PDA

View Full Version : Hair Thickness

UP Lisa
October 11th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Have any of you had your hair get thinner, and then get thicker again over time?

I have not noticed any major shedding or anything, but my hair is not as thick as it was a few years ago. Many things could have caused this, but I'm hoping it will get better again.

ElusiveMuse
October 11th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Unfortunately, I think that's another one of those aging perks. :(

Chetanlaiho
October 11th, 2011, 07:03 AM
It's definitely getting thinner now, but at 18 I really don't hope it's due to age yet ^^;

UP Lisa
October 11th, 2011, 07:14 AM
I know that each hair can become thinner with age, but I don't think I have had that many hormone changes yet. My periods are still regular.

Friesian Rider
October 11th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Yes, my hair seemed to get thinner when I hit 46, now it is thicker, but I did start taking vitamins E and a joint supplement with MSM in it later. I don't know if that helped but it is still growing and when I hit knee I am done, just going to keep it neat at that length. Once I went through a big shed and that thinned it out. But I had gotten pneumonia at that time :rolleyes:.

My hair now at almost 51.

http://www.sullivanwebdesign.com/LHC/1012.jpg

littlenvy
October 11th, 2011, 08:55 AM
My hair is getting thicker, but I think its mostly due to care and the fact that I no longer dye or use harsh chemicals on my hair.
However; I did notice that the few little grays I have here and there are thicker than my regular hair. Strange.

UP Lisa
October 11th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Wow! You have a ton of hair! You could give me some!

Yes, my hair seemed to get thinner when I hit 46, now it is thicker, but I did start taking vitamins E and a joint supplement with MSM in it later. I don't know if that helped but it is still growing and when I hit knee I am done, just going to keep it neat at that length. Once I went through a big shed and that thinned it out. But I had gotten pneumonia at that time :rolleyes:.

My hair now at almost 51.

http://www.sullivanwebdesign.com/LHC/1012.jpg

CavySong
October 11th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Had my first visit at a GM Salon today here in Virginia. Catherine showed me her own hand written chart of the cycles of thinning and thickening that we go through in our lives. As I am 46, I took note of the 45 and 56 year thinning seasons. She explained that this is only a guide and all sorts of things, nutrition, medications, hormones, stress, pregnancy, affects hair growth, strength and even sometimes color.

UP Lisa
October 11th, 2011, 09:28 AM
I take three medications that have hair loss as a rare side effect. So who knows what's going on.

Red Rapunzel
October 11th, 2011, 09:36 AM
UP Lisa: Your hair looks a lot like mine does at age 63 - but yours has a little more fullness in the lower lengths than mine. I went through times when there were huge hair losses after every weekly shampooing, but that has seemed to settle down as my stress has been reduced and I am on treatment for my illness. Last shampoo, I hardly lost any hair. What a welcome change! Not only does our hair thin out as we age, but it also changes quality - becomes lightweight - more like cotton candy (especially in fine hair)- even if we don't "fry it." That's just an age thing for many of us. I keep looking for ways to make my hair heavier.
Frequent oiling achieves that somewhat.

Friesian Rider: Sheesh! You're doing great at 50!! You could give UP Lisa and me some of your hair and never miss it! I'm heading out for some MSM today!!

SwordWomanRiona
October 11th, 2011, 10:05 AM
My hair's a bit thicker than it was two years ago, but that is because I'm treating it properly now. I underwent a horrible period of hair neglect a few years ago (I didn't detangle my poor fine hair properly at all :o, now I cringe at the very thought, and of course, I shed a lot lot more), and it's now getting back to normal. I wish 'normal' meant a little more thickness, though :)

growingpains
October 11th, 2011, 10:49 AM
I have had my hair get thinner twice in my life, both time due to weight loss and health problems. It never grew back, but I hope it will yet. Good luck with getting your hair thicker. It looks lovely as is, by the way. Maybe some vitamins are in order?

UP Lisa
October 11th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Thank you.

I do take a multi-vitamin, plus vitamin D and flax oil.

I have had my hair get thinner twice in my life, both time due to weight loss and health problems. It never grew back, but I hope it will yet. Good luck with getting your hair thicker. It looks lovely as is, by the way. Maybe some vitamins are in order?

heidi w.
October 11th, 2011, 01:04 PM
It's definitely getting thinner now, but at 18 I really don't hope it's due to age yet ^^;

It is claimed that age 25 or thereabouts is the first time a woman may notice thinner hair than previous years.

heidi w.

Chetanlaiho
October 11th, 2011, 01:34 PM
It is claimed that age 25 or thereabouts is the first time a woman may notice thinner hair than previous years.

heidi w.

Hmm, seven years too early, I really hope it's something else (that I can fix!) I should make a doctor's appointment again soon >_< Thanks for the info!

UP Lisa
October 11th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Depressing information, Heidi!:)

heidi w.