PDA

View Full Version : fist time oiling

hendricks82
October 10th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Okay so I applied cocnut oil to my ends/length, braided, and bunned in anticipation of washing tonight, but my head is ITCHY ITCHY!? Am I leaving it on too long? Did I miss something?

I'm really trying to take care of this hair and get it to grow grow grow!

Currently I am washing like 2-3 times weekly. I apply conditioner to the length and shampoo my scalp. This seems to work for me, but I would like for my ends to be a bit shiner and less fuzzy. SO I thought that oiling would help.

Any input? I think I'm gonna have to go take a shower midday *scratch scratch*

nobeltonya
October 10th, 2011, 10:45 AM
IDK... I oil at night and wash in the morning. Haven't really had any itching, though. *shrugs* Sorry. Maybe you're allergic to it? Could try different oils.

Rocket22
October 10th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Humm I guess you could be allergic? Maybe do as other poster suggested and try a different oil. It's all a trial and error thing for sure :)

hendricks82
October 10th, 2011, 10:56 AM
I thought of that too, but I use it in cooking all the time so I figured not.

Who knows maybe I just have the itchies today LOL

Since I know that I haven't done it "wrong" I'll just deal with it and wash tonight, I want it to work on those ends for me

Rocket22
October 10th, 2011, 11:05 AM
I thought of that too, but I use it in cooking all the time so I figured not.

Who knows maybe I just have the itchies today LOL

Since I know that I haven't done it "wrong" I'll just deal with it and wash tonight, I want it to work on those ends for me

Well if it's not too bad then see what happens. If you do it again and you get the itchies I would next time put it only on the ends and don't get it near the scalp (no bun) and see if that will work. If you still get itchies then maybe try a different oil? :)

BelleBot
October 10th, 2011, 11:17 AM
You may not be allergic as such but your skin could be sensitive to it. Perhaps just use the oil like a serum on your ends when you wear your hair down.

A good way of finding out if your sensitive is to put a little oil on the inside of your wrist or just behind your ear and see if your skin starts to itch or turns red, if it does I'd advise looking for a different oil or not using it for deep treatments.

Good luck :)

Rybe
October 10th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Whenever you're trying something new it's never a bad idea to rub some on the inside of your elbow and let it sit for 20 min or so to see if you have any sort of reaction to it (itching/redness) before applying it to your scalp. This includes shampoos...but of course even I'm way too lazy to do that (though my husband and a couple of my friends have really wished they had at one point in their lives!!) But, on the flip side, I've found if my scalp doesn't feel clean enough/is too oily it gets crazy itchy. That could be the culprit too!

jennyjukes
October 10th, 2011, 12:17 PM
if you only applied the oil to the ends it shouldnt affect your scalp? maybe too tight bun or your shampoo :S i find coconut oil on my scalp few hours before shampooing actually decreases itchyness hmm

Kathie
October 10th, 2011, 12:27 PM
I agree something on the ends/length of your hair should not be affecting your scalp :)