04:04 PM

It's just like pulling all your hair back to make one braid, except you make a series of them, one after the other in a line down your head.

:bounce::bounce::bounce:WOW!
I'm not sure if it's quite what I'm after for the show, but it is an awesome look. I'll have to try it sometime! My BF thinks I spend too much time playing with my hair already. He has no idea what's coming down that I've found this site. :eyebrows:

spidermom
October 12th, 2011, 04:14 PM
I've found a way since then to get those braids all the way to the ends, then wrap in a piece of wet ribbon, and put a small poly-band or rubber band around the ribbon. No matter if I do 2 or 10 braids, I always get a comment on this style.

I hope you find someting that suits you for Rocky Horror. What sort of a look do you have in mind?

moxamoll
October 12th, 2011, 04:18 PM
What sort of look do I have in mind? Ummm... What would Dita von Teese do if she wanted an updo to wear to Planet Transexual? Does that help? LOL

I have no idea what I'll actually end up with. :P

FrozenBritannia
October 12th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Ummm... yeah. I do two buns like that to go to work! LOL The show is in Edmonton (Alberta, Canada - not England.) Which is pretty much like most big cities - a mix of conservative and not-so-much. It has a huge arts community for a city buried in the middle of stick in the mud Alberta though (and a pretty big cross-dressing community too, to keep us on our toes fashion risk-wise.)

I guess I want something tasteful but unusual and eye-catching. It IS the Rocky Horror after all! :)) I've been looking at Harajuku sites to see if I get any inspiration as well.

Hey, it's not stick in the mud!!! It's stick in the snow :P My sister lives there. And I didn't even know there was an Edmonton England. I guess not surprising though.

moxamoll
October 12th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Hey, it's not stick in the mud!!! It's stick in the snow :P My sister lives there. And I didn't even know there was an Edmonton England. I guess not surprising though.

Obviously you weren't there for Folk Fest... oh 15 years ago or so. Mud, mud, mud, up to your knees and as far as the eye could see. But yes, they do snow well too. I grew up there and my parents still live there, I'm now in the far southern climes of Calgary. LOL

FrozenBritannia
October 12th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Obviously you weren't there for Folk Fest... oh 15 years ago or so. Mud, mud, mud, up to your knees and as far as the eye could see. But yes, they do snow well too. I grew up there and my parents still live there, I'm now in the far southern climes of Calgary. LOL

Fifteen years ago I was... 11. So no. :) But the snow did finally just melt in the storage shed in Edmonton in September. LOL. I'm north west of Edmonton and have to go there every few months. I much prefer Calgary :D

Metallia
October 12th, 2011, 06:01 PM

Zounds! That is awesome!

Shorty89
October 12th, 2011, 06:24 PM

There's an Edmonton, England? Wow. And Calgary is far better :D

sorry about the OT.

moxamoll
October 13th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Yup, there's an Edmonton, UK http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Edmonton,+United+Kingdom&hl=en&ll=51.62561,-0.058408&spn=0.019102,0.038581&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=40.827873,79.013672&vpsrc=6&hnear=Edmonton,+Greater+London,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=15

AND an Edmonton, US http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Edmonton,+KY,+United+States&hl=en&sll=35.652832,-97.478095&sspn=0.200022,0.308647&vpsrc=0&hnear=Edmonton,+Metcalfe,+Kentucky,+United+States&t=h&z=14

Those settlers obviously had more on their minds than original naming!

FrozenBritannia
October 13th, 2011, 08:33 AM
LMAO. If you can't live where you want- rename the place you live!

moxamoll
November 23rd, 2011, 03:28 PM
So, for those of you who are interested, I went to my stylist and got her to do my hair for Rocky Horror Picture Show. Here is the finished product:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9163&pictureid=119508
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9163&pictureid=119507

Amber_Maiden
November 23rd, 2011, 04:00 PM
Gorgeous! :D

moxamoll
November 23rd, 2011, 04:05 PM
Thanks Amber_Maiden, even though I know you've already seen the pics! :D

Anywhere
November 23rd, 2011, 04:13 PM
Looks lovely. :D

Nice tattoo as well. ;)