PDA

View Full Version : Historically Accurate Hair Styles

AnqeIicDemise
October 10th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I'm home, sick, miserable and browsing youtube while I wait for my tummy to feel good enough for me to eat.

I somehow got started with the 360 hair wave (I'm still trying to figure this method out) when I clicked on a link about a guy using egg as a deep conditioning. One video led to another and I wound up with this woman's channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jntvstp#p/a/u/0/bhY-ha-yvus

It seems like she is an archelogist who specializes in deciphering ancient hair styles. (I stumbled upon her Aphrodite Knot and that's how I followed it to her channel.)

The link I provided is a step-by-step recreation of Faustina the Younger, (Roman Emperor Antoninus Pius's younger daughter) hair as it is depicted on a series of statues and coins.

Her work is amazing... and it makes me want to give a go of some of the styles, though I can't see how that is possible without some sort of hair. Take Faustina's regal do, for example. You KNOW she had servants helping her (duh) and there's no way I can recreate it without someone doing the divvying up and sewing for me.

Anyhow, I just wanted to share. The channel is amazing and it gives me inspiration to try some old techniques that I never thought of before.

Jemoiselle
October 10th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Oh my gosh this is amazing! Angelic, what a find! I too never knew one could do hairstyles like that without complex tools. Amazing! I'm still watching it :) Thanks for sharing!

Jemoiselle
October 10th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Oh, and cute kitty! :D

AnqeIicDemise
October 10th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Oh my gosh this is amazing! Angelic, what a find! I too never knew one could do hairstyles like that without complex tools. Amazing! I'm still watching it :) Thanks for sharing!

Me neither! I always wondered how the ancients accomplished this and figured they used wigs!

I'm still watching the channel too.. and I saved it for posterity.

PS: Patches purrs her approval on your compliment. :D

ladyfey
October 10th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Cool! I like the Cleopatra style she shows.

StephanieB
October 10th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Oh, wow! Fascinating!

Sookie
October 10th, 2011, 02:14 PM
How amazing! Such a wonderful work!! I adore her!!! Although they are so difficult to do them in my hair...

GeoJ
October 10th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Thanks for posting that link! I think I'll try some of these...on myself or on my DD.

Finnenna
October 10th, 2011, 02:24 PM
What a wonderful link! I need to try these out when my hair gets long enough!

BlazingHeart
October 10th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Very awesome, indeed.

A great many of the Roman women DID use wigs. During certain parts of the Imperial period, it was fashionable to have light or red hair, which was relatively uncommon among Romans, so they would have slaves from the north shaved and their hair made into wigs.

I looked at the Aphrodite Knot and just laughed. No way my hair would hold that. If I tie an overhand knot in a 1/8" section of my hair, it unties itself in seconds. Not for silky hair indeed!

~Blaze

AnqeIicDemise
October 10th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Very awesome, indeed.

A great many of the Roman women DID use wigs. During certain parts of the Imperial period, it was fashionable to have light or red hair, which was relatively uncommon among Romans, so they would have slaves from the north shaved and their hair made into wigs.

I looked at the Aphrodite Knot and just laughed. No way my hair would hold that. If I tie an overhand knot in a 1/8" section of my hair, it unties itself in seconds. Not for silky hair indeed!

~Blaze

I tried it... and cheated by stabbing a stick through it to hold it in place. It held for a while until I started over exerting myself by cleaning the kitchen. Why is it that every time I'm sick I clean house like no one's business?

Anyhow, yeah.. it won't stay on my head otherwise.

I do want to try Cleo's braids.

Alaia
October 10th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Yes! This woman is amazing.

Not anything I'd ever be able to do to myself to be honest.

AnnaJamila
October 10th, 2011, 03:51 PM
:thud: I just watched all of the hairstyles!!!!! I want to try them all!!!!!!!! Bwahaha!!!!

teal
October 10th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Yes! This woman is amazing.

Not anything I'd ever be able to do to myself to be honest.

This. :thud: I was transfixed!

AnqeIicDemise
October 10th, 2011, 05:27 PM
I'm glad you all appreciate this.

I shared on FB and I got a snub. 9-9. If I show my hubby, he'll go 'wow', then ask me to check a walk through for his video game.

I knew LHC would get the WOW factor in this.

I really like the idea of separating the hair with sticks. It makes sense and its easier for me than having to use elastics (Because its always rather loose ish and I wind gathering one or two hair form the loose ends into a braid or something). The dipping the ends into water to keep them from unraveling while getting other parts ready is a godsend!

Hell, I got my Halloween Costume inspiration out of the Empress Sabina video. That's simple enough for me to do on my own. (I may be able to swing Cleopatra's braids but the others? Yeah, I need an attendant!)

JessL
October 10th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Arg, I have the right type of hair for the knot but it isnt long enough. Once I make the knot there is about an inch of my pathetic ends left

thelittlestdoc
October 10th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Wow, really amazing! Definitely couldn't do most of her stuff with my current length, but maybe someday...;)

allnight avenue
October 10th, 2011, 09:40 PM
I've always loved to sort of obsessively re-watch those videos, but I have to say....the music is so weird.....

thirstylocks
October 10th, 2011, 10:29 PM
As a long hair enthusiast and an archaeology student...this youtube channel just made my evening 100x better!

Clem_Dela
October 10th, 2011, 10:30 PM
wow, hanging on to this one...! I definitely want to try the Empress Sabina one! so pretty..

Rosethorn
October 10th, 2011, 10:57 PM
That is so cool. That archaeologist is really good with hair. I think I'd be better off trying those on somebody else. The sewing the pony tail thing looked like it would be hard to do on my own hair...

Angelic and Jemoiselle, your kitties are adorable!