PDA

View Full Version : Please Help me stop my hair getting knotty when I wear my Woolly Hat

whichypoohs
October 10th, 2011, 07:34 AM
I adore wearing my woolly hat in the winter, I have to as I live by the sea. However, my hair at the back ends up really knotted. Can anyone help? Thank you.

StormVixen
October 10th, 2011, 07:42 AM
i'm planning on sewing silk inside my hats... might help... :)

Carolyn
October 10th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Wool hats and sweaters are well know grabbers and tanglers of long hair. You either have to put a barrier between your hair and the hat or stop wearing wool hats.

RitaPG
October 10th, 2011, 07:57 AM
I was about to say the same. Either that or wearing a silk scarf under the hat, should do the trick :)

whichypoohs
October 10th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Thank you ladies: great idea about the silk. I didn't think about that. But there's NO WAY I can be without my woolly hat x

Chromis
October 10th, 2011, 08:37 AM
I wear wool hats all fall and winter here too. As long as my hair is up I have no tangles. It might take some experimenting with hat styles to find one that fits over the hair properly though! I have the best luck with tams rather than toques.

You could try wearing braids instead, but they tend to get caught in scarves and coats. If you are currently wearing it down it should still be an improvement though!

fil
October 10th, 2011, 08:53 AM

exactly what I was thinking. wooly hats are made for knotting up hair. it's what I wore to sleep to encourage my dreads to tighten up :B

spidermom
October 10th, 2011, 09:18 AM
I have an angora tam; nice and roomy - all my hair fits inside.
No knots.
Angora is warmer than wool. Much softer, too.

Carolyn
October 10th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Cashmere is wonderful too.

Loviatar
October 10th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Either sew a silk lining into your hat or switch to a cashmere hat! :)

truepeacenik
October 10th, 2011, 07:56 PM
I switched to fleece, which reduced the issue.

wooliswonderful
October 10th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Angora is warmer than wool. Much softer, too.
Wool can be incredibly soft.
All wools are not alike. :)

Slinks
October 10th, 2011, 08:22 PM

lol :lol: this is exactly what I was going to say :-) I haven't read any other responses but I'm guessing they are all the same .. lol
:cheese: for satin/silk !! the go get for healthy hair

mariazelie
October 14th, 2011, 02:25 AM
Thanks for asking this question, I have been wondering the same thing. I think I will try the cashmere when I buy the next hat.

amberpotamus
October 14th, 2011, 02:54 AM
Just out of curiosity, where does alpaca rank on the tangling issue? I'm guessing not too far below cashmere...

furnival
October 14th, 2011, 03:52 AM
I line my woollies with silk/ satin, and make sure that the lining extends about 1cm up the outside of the hat, if you know what I mean, so none of the wool comes into contact with my hair. Works a treat but I always wear my hair up inside it anyway. If it's that grabby woolly bit at the base at the back that's tangling your hair then this might help... :)