PDA

View Full Version : biotin users chime in pls

princess03
October 11th, 2011, 01:58 PM
( i think its biotin takers not users or sompin but watev ;))
So i bought a bottle of the lower dose of Spring Valley Biotin 1000 mcg (1mg) they are the non gel kind.

I read that Biotin can cause break outs. many reviews stated that after they added biotin supplements to their diet they broke out and that when stopped their face cleared back up.

I also read that it can be the fillers in the non gel tablets that can cause this

has anyone experienced break outs? if so, did you stick with them and after your body adjusted did the break outs stop?

I'm struggling with acne and started The Regimen from acne.org about 2 weeks ago

I really wanted to get the 1" in growth a month like many get from taking this supplement but my face clearing up is a gazillion times more important to me.

Please let me know your experiences :)

KwaveT
October 11th, 2011, 02:07 PM
I just started three days ago. This is why I am starting with a 500 mg dose to begin with to see how I am going to react.

Carolyn
October 11th, 2011, 02:23 PM
I've been taking extra biotin for years. I never experienced any breaking out. Not everyone does. You won't know until you try it. And you need to try it several times to know if it's really the biotin or something else. I did not experience any extra growth. I've been tracking my monthly growth for years. However, I did experience faster growing nails and better quality nails. I also got better quality hair as it grew. What I mean by that is I think the strands were a little thicker in diameter. In other words I don't think my hair was as fine as it was before taking the biotin. It may have decreased my shed rate but that could be the MSM I also take.

alyaziaaah
October 11th, 2011, 02:26 PM
I am using Biotin since feb 2011. I started with 5000 units, now I am down to 2000. I never had breakouts, my hair didn't grow more than half inch with biotin until now. But my hair actually stopped growing due to biotin and protein lack. My body doesn't produce biotin, also it can't produce L-cystein. Plus I am a vegetarian athlete with a low protein diet. Not good. So when I started Biotin with L-cystein and Paba, my hair started growing again, not only that, it is thicker in diameter and I grow more hairs! But half inch only per month. So now I will start with miconazole nitrate to get 1" or maybe 1.5??? :-)

JuliaDancer
October 11th, 2011, 02:37 PM
I've been taking Biotin for about a month now, and I haven't had any breakouts, or at least, nothing prolonged or out of the ordinary. I get a few pimples depending on the time of month, but I don't think the Biotin made it any worse. I haven't noticed anything with my hair yet, but my nails are sure growing faster and stronger. I can tell by how fast my nail polish grows out.

Peanutter
October 11th, 2011, 03:39 PM
I started Biotin on 8/26 Hair and stopped it last week on the 5th. I had pretty bad acne when I was a teen and have never had perfectly clear skin (I'm 28 now) but I started getting huge painful acne mid Sept, only a few at a time, but they were so far under the skin and lasted so long and I felt so ugly and embarrassed the whole time.

I noticed before the acne that I was getting a little oilier, but that wasn't a huge deterant as I was hoping for the 1/month hair. I didn't notice an increase in length, but I did get less shedding while using Biotin and my nails grew really long and strong.

If you have oil or acne prone skin I'd be wary, but it might be worth it if its only a little oil.

MsBubbles
October 11th, 2011, 03:45 PM
I'm 44 years old and started taking about 3,500 mcg of biotin a day about a week ago. Ok I skipped half of those doses, actually. I haven't had zits in about a decade but have had three little ones in the past week. If they get worse I will drop to a lower dosage.

Carolyn: I hope that happens to my strand thickness too!

BabyRay33
October 11th, 2011, 04:03 PM
When I was taking 3 of the same ones you are talking about per day....i started to get some cystic acne on my chin. I stopped taking it for a couple weeks and I'm only taking one a day now and I'm doing fine. I think it varies person to person, but maybe just start with half a pill and then increase...?

Mesmerise
October 11th, 2011, 04:10 PM
I use a skin, hair and nails supplement that contains 1500mg of biotin, but it's also got 30mg of zinc, and zinc is supposed to help acne! However, I have noticed more pimples lately, but I don't know if it's due to that or some other factor. However, they're not as bad as they have been in the past (and I have the sort of skin that never really grew out of acne :p).

I think you just need to experiment a bit, and there's never a need to take a mega dose, unless you've got a medical deficiency.

LocustSpawning
October 11th, 2011, 04:16 PM
It's made me break out in the past, but then I stopped taking it for a while for other reasons. (Laziness mostly, nothing to do with the actual supplement.) I started taking it again recently but my skin has been fine. Then again I actually have a decent skin care regime now and I didn't before.

christine1989
October 11th, 2011, 04:20 PM
I use a 5 mg biotin supplement and have had no acne issues at all. I hear that zinc will help with acne when taken with biotin but can't speak from personal experience. In regards to acne in general, I've found that mineral makeup makes a huge difference by just absorbing oils that come out of your pores. It's an odd acne tip but for anyone with oily skin it's defiantly worth a try. :)

And BTW: biotin does makey hair grow thicker and faster- right now it's around 1 inch per month (1.75 last month!)

princess03
October 11th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Unfortunately I won't take the risk because I just started the regime I can't add a variable. I want to see how it works out.
But I'm glad many of you have had positive results though :)

princess03
October 11th, 2011, 11:04 PM
I use a 5 mg biotin supplement and have had no acne issues at all. I hear that zinc will help with acne when taken with biotin but can't speak from personal experience. In regards to acne in general, I've found that mineral makeup makes a huge difference by just absorbing oils that come out of your pores. It's an odd acne tip but for anyone with oily skin it's defiantly worth a try. :)

And BTW: biotin does makey hair grow thicker and faster- right now it's around 1 inch per month (1.75 last month!)

thank you for the feedback :) maybe that is a better option to take zinc with biotin I'll try it after I see how this acne treatment goes

but about the mineral makeup
almost all mineral make up and make up in general are marketing scams just because they claim what they do and claim organic or pure doesn't mean they are, if you look up the ingredients sure some are necessary but some can be improved. labels such as oil free, noncomodogenic, talc free, ect ect are meaningless its best to look at ingredients. many mineral make up such as Sheer Cover and Bare Essentials have fillers that irritate and worsten skin regardless of what they claim. there may be argument that maybe that person is sensitive well thats what they claim to be, for people with sensitive skin who opt for a more natural make up. I can speak from experience :(

ssjhotau2
October 12th, 2011, 01:28 AM
Oh wow- I didn't even know the break outs might be caused by the biotin. Hmmm I've had more than usual on my chin- and several on my chest and neck where I have never had breakouts before.

I will have to read more on this.

eta: been taking 10 mg lol- maybe that is a bit much

MyKing'sQueen
October 12th, 2011, 02:20 AM
I have oily acne prone skin and have been taking 5 mg Biotin for about a week now with no side effects yet. If it gets worse I'll let you know.

ya-ya C
October 12th, 2011, 07:47 AM
I've been using biotin for about a month (2,5-3 mg). I think i had a higher break-out rate the first week, but then it went back to normal. can't say for sure exactly what it does my hair - i started so many new things since joining LHC and my hair is so much better due to all the bb brushing and oiling and ACV rinsing, so it's hard to point out specific effect of biotin but, man my nails got so much better, thicker, healthier.

Also a little about acne regimens - I used proactiv, neutrogena skin ID and couple similar regimens and found one thing in common - they work really well... for a few months. Then your skin gets used to it and it's not good anymore. Maybe it's just me, but in case you find yourself in a similar situation, I advise to look into African black soap (it has to be authentic, not synthetically dyed black, but rather brounish color) it's actually cheaper than regimens, it's all natural and really helped me a lot.

buttercupmcgee
October 12th, 2011, 08:03 AM
I take 5000 mcg daily, and while I haven't seen faster growth I have seen stronger hair, more of it, fuller eyebrows, and stronger nails.

littlenvy
October 12th, 2011, 08:06 AM
I've been taking biotin for about a year now, however; I just took a month long break from it just to give my body a rest.
I have much better growth on biotin, my new growth hair feels thicker and I'm happy to report NO breakouts. :)

skyblue
October 12th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I've been using Biotin for a couple of years only one a day, I have not noticed any more acne then I usually get, sometimes one or two will pop up during my period but thats always happened
it has helped with shedding, I shed just a few hairs daily maybe a little more then that on wash days, and I noticed that my ends don't get all dried and brittle any more, but that could be because I don't shampoo my length that much anymore

MaryRose
October 12th, 2011, 08:10 AM
I take 2500 mcg every day since April 2011. I have had a lot less breakouts since I started, my nails are stronger and my hair seems to grow a bit faster. I always have a least one to three zits at a time constantly but since I started biotin, I don't have any.

princess03
October 13th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Oh wow- I didn't even know the break outs might be caused by the biotin. Hmmm I've had more than usual on my chin- and several on my chest and neck where I have never had breakouts before.

I will have to read more on this.

eta: been taking 10 mg lol- maybe that is a bit much

wow that does sound like a high dose and I hope you maybe foud your prob ;)

knoxkatie
October 13th, 2011, 10:23 AM
It made me break out when I took a 3000 mcg capsule every day. Now I only take it occasionally (once or twice a week).

princess03
October 13th, 2011, 10:28 AM
it seems as though results vary and many have had positive results. i cant wait to try it I just cant add anything right now because if i get a break out I wont know if its the acne treatment or the vitamins or the darn new makeup powder I bought

i had to return my new make up forever duo matt for the Sephora brand one after a few days not even knowing if it was the regime since its common to get initial breakouts.

thanks for all the informative answers keep them coming and update if yu'd like :)

princess03
October 13th, 2011, 10:39 AM
I've been using biotin for about a month (2,5-3 mg). I think i had a higher break-out rate the first week, but then it went back to normal. can't say for sure exactly what it does my hair - i started so many new things since joining LHC and my hair is so much better due to all the bb brushing and oiling and ACV rinsing, so it's hard to point out specific effect of biotin but, man my nails got so much better, thicker, healthier.

Also a little about acne regimens - I used proactiv, neutrogena skin ID and couple similar regimens and found one thing in common - they work really well... for a few months. Then your skin gets used to it and it's not good anymore. Maybe it's just me, but in case you find yourself in a similar situation, I advise to look into African black soap (it has to be authentic, not synthetically dyed black, but rather brounish color) it's actually cheaper than regimens, it's all natural and really helped me a lot.

I will definitely look into this one... I have actually read more positive consistent reports from the acne.org regime than proactive like real reviews that claim its kept their acne at bay for years bUt if they discontinue some say it returns i wouldn't mind continuing for as long as forever if it means clear skin ;)

although my acne is very moderate but it scars

thanks !

Cassie 123
October 13th, 2011, 10:51 AM
My multivitamin has 300 mcg of biotin, which has never given me any problems. I tried adding an additional 2,500 mcg, and by the third week, my skin was noticeably oilier, including my scalp - not good for stretching washes! I quit after one month, and my skin returned to normal within a week or two. I think I recall having a couple of whiteheads in that time but definitely no cystic acne. I had pretty bad acne as a teenager, but relatively little since I've been in my thirties.

amberpotamus
October 14th, 2011, 02:50 AM
I've been taking 5 mg of biotin a day for a few weeks (or at least as often as I remember), and I have definitely had more acne than normal--I usually don't get more than two or three at a time and usually only during certain times of the month. I've had it on my back and chest where I almost never get acne. BUT--I took l-lysine (1 mg a day, I think) for a few weeks before starting the biotin (not because I have herpes, which is what it's often used for; I just read that it increases hair growth), and that made me break out REALLY bad, though I think it's been long enough that anything due to that should have cleared up. Another thing: I started taking MSM at the same time as the biotin, and I've read that that can help combat the acne issue, so I likely would have continued to break out worse if not for that.

My question though is this: I've read that B5 (Pantothenic acid) can also help combat the biotin-acne issue, but it only does that because B5 and biotin compete for absorption. So is taking high does of both actually self defeating? Would I just be increasing the price of my urine, so to speak? Or would I actually absorb more of both? I'm hesitant to add B5 before I'm really sure how much effect the biotin is having, because I won't be able to tell if the B5 is canceling out any hair growth effect at the same time as it cancels out the acne.

MyKing'sQueen
October 14th, 2011, 12:54 PM
I have oily acne prone skin and have been taking 5 mg Biotin for about a week now with no side effects yet. If it gets worse I'll let you know.
Update: I am getting more acne, most of it are big painful bumps that I haven't had in a while now:mad: Should I keep taking Biotin or should I stop?:confused:

ebba
October 14th, 2011, 01:03 PM
I use 1000mcg a day and don't break out at all. When i started though i used probably 500mg which is more, and it made me break out. So you just have to ease your body into it and play around with the different brands

Cassie 123
October 14th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Update: I am getting more acne, most of it are big painful bumps that I haven't had in a while now:mad: Should I keep taking Biotin or should I stop?:confused:

Stop, or switch to a smaller dose, and see if that helps.

MyKing'sQueen
October 20th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Stop, or switch to a smaller dose, and see if that helps.
I decided to keep taking it and they went away by themselves. I think it was just a coincidence.

LaceyNg
October 25th, 2011, 08:50 AM
i've been taking biotin for about a year or so.
at 1st i DID get more breakouts than usual (for the record, i am very acne-prone), but then they went away.

however, i'm 25 and STILL getting a lot of cystic acne, all month long, despite being on birth control and having been on accutane 3 times. i've ruled out skincare as the culprit, and now the only thing to rule out is the biotin, so i'm going to stop it for a while and see how it goes. if my skin DOES clear up, rather than taking a smaller dose i may not ever take it again.

i've seen a huge improvement in the quality and growth rate of my nails, but i'm not so sure about my hair.

i'll update you guys after a bit :)

IanB
October 25th, 2011, 09:03 AM
I've been taking Biotin with no problem, can't confirm that it does much good either!

teal
October 25th, 2011, 10:07 AM
I've been taking Biotin with no problem, can't confirm that it does much good either!

This. I take a small amount - 500mcg. My nails seem to be a little stronger but can't comment on the hair yet.

JuliaDancer
October 25th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Maybe try to reduce your dosage? I use 1000 mcg 5 days a week (when I'm at work I'll take one after lunch). I guess I've been taking it for over a month now, and I haven't had any skin problems, but my nails are definitely stronger. I will wait and see if I notice any changes with my hair.

ElusiveMuse
October 25th, 2011, 06:47 PM
I've been taking a pretty normal dose and my usually very bendy, weak nails are now super thick and strong and growing like weeds. Not sure if it's helping my hair. Breakouts remain the same.

gthlvrmx
October 25th, 2011, 09:55 PM
My hair is noticeable thicker and my nails are uber tough now after 2 weeks of 5000mcg of biotin. Im only trying to finish the bottle though, 1 month and a half to go now.

LaceyNg
December 13th, 2011, 04:56 PM
just figured i'd give an update:

after stopping biotin supplements and starting silica supplements, my hair and nails seem to be growing just as well as before, but my breakouts have stopped. as in, stopped COMPLETELY! yay!!

ladonna
December 13th, 2011, 05:10 PM
What is silica?
I have acne that started when I started taking a b-vitamin supplement that has biotin in it, I never really had acne until now. I tried to stop taking the vitamins but then my hair growth seems to have stalled and I'm getting moody again. I started taking the vitamin's yesterday and I already have acne starting again :(

Amber_Maiden
December 13th, 2011, 05:39 PM
When i took it- for two weeks- I got acne, so I stopped taking it.

amanda_the_tall
December 13th, 2011, 05:42 PM
i always get breakouts when i'm on biotin. usually i'll get about three pimples once a month, but once i started biotin, it was about ten at the same time. so i had to stop, some people don't have a problem with it. i've also heard that if you start with small amounts, then work your way up (i was taking the 5000 mcg per day) you have less adverse reactions. but then again, my hair didn't grow in any faster or better, but that could be just me. i ended up quitting after taking them on and off for a few years. :(

amantha
December 13th, 2011, 05:50 PM
I started taking Biotin shortly before Thanksgiving because I had developed a bald spot from an infection on my scalp. I was only taking 600 mcg (in conjunction with my normal daily multivitamin that has 300 mcg). Within one week I had like 5 giant cystic zits on my face. I only get like....3-5 a year! I kept at it for a second week, hoping it would eventually clear up, but literally I would get a new cyst every day. I stopped the 600 mcg biotin supplement but I'm still taking my daily multivitamin because that has never affected my skin negatively the year or so I've been on it. My cysts have died but I'm dealing with the marks they've left behind on my face. :(

I also started MSM the same time I started Biotin and decided to stick with it. I think it actually makes my skin even better than normal (fewer blackheads, less oily skin, etc.).

kristib123
December 13th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Since this has rolled back up I will chime in also on my results. I've been taking the biotin and silica for a good month or more and am noticing thicker hair and better growth! I will continue to take this. I have not had any bad reactions either.

minaa
December 13th, 2011, 06:15 PM
The Regimen from acne.org was what I used in my teens. It worked pretty well, but don't forget your moisturizer! I found that Complex-15 was the lightest, best moisturizer for me. For the past couple of years my acne has gone down to where I don't use it anymore (I hear that prolonged use of benzoyl peroxide can age skin prematurely, that probably has to deal with the photosensitivity it creates). Washing pillowcases more often helped me (as well as following the morning/night routine) and keeping my hair away from my face.

Now, to biotin: I started a 1000mcg (1mg) supplement this past Sunday that has silica in it. Silica on its own is great for hair, nails, skin, and even our bones, so I may switch over at some point, but I want to see where a month or two of the combinatoin supplement gets me.

anikadear
December 13th, 2011, 06:25 PM
I've been taking Biotin and MSM together for the past week and haven't had any issues at all. In fact, my skin looks amazing but I've also heard MSM combats any acne caused by the Biotin so IDK. I also have been using proactiv for years and it hasn't stopped working for me. Everyone is different, and if you have really bad acne, usually products like proactiv or skinID aren't helpful (my brother used to have very bad acne and neither worked for him either).

vanillabones
December 13th, 2011, 06:38 PM
I was taking a lot of biotin, but it made me break out pretty bad, so I immediately stopped. I take MSM or silica instead, both are great for the hair and growth rate. It really made my new hairs stronger, shinier, and thicker, I think I will be normal 'ii' thickness once it is all past shoulder length :) (the new growth that is)

KwaveT
December 13th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I can't really say what the biotin by itself does for me because I take other supplements too. I definitely will say that MSM and silica that I started affected the strength and growth rate of my nails very soon after starting it. The nails on my right hand are very close to 11/16 of inch long. Supplements are doing their job. Nails on my left hand are about half an inch long. It took a little longer but I think it is affecting the growth rate of hair too. For acne, I use a 500 mcg bottle with no ill effects. I am about three pills into a 1000 mcg bottle and we will see if it affects my acne.

amantha
December 13th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Where did you guys find your silica supplements? I'm interested in trying it and I can't find it listed on GNC's website other than a Horsetail herbal supplement that apparently has a lot of silica in it.

A. Correira
December 13th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I've been taking them for about two months. I had increased my dosage awhile back and it made me break out so bad that stopped taking it for a little while. About a month ago, I started taking them again at the dosage that I originally started at and I have been fine since. I have always broken out (from genetics) but it got terrible only once I increased my dosage.

KwaveT
December 13th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Where did you guys find your silica supplements? I'm interested in trying it and I can't find it listed on GNC's website other than a Horsetail herbal supplement that apparently has a lot of silica in it.

I got my silica supplememts at Whole Foods. There is a store in your city (5880 Centre Ave). I went to their website and looked it up.

amantha
December 13th, 2011, 07:16 PM
I got my silica supplememts at Whole Foods. There is a store in your city. I went to their website and looked it up.

Thank you! :blossom:

Miss Catrina
December 13th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I've been taking it for a week or two. I don't notice any big breakouts.

I can't vouch for how it's affecting my hair, because I started taking a multivitamin at the same time - but my nails feel so much stronger and are growing to lengths they generally can't, which I take as a good sign.

Amiblue
December 13th, 2011, 08:36 PM
I have been taking 5000mcg daily for the last 1.5 months. I did get a couple spots when I first started but I think that may have been from being overzealous with the oil in my hair. I did a couple extra face scrubs and an extra mask that week and was fine.

I have found that if I DON'T take it now, I can get a headache until I do. I also have had minimal to no menstrual cramps since taking it (for those it would apply to). For hair growth, I have lots of new hair, thicker eye lashes (thank you!!!) and thicker eyebrows - which works since I had an oopsie as a teen and a spot that wouldn't grow back. Now it is. I can also think much better and my nails are becoming much nicer and white again - like when I was young child. Nothing seems to be growing faster though.

My Husband is also taking the same amount and he is slowly but surly getting hair filling in those recession spots and his new hair looks awesome!