PDA

View Full Version : Which % Lawsone content do you suggest for a brighter auburn?

knotbox
October 11th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I bought my henna from Mehandi.com, and will be again. I bought Celebration which was 3.5% Lawsone content but is no longer available. Closest to that is Mehandi's Rajasthani Twilight at 2.9%, but I'm not sure I should skip one more and buy Sudina Henna at 2.23%. Also available is Henna for African Hair at 2.2% and Yemen Light at 1.67%.

Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way.

Celebration (3.5%) dyed my ash light brown hair auburn, it was more coppery in the beginning, which I would prefer, but matured to a true auburn, that is to say, it was relatively red and not at all brown. I left it on for 3 hours after mixing the pure henna with lemon juice. I mixed it the day before and let the mix sit for only slightly more than 24 hours before I put it on my head. (wait... I'm not sure, whatever amount Mehandi suggested, I think...)

I would prefer a more coppery color, but I feel it is just the way of henna to have auburn over light brown hair--however I would like something brighter. Or do I need to leave the henna on for less time? Or is it perhaps just my hair and THERE IS NO HOPE unless I go do chemicals?

http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/262231_10150361904260898_693810897_10061991_611013 2_n.jpg

I feel this photo most accurately shows the color of my hair after the henna has matured a bit, and without the sun making my hair a brilliant shining red. The ends are still bleached from when I was a blonde 3 years ago, thus accounting for the color difference.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/261681_10150361904000898_693810897_10061985_798547 4_n.jpg

And in the sun.
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/265186_10150361906020898_693810897_10062036_808645 _n.jpg
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/308453_10150310810517757_606067756_8231326_1312594 347_n.jpg
The second picture is from the day after I henna'd my hair tho... the first was so bad I felt obliged though.

caribou55313
October 11th, 2011, 11:10 AM
For coppery (orange) color you need to start with lighter hair, or lighten your hair, and use a lower dye content henna than you've been using. Half henna, half cassia would be good for a lighter coppery color on blonde hair.

On brown hair I don't think you will able to achieve this with plant dyes unless you are willing to lighten your hair.

lokiveil
October 11th, 2011, 03:37 PM
From my understanding, the higher the dye content of the henna, the deeper the red goes...... maybe try using a lower dye content a few times and see if it makes a difference? I wanted to go as dark as possible on my naturally blond hair..... so I used Celebration as was recommended to me to reduce the coppery effect :)

spidermom
October 11th, 2011, 03:55 PM
I think a cooler color would suit your complexion better. Maybe it's my color resolution, but it seems your skin and your hair are pulling in different directions.

lastnite
October 11th, 2011, 04:21 PM
it looks nice when the sun is on it :) I was thinking along the lines as spidermom though, maybe a cooler, deeper red would be more flattering in the shade but I wasn't sure if your color would go that way with multiple applications

Tsopana
October 11th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I bought Purity from Mehandi, which is also 3.2% and therefore very strong! Had you used a type of henna with lower lawsone content, then the result wouldn't be as dark. I myself diluted about 50gr purity in about 150 gr of conditioner because I was afraid of a very dark colour.. Btw your hair is lovely, though!

smcm1232
October 11th, 2011, 09:18 PM
I have experimented with the sunin to lighten my hair for when my hair gets too dark with the henna or I make a color error :) It does work! especially if your hair natural is on the blondeish side, I also used some peroxide. Only put it in as you would put the sunin in your hair and either blowdry or go out in the sun so it does it's thing. Just remembering I used to use lemonjuice for blonde highlights too in the past! So my point is being you can lighten your air with it and then try a lighter lawsone content to get the shade u like, I did notice if you mix the lemon juice with the henna it will darken quicker than with water or tea. Good luck post more pics! I do like your color!

knotbox
October 13th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Caribou--I believe your right about having to lighten my hair for something more red. I also think I'm suffering from something many henna heads contract--a constant need for more red. For now I'll need to calm down and carry on.

Lokiveil--I will definitely be going down, I just need to decide how much. Down to 2.9% or all the way to 2.23%. Then, should I lessen the amount of time it sits on my hair? But I probably shouldn't tinker with the dye release time.

spidermom & lastnite--it's a concern I have had as well, but I feel increasingly confident that red, rather than Auburn does work alright for me. Many of my family members on my. Mothers side have or had red hair. My cousin who has the ideal shade of red, very Scottish looking, will be visiting and giving her input in November. I appreciate your input a lot. :-)

Tsopana--thank you, I will definitely be using lower lawsone content, I'm just not sure if I should decrease the amount of time I keep it on my hair as well.

smcm--thank you! I'm curious, actually I'm not sure I understand. Does the lemon juice cause the herbs to mature more quickly than it usually does, or does it cause it to mature even darker?

Tsopana
October 14th, 2011, 02:28 AM
Caribou--I believe your right about having to lighten my hair for something more red. I also think I'm suffering from something many henna heads contract--a constant need for more red. For now I'll need to calm down and carry on.

Lokiveil--I will definitely be going down, I just need to decide how much. Down to 2.9% or all the way to 2.23%. Then, should I lessen the amount of time it sits on my hair? But I probably shouldn't tinker with the dye release time.

spidermom & lastnite--it's a concern I have had as well, but I feel increasingly confident that red, rather than Auburn does work alright for me. Many of my family members on my. Mothers side have or had red hair. My cousin who has the ideal shade of red, very Scottish looking, will be visiting and giving her input in November. I appreciate your input a lot. :-)

Tsopana--thank you, I will definitely be using lower lawsone content, I'm just not sure if I should decrease the amount of time I keep it on my hair as well.

smcm--thank you! I'm curious, actually I'm not sure I understand. Does the lemon juice cause the herbs to mature more quickly than it usually does, or does it cause it to mature even darker?

Hmm, I'm not sure you should decrease the amount of time left on your hair.. How long did you leave it the last time? Usually it takes about 2-3 hours for the henna to bind to the keratin.. And I believe that, the longer you leave it, the more richer the colour will be. Not necessarily darker.
Also, lemon juice actually slows down the dye release process. The quickest way to have dye release from your henna is to use water to mix it with.

Tsopana
October 14th, 2011, 02:29 AM
...with water!! Sorry, don't know what I was thinking..! XD

cmg
October 15th, 2011, 07:16 PM
With your virgin color your hair will soon get very dark, using these strong hennas. If you like this, and dont mind going towards burgundy, then go ahead. If not, then start using glosses or mix with cassia. Also glosses have to be handled with consideration: Something like 3-4 glosses are equivalent to one full henna-treatment.

knotbox
October 18th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Cmg--thanks for the reply.
I understand a causes mix, but what is a gloss? I mean, I'm only touching up my roots at this point., very little henna goes into my hair anymore. Would buying a lower lawsone % do something similar to a gloss or mix?

jojo
October 19th, 2011, 10:01 AM
A gloss is where you use a little henna say 1 tbs develop it and mix with conditioner, its a weaker version of a full henna but gives a little colour but the conditioning and shine of a full henna.

cmg
October 19th, 2011, 02:08 PM
A gloss can also be used without dye release. You simply mix small amounts of the henna and/or indigo powder. Anything from say 2 tablespoons to 1 teaspoon depending on the desired strength will do (also depending on hair length of course). You mix it straight ahead with conditioner and put it on the hair right away. It will dye release just enough in the hair.

The amount of dye in a gloss does by no means go anywhere like a full henna of any dye content.

I actually do glosses also on my white roots sometimes. You will have to experiment what works for you. I find it very difficult to distribute the henna or gloss so it does not get to the lengths. You will have to be very careful, especially with light colors.

knotbox
November 13th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Thanks so much for the info, jojo and cmg! I think I will significally lower the strength of my henna, I'll do that for a while and that may be enough to get what I want. Thanks again!

Pierre
November 14th, 2011, 05:20 AM
You are beautiful! I suggest going down only to Twilight, as your hair is pretty as it is, and if you use one of the weaker hennas, it may get too light.

candycandace
November 28th, 2011, 11:47 AM
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/308453_10150310810517757_606067756_8231326_1312594 347_n.jpg

Gosh, you have my dream color! You got awesome results for having brown hair to begin with!