PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk BS/ACV

lynnala
March 14th, 2008, 03:18 AM
I just did a BS/ACV wash/rinse today for the first time, and my hair turned out.........FABULOUS! Wow, I really love the results on my very fine, wispy hair. Definitely gave it more weight and body. Now my question is how often does one use this method? I wash my hair every 3 or 4 days, should I use this every time? Or once a month? I have no idea how to proceed!:confused:

Stagecoach
March 14th, 2008, 05:34 AM
If you keep you BS wash diluted you should be able to safely do it every 3-4 days. Perhaps maybe condition your length once ever couple weeks?

I did the BS/ACV for quite a while, and it worked pretty well, but I found that my length still needed conditioning every week, and it just got to be to much of a hassle for me to mx up the baking soda and ACV before each shower!

Pixel Gypsy
March 14th, 2008, 06:49 AM
I started on BS/ACV back in late October and did it 2-3 times a week with a dramatic improvement to my overall hair health. I just recently switched to a shampoo bar (still followed by an ACV rinse) because I really missed having lather when I washed. My main focus is to keep cones and SLS away from my hair, and I can tell my hair is much happier for it.

lynnala
March 14th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Cool! In regards to the hassle, I fortunately have a shelf right next to the shower, so I have a container, the BS and the ACV right there, I just mixed it up with shower water.....(my DH had to ask what the heck the ACV was doing on the bathroom shelf!)

Alley Cat
March 14th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I just finished up a trial of WO which lasted 2 months and really the time my hair was the best was when I did BS rinses followed by ACV rinses[ I did that perhaps 3 times]. I am really undecided what to do with my hair now, today I did a shampoo bar wash but am not sure I want to go back there I don't feel my length felt as nice as it did with the WO and the BS rinses . My problem with the WO was my scalp. I didn't really think using BS was a option as a full time wash method even though I have read about it on other sites somehow it still seems like it might be harsh on the hair.:shrug:

sorraia
September 8th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I was wondering the same thing as Alleycat.

How much BS to ACV and water do you guys use?
I have never mixed the two together before.
I know that combination fizzes like crazy,
for I use this combo to clean out a clogged drain.

I am assuming you use diluted ACV/water and add it to a small handful of BS and
massage into the scalp only?

MemSahib
September 17th, 2009, 09:17 AM
I don't think that's how it's usually done, sorraia. I, too, am looking for something to finally cool a small eczema patch in my scalp and earlier found a link (http://babyslime.livejournal.com/174054.html) about how to use soda and ACV. I tried it this morning but my hair isn't even dry yet so I have no idea how it is going to do.

sorraia
September 17th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks MemSahib-
I hope the baking soda wash worked out nicely for you.
I will definitely check out the link. In the past I would just take a half a handful of BS (not the bull kind, lol) add a little water from the shower and massage into my scalp. I was afraid it would dry my hair in the long run so I would just do it occasionally. The people from Earth Clinic which is where i first learned about using BS seem to really like it as well.
My hair is not crazy about diluted ACV but I think it is very good for the scalp.
Anyway, I've been meaning to tell you, your hair is absolutely gorgeous and I hope someday mine looks as beautiful as yours. I love your color. Thanks Again for forwarding the link.

melikai
September 17th, 2009, 11:51 AM
I don't think most people use it this way, but what I do is mix baking soda with some shampoo, 50/50, and wash my scalp only with it. Rinse very well. Then I put a splash of white vinegar (ACV can make hair reddish) in a container, add lots of water, and pour that over my head. I then rinse and apply conditioner from the ears down.

I only use this as a clarifying wash, with great results. I got tempted to use it more often because of how nice it made my hair, but if I do it more than once in a row it is much too drying.

MemSahib
September 17th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Thank you for the sweet compliment, sorraia. I appreciate it.

I don't know if this will be OK for regular use or not. I think my hair is a little dryer than usual but then I go well over a week between washes so maybe it won't matter at all. I will say this is the first time I've ever used an ACV rinse when it (or something) didn't totally strip my hair. Only more trials will tell. :)

Esperanza
September 17th, 2009, 04:20 PM
My hair absolutely loves the bs/acv routine.:bluesmile I keep a plastic container of the bs, a plastic bottle of acv, a plastic drinking glass and a spoon in the shower. I put a little bs (maybe 2-3 tablespoons?) in the glass and add some shower water. I'm not picky about the amount, but I generally get a consistency like thick cream. I stir with the spoon, and apply to my scalp, massage it, and let water run over it and down the length until it is all rinsed out. Than I rinse out the glass well, add a glug of acv-maybe a couple of inches-and add shower water to bring the level up to about half a glass. Pour this over head carefully, trying to get all the scalp with it. Leave it on while I shower, rinse well, and follow with a quick rinse of cold water if I can get up the nerve to do it. Using this routine, my hair has more body, a little waviness, and is more soft and manageable. About once every two months or so , I wash once or twice with regular shampoo and conditioner, more because I miss the lather than for any other reason, but then go back to bs and acv.:cheese: