PDA

View Full Version : Highlights to natural color?

sweetaj
October 10th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Hello LHC-ers! I've been lurking here for a week, and I've seen a lot of beautiful hair here! I've read a lot, but now I have a few questions that I would like opinions on.

I am currently growing out an inverted bob. It's about 1/2" from skimming my shoulders in front, and an inch shorter in the back. I get it trimmed every 6 weeks, and highlights/lowlights every other time.

I'm trying to take better care of my hair so I can grow it long again. I've been heat-free for 4 days (whoopee!), and now I'm thinking I should go back to my natural hair color. I'm pretty blonde now, but natural is close to Kristin Stewart's brown. (Only visual I could think of!) I'd add pictures, but I don't think I can with a low post count.

I know the best way to do this is to grow it out and chop off the highlights, but it would take me 10 years to do this (slow hair growth). Has anyone used a semi-permanent color to go back natural? Is this less damaging than highlights? I know it would need to be done probably every 6 weeks.

Any opinions/ideas are welcome!! I'm very excited to be growing my hair back out.

Thanks,
AJ

Babyfine
October 10th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Hi Sweetaj!
I had heavy highlights about 5 years ago and it was causing damage to my hair.
My hair was about BSL at the time. My stylist colored my hair back to brown
with a gentle demi-permanent color(her salon uses Redkens shades EQ)
I got lots of compliments on the color and there was no discernable damage at all.
I could have gone completely natural from there but I have chosen to get my hair re-colored every few months due to grey coming in.
But I could have grown my natural brown out quite easily if I had chosen from there, as the demi has no line of demarcation.

Rocket22
October 10th, 2011, 09:35 AM
What about weaving in low lights (your natural color) that way it's not a huge shock and go from there?

sweetaj
October 10th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Hi Sweetaj!
I had heavy highlights about 5 years ago and it was causing damage to my hair.
My hair was about BSL at the time. My stylist colored my hair back to brown
with a gentle demi-permanent color(her salon uses Redkens shades EQ)
I got lots of compliments on the color and there was no discernable damage at all.
I could have gone completely natural from there but I have chosen to get my hair re-colored every few months due to grey coming in.
But I could have grown my natural brown out quite easily if I had chosen from there, as the demi has no line of demarcation.

Hi Babyfine!! Thanks for the help. I love the color of your hair, and it's close to my natural shade. Do you know what # you use of the Redken? I am not sure if that's what my salon uses or not, but I'll certainly check on that. Does demi-permanent not wash out like the semi?

Thanks,
AJ

sweetaj
October 10th, 2011, 09:44 AM
What about weaving in low lights (your natural color) that way it's not a huge shock and go from there?

My stylist does do low lights every time, so I could have her do more dark than light next time. I was wanting to do something that would be less damaging. I know it will be a shock, since I've been blonde for almost 20 years.

I love brown hair - on other people! I'm scared that it won't look right with my skin tone, but I want to stop the hair damage.

Thanks,
AJ

justgreen
October 10th, 2011, 10:55 AM
You'll probably ignore my post. Why stop being blonde? I highlight my roots every 4-6 weeks. I have it done by a professional, have been since way before I joined LHC. My hair is over 40" long now and healthy. I have a couple of long layers I'm growing out, only get a slight dusting trim twice a year to straighten up the hemline. My hemline grows unevenly, otherwise I could go longer between trims. I blowdry a bit, right before my hair gets finished air drying. I dilute any shampoo I use. Mostly use Nature's Gate Original Herbal and L'oreal Everpure products, with some Sebastian Volume thrown in. I do a final rinse with distilled water to sluice off the hard well water we have.

Welcome to the boards and good luck growing long beautiful hair!

sweetaj
October 10th, 2011, 12:32 PM
You'll probably ignore my post. Why stop being blonde? I highlight my roots every 4-6 weeks. I have it done by a professional, have been since way before I joined LHC. My hair is over 40" long now and healthy. I have a couple of long layers I'm growing out, only get a slight dusting trim twice a year to straighten up the hemline. My hemline grows unevenly, otherwise I could go longer between trims. I blowdry a bit, right before my hair gets finished air drying. I dilute any shampoo I use. Mostly use Nature's Gate Original Herbal and L'oreal Everpure products, with some Sebastian Volume thrown in. I do a final rinse with distilled water to sluice off the hard well water we have.

Welcome to the boards and good luck growing long beautiful hair!

Wow, love your hair!

I was under the impression that I would have to stop dying my hair if I would like it to grow out nice and healthy. I do get a lot of breakage right after I get my highlights done, but other than that, it feels very soft and smooth.

Hmmmmm....now you've got me thinking!

Thanks,
AJ

Babyfine
October 10th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Hi Babyfine!! Thanks for the help. I love the color of your hair, and it's close to my natural shade. Do you know what # you use of the Redken? I am not sure if that's what my salon uses or not, but I'll certainly check on that. Does demi-permanent not wash out like the semi?

Thanks,
AJ

Thank YOu!! Not sure what the color is. My stylist told me she blends a couple of different shades and puts some red in there, as well.
It's a demi perm, so it lasts a little longer than a semi perm. I make sure not to shampoo or even wet my hair for 48 hours after coloring, and then I use a lowpoo or a shampoo only for color treated hair and shampoo 2 to 3 times a week. I've been able to get 8 weeks out of the color. But I only get it done every 3-5 months.
It fades out gracefully, with the silvers showing through.

justgreen
October 10th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Wow, love your hair!

I was under the impression that I would have to stop dying my hair if I would like it to grow out nice and healthy. I do get a lot of breakage right after I get my highlights done, but other than that, it feels very soft and smooth.

Hmmmmm....now you've got me thinking!

Thanks,
AJ

I get a little breakage , but it's minimal because I only get the roots done. I keep some long layers cut into it. I have about a 4" ponytail circumference, then my hair thins out about butt crack . I had a pretty bad hair loss last spring, due to a med that a pain doc put me on, so I'm hoping to gain some thickness back . It just takes time and taking care. I only wash once or twice a week. I use a triple dipped pick, no brushes.

And thank you. :flower: