PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice on my damaged hair!

thirstylocks
October 10th, 2011, 05:08 PM
My hair journey began last year. I stopped dying my hair september 2010 and now my virgin hair has grown until a little past my ears (which I think is not much for over a year's growth :( )

In march 2011, I cut my hair from wast length to shoulder length to get rid of some of my damaged, bleached ends. I then let it grow for another 6 months. I spent 2 months this summer working on the beach and all my dyed hair turned ORANGE. So now, my natural dark brown hair is up to my ears and the rest of my hair is orange. Two weeks ago, I cut my hair an inch below my chin - shorter than I have ever in my 20 years cut my hair!!! I was proud of myself and thought my hair was on its way to being all virgin, all healthy.

Unfortunately, my hair has never looked worse. Not only is it still damaged and now it is exactly half brown half orange, its frizzy and SHORT. I thought at least if I cut it short, it would look healthy.

I don't know what to do and I feel really insecure and upset. Should I cut my hair again in hopes of getting rid of more of the damage, or should I dye the bottom half of my hair with ammonia-free dye until its long enough to cut off??

I need to do something because I can't even leave the house with this hair!!

Seharia
October 10th, 2011, 05:27 PM
I was in a similar situation as you a year ago when I had thinned out short layers. So I can tell you what helped me even though your situation and your preferences are probably very different. It really is horrible to have short hair that you don't like but don't worry at that length your hair will grow out very fast! At least for me the chin to shoulder length felt like it zipped past in a second! I don't know how much you can't stand the damage dyed part? If your able to live with it for the next 6-8 months than may be you should keep it so you still have the option of putting your hair in updo's. Make sure to consider how you would feel if you could only wear your hair down if you cut it very short. About your question of dying the ends I would say go for it! If they are all ready damage looking I don't think it will make a big difference and in my experience dark hair looks a lot less damaged and frizzy then light or blond hair.
Good luck growing out your healthy hair!

MrsGuther
October 10th, 2011, 09:25 PM
My hair journey began last year. I stopped dying my hair september 2010 and now my virgin hair has grown until a little past my ears (which I think is not much for over a year's growth :( )

In march 2011, I cut my hair from wast length to shoulder length to get rid of some of my damaged, bleached ends. I then let it grow for another 6 months. I spent 2 months this summer working on the beach and all my dyed hair turned ORANGE. So now, my natural dark brown hair is up to my ears and the rest of my hair is orange. Two weeks ago, I cut my hair an inch below my chin - shorter than I have ever in my 20 years cut my hair!!! I was proud of myself and thought my hair was on its way to being all virgin, all healthy.

Unfortunately, my hair has never looked worse. Not only is it still damaged and now it is exactly half brown half orange, its frizzy and SHORT. I thought at least if I cut it short, it would look healthy.

I don't know what to do and I feel really insecure and upset. Should I cut my hair again in hopes of getting rid of more of the damage, or should I dye the bottom half of my hair with ammonia-free dye until its long enough to cut off??

I need to do something because I can't even leave the house with this hair!!

If your hair is making you miserable because of the half brown half orange-y-ness maybe you should dye the bottom half a closer color to the top half while you are in the growing out process. I would hate for you to have to chop off even more...
I'm sorry you are having to deal with this hair ordeal!

I went through a similar situation a couple of years ago. I used to bleach all my hair white blonde after I got tired of the foil highlighting process. I also used to flat iron all the time. My hair looked so fried and started breaking off. I was pretty miserable and was looking forward to when all the damage would be gone. I got two or three big "chops" done- about 6 inches each time, about 6 months apart I think. And after that I started with a blunt hemline at APL in July 2010. Now I am happier than ever with my hair and just hit hip length at the end of Sept 2011.

Roscata
October 10th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Hello!
In my opinion I would say yes, go ahead and use an amonia free, deposit only dye on your orange ends. This will make you like your hair better and even out the color for a more comfortable transition to having your fully natural hair color. I would say it might be a good idea to let or even pay someone else to apply the color tough, just to make sure you only get the already dyed ends covered in the new stuff. Good luck! :D

thirstylocks
October 10th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Thanks so much! I feel a lot better about dying my ends. My mother is begging me not to so I don't further damage my hair, but I feel like at this point, my ends are beyond saving and they need to be hacked off eventually.

I just never, ever want to get back into the habit/addiction of dying my hair again!! Do you have any recommendations on hair dye? I can't afford a professional coloring :(

Roscata
October 10th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Brands that are ammonia and peroxide free: Bigen (http://lulubeautyhouse.webstorepowered.com/Bigen-Permanent-Powder-Hair-Color/dp/B0018X07EW?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle), Robert Craig (http://www.robertcraig.com/php/index.php) and L'Oreal Color Gems (http://www.amazon.com/LOreal-Color-Haircolor-Light-Golden/dp/B00076MNZM). You could also use Manic Panic, I used the black MP while growing out my henna, when I didn't want to see the roots coming in. I like it best because it is plant based therefore won't harm my hair and it washes out completely. :D

thirstylocks
October 10th, 2011, 11:07 PM
I've always wanted to try manic panic. Do you think the "raven" black would be too harsh against my natural dark brown roots? I dyed my hair black once before and it looked like a wig! Maybe if I leave the dye in for 20 minutes instead of 30 it wont be as intense?

Roscata
October 10th, 2011, 11:15 PM
I don't believe it would be too harsh against dark brown roots.

That's the one I used (raven). My natural hair color is about medium brown, I used it on all of my hair from the roots to the ends because it isn't damaging at all. I left it on for about an hour. If you don't want it to be black you could use another color, maybe red? Or maybe you could combine two colors together? I don't believe leaving it on for less time will make it lighter. :(

I did notice my hair was a bit dry for about a week, but then it was ok. If you want to avoid that maybe to an SMT after coloring. :D

thirstylocks
October 11th, 2011, 02:32 AM
I'm way too nervous about going that dark! I'm way too pale to pull that off. What is an SMT?

Roscata
October 11th, 2011, 02:58 AM
I'm way too nervous about going that dark! I'm way too pale to pull that off. What is an SMT?

The much-recommended SMT (Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment) (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128)