PDA

View Full Version : 6 months of growth

JadeTigress
October 10th, 2011, 12:59 PM
I've been pretty blah about my hair lately because of the lack of growth (or so I thought). It just feels like it hasn't grown much at all. I just got done taking a picture to post up here to ask you ladies if you had any suggestions for updos, and I decided afterwards to look at my picture I took when I first joined, just to confirm to myself that my hair wasn't growing so I could continue to complain about it.

Well, I was wrong, and it's grown. :p

This is from when I joined back in late April:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b332/JadeTigress/003.jpg

And this is the picture I took just now, just shy of 6 months later:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b332/JadeTigress/DSC00538.jpg

Sorry about the huge difference in picture sizes. I'm pretty happy about the growth. But I still can't figure out what updos I can do. :p

kyandii
October 10th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Great growth! Looks like you must be apporaching BSL rather quickly!

SpinDance
October 10th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Isn't it fun to be surprised by progress? :) Congratulations!

Here are some ideas for updo's:
- peacock twist
- French twist
- French braid, the end either down with a bow or tucked under and a couple hair pins inserted to keep it in place
- Crown braid
- double braids (French, Dutch or Lace) along your head, the ends either left combined into a single braid, each side braided to the ends, maybe the ends tucked back up inside/under
- Gibson Girl bun

I would guess that you don't yet have enough length for a cinnabun, Natutilus, Lazy Wrap or some such, but that depends on both length and thickness. You'd have to try it.

Rocket22
October 10th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Yay for pictures! you have great growth for 6 months! keep up the pictures I too know to how important they are.

JadeTigress
October 10th, 2011, 01:22 PM
SpinDance, you really think I have enough for a crown braid? That's super exciting. I had it in my head that I wouldn't be able to do that until waist+.

MrsGuther
October 10th, 2011, 01:29 PM
That's great growth for 6 months! Looks beautiful! :)

nazzooyzo
October 10th, 2011, 01:32 PM
A lot of growth for 6 months!

pepperminttea
October 10th, 2011, 01:39 PM
That's a giant amount of growth for 6 months! :agape: Congrats!

Yozhik
October 10th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Congratulations! That looks like a good 3" of growth. :)

Isn't it funny how you think you're not making any progress, but then suddenly BAM! and you have more growth!

I found SL to BSL to be a particularly trying time when I didn't think any growth was happening, so maybe it's also something about those lengths.

In any case, enjoy your new length and experiment with some pretty new updos! :flower:

Madora
October 10th, 2011, 01:45 PM
That's great growth, JadeTigress! Good for you!

Here is a link to a You Tube video tutorial for lace braiding on short hair:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

Here's another video tutorial for the Chinese braided bun held by one hairstick:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrJYzX4cbXU

You also might want to check out the Articles section - Hairstyling - to see instructions for the Gibson Tuck hairstyle.

If you try any of these - or other styles, be sure your hair is thoroughly detangled (with a wide tooth comb) before commencing the style.

Good luck!

Sookie
October 10th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Your hair has grown so much!

SpinDance
October 11th, 2011, 07:04 AM
SpinDance, you really think I have enough for a crown braid? That's super exciting. I had it in my head that I wouldn't be able to do that until waist+.

I think so. You only have to get each braid section up into the braid with enough to do a couple turns at the end. You may have to do it wet, or on oiled hair to keep the ends from popping out too much, but it is sure worth a try. The 'crown' doesn't have to be really high on the head, having it lower would mean there is less distance for th ends to go.

I don't even bother trying to do most braids in my hair until the day after it's been washed, it just wants to escape too much. After that it settles down nicely and will stay in a braid just fine. You may find the same. The alternatives are to braid wet or to oil.

Give it a try, worst case you'll learn that you need or want more length. Practice is really important with this braid, as the hands position is so critical to making the turn from going towards the back of the head to coming back towards the front. I suggest having both hands/arms upright towards the crown. When I first tried it I did what I'd done with double braids before, have the lower part of the braid in the opposite side hand coming from across the body in front, elbow in front of the chest/shoulder. Trust me, this will not work! :/

Best of luck!

Soulina
October 11th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Amazing growth. That much in only 6 months.:bigeyes: It will take no time from you to get BSL. And your hair looks healthy to me.