PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite down-do?

swords & roses
October 9th, 2011, 11:40 PM
I've got a fancy dinner shin-dig coming up on Saturday, but I'm not sure what to do with my head! Long hair is rare, so I love showing it off, though I don't really know what to do to dress it up but keep it down. I'm learning lots of fun buns to use my pretty hairsticks with, but down-do's aren't in my arsenal of hair knowledge.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a nice down-do? What's your favorite way to show off your crowning glory?

Thanks in advance! :)

Mairéad
October 9th, 2011, 11:43 PM
I like to braid my fringe and pin it with a nice clip. It's all I can really do with my hair currently. :o

uptosomeone
October 10th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Something like this, with fishtail or regular braids, would look so pretty!

http://www.haironthebrain.com/2010/03/how-to-doo-ri-fishtail-braids/

It would show off your length and look intricate and dressy at the same time.

Vanille_
October 10th, 2011, 12:17 AM
I was in bed, trying to describe this to you. Then I was like, "Stop being lazy- just go take a darn picture."

I don't like my hair in my face, and I rarely keep my hair down. This is my simple go-to when I am wanting it down. My husband hates when I put my hair up, so I kind of dedicate this to him.

As I said, I was in bed, so I'm not taking any pictures of my tired, no makeup face. But in the front, I would leave a few strands down (I wouldn't curl mine, but it may be a more elegant thing to do if you want).

The pink flower- I would usually use a similar white one, but I can't find it. The one with the three diamonds are just those little screw looking ones. I'd have someone tuck them in for ya. Actually, I'd probably have someone put any of these pins in as they can be a hassle to put in, but cover up the part you don't want to see, if you do it yourself.

I did this really fast, if I was going out I would of course take my time. If it was a REALLY specially occasion, I might straighten my hair.

I'm sure there will be a lot more pretty ideas, just thought I'd throw mine out :)

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z252/onexmorexgirl/DSC005911-1-1.jpg

Good luck!

edit: The jewels are actually really pretty and sparkly, but the camera just didn't take sharp enough pictures.

Vanille_
October 10th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Looking at it, it would probably look better if it had a bit of a braid twist, like a french braid or some other fancy braid.

Kyla
October 10th, 2011, 12:35 AM
Vanille, wow! Where do you find hair jewels like that? Those are awesome.

I think doing some kind of nice face framing wispie/bang braids often looks pretty good. :)

Vanille_
October 10th, 2011, 12:36 AM
Just anywhere really. Places like Clairs and whatnot- even walgreens or Walmart :)

Kyla
October 10th, 2011, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the info! :) Now I really feel the need to go shopping...

dulce
October 10th, 2011, 12:58 PM
A half up in a bun held with a flexi clip!

swords & roses
October 10th, 2011, 01:12 PM
I no has flexi clip. :( Someday! I've got a few styles of hairsticks, though...

Thanks for the suggestions, ladies! Keep 'em coming! :D

WaitingSoLong
October 10th, 2011, 01:27 PM
A half crown braid. Since I can't do a half crown, I cheat and part my hair on the side and do a lace braid or french or dutch on each side and make them one in the back only using the top half of my hair. This leaves the length down but keeps my front hair our of my face (and food).

A waterfall braid is another nice one.

Mountaingrrl
October 10th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Maiden braids: http://abeautifulmess.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/03/how-to-style-maiden-braids-.html

faithsdaisy421
October 10th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Maiden braids: http://abeautifulmess.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/03/how-to-style-maiden-braids-.html
Those are so lovely :)!! I am going to have to try them!

dulce
October 10th, 2011, 02:15 PM
You can also do a half up in a bun using hair sticks.See my album.

BlazingHeart
October 10th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Instead of braiding back the edges, I'll do a roll. There's a good description with pics of how to do all of your hair in one here http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/instruct/hair-roll/ - I divide my hair a bit above the tops of my ears and just include the top portion.

~Blaze

swords & roses
October 10th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Oooh, Mountaingrrl, that's a really pretty style! I like that it works for updo's and down-do's!

Dulce, I'd love to have a peek at your albums, but unfortunately, newbie status won't let me. I've got to find time to post more! Lol!

KwaveT
October 10th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Oooh, Mountaingrrl, that's a really pretty style! I like that it works for updo's and down-do's!

Dulce, I'd love to have a peek at your albums, but unfortunately, newbie status won't let me. I've got to find time to post more! Lol!

It doesn't take long to get to 25 posts. I registered my account in September too and you can see how many posts that I have. I had access to albums about a day after getting to 25 posts.

kidari
October 10th, 2011, 06:28 PM
For special occasions I will set my hair in a sock bun with a large section in a wet pin curl on top of my head overnight. When I'm about to go out I'll take it down and let it settle a bit while I do my makeup. Then I fluff it out and give my head a shake upside down and then inspect it. I'll go in and touch up sections with a large barrel curling iron, tease the crown area as needed with some dry shampoo (not too much, just a little bit) and then set the entire thing with some hairspray. I know these things are bad but I only do it once in a blue moon and I really want to enjoy my hair. This is how it looks best but I know I shouldn't do it everyday.

JamieLeigh
October 10th, 2011, 06:54 PM
I love to show off my length on special occasions, too. I like to lace-braid the very front sections of my hair and make them into a sort of headband, pinning them underneath, instead of letting them fall over the back (makes it easier for me to comb the length, if it needs it throughout the day; I don't have to move little braids out of the way).

I realllllly like BlazingHeart's link. That looks so elegant, and it's really easy to find fancy-looking barrettes pretty cheaply. I like the photos Vanille posted, too. You could easily curl the remaining length to dress it up even more. Looks like you've gotten a lot of good ideas, here! :D

It doesn't take long to get to 25 posts. I registered my account in September too and you can see how many posts that I have. I had access to albums about a day after getting to 25 posts.

^Hahaha...that was me, too. I lurked for a few months before joining, so I already had a bunch of threads I was ready to reply to. I just about ate this place alive the first day I started posting. ;)

/hijack

swords & roses
October 10th, 2011, 07:14 PM
hmm... curling irons...

One of these days I will figure out how to master those tricky little critters! Though I have thought about getting some rollers someone mentioned they got at Walmart: you just roll your wet hair in them and let them air dry. No need for heat. Might give that a go, combined with one of the styles on here! Now which one... :)

JuliaDancer
October 10th, 2011, 07:18 PM
I discovered something called hair twisters at the NY Renaissance Faire, and I love wearing them with my hair down. You don't need to do anything to your hair, and it's just decorated! I just put one on the side somewhere.

mora
October 10th, 2011, 07:21 PM
hmm... curling irons...

One of these days I will figure out how to master those tricky little critters! Though I have thought about getting some rollers someone mentioned they got at Walmart: you just roll your wet hair in them and let them air dry. No need for heat. Might give that a go, combined with one of the styles on here! Now which one... :)
Oooh, maybe you could try the Caruso steam curlers. People here seem to get really nice results with that.

Daelilly
October 10th, 2011, 07:30 PM
I'm older but when I like to wear my down but nice, I blow dry it straight, add a some hot sticks to the tips to add a little curl and hide the uneven ends.
Next, I section off the front like I'm going to pull it back but instead I pull it back and twist it close to the head lmaking a long "ponytail" section. I flip this twist up an put a small claw clip to hold it to the scalp. Now my pony tail is aiming up. I will add a few pins under the claw clip in the twisted section to keep from slipping down. Finally I fan out my "ponytail" section and let it cascade down over the claw clip onto the rest of the down hair. I will spray it with aussie instant freeze to keep it from separating and showing the clip underneath. To make it nicer around the face, I will take my pick and lift the hair to give it a small "bump" before the ponytail. This even adds the appearance of making your hair look even longer in the back. You can leave out some slightly curled strands to frame your face or tuck them behind your ear.

Daelilly
October 10th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Another fun way is a French twist but pull it up as you twist so you have long curls cascading down the back. Add some pins for glamor.

Vanille_
October 10th, 2011, 09:09 PM
You ladies have given me some great looks to try :) my husband thanks you. :D

swords & roses
October 10th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Vanille, I completely agree! So many great options here!

Now a French twist is one of the few hairstyles I haven't been able to master. I usually blame my slippery, fine hair and tell myself it's too long to hide inside the roll/twist. But to be honest, it's probably user error. ;)

Daelilly, what are hot sticks?

JuliaDancer, are these the hair twisters you're talking about? http://www.hairtwisters.com/

Lostsoule77
October 10th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Sometimes I do a half up. I like to do a rope braid when I do this. Usually though I part my hair on the side and pull the side closer to the part back with a pretty clip. I then create some lift in the front and just let that side and the rest of my hair hang free.
I've been doing this for years so it's easy for me to get the lift. I just pull it up with the comb a bit and it just works. I don't recall how I made it work when I first did it. I think I just parted my hair so that it was going against the grain. Like if I normally parted on the left I'd do it on the right and the roots would lift because they weren't used to lying that way. You could try braiding your hair the night before to incorporate waves if you want.

I didn't clip the side back here, but you can get the point about the front.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b255/lostsoule/IMG_2085.jpg

swords & roses
October 12th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Some fancy ponytail styles could be neat too! :) Anyone have ideas for those? All the styles I've been able to find on the boards are various buns.

JuliaDancer
October 12th, 2011, 09:04 AM

I love how she says the model has "extremely long and thick hair" when it looks to be about BSL... I didn't know anyone considered that "extremely long"....

swords & roses
October 12th, 2011, 09:13 AM
*snort* I totally missed that! Lol!

mora
October 12th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Some fancy ponytail styles could be neat too! :) Anyone have ideas for those? All the styles I've been able to find on the boards are various buns.

Have you seen this YouTube channel?
http:/ /www.youtube. com/user/ lilithedarkmoon

She had some nice hair styles with tutorials.

nobeltonya
October 12th, 2011, 11:18 AM
That's pretty, Vanille. I love fishtail or french braids. The Hawser [2 rope braids rope-braided together] is also a good one wet, because it's relatively quick and easy, and doesn't require my hair to be super neat [it helps, but not necessary]. IDK, I'm addicted to braids, especially when wet [they look a LOT better than my hair loose while it's drying].

TitaniaOfFairys
October 12th, 2011, 04:27 PM
I love to wear my hair down, and my favs are half updos with lace braids or dutch braids on the sides - similar to the elven hairstlyes in the Lord of the Rings movies.

daniew0708
October 12th, 2011, 04:33 PM
I just attended a wedding and i wore my hair in a waterfall braid with curled ends from a sock bun.

SwordWomanRiona
October 12th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Something like this, with fishtail or regular braids, would look so pretty!

http://www.haironthebrain.com/2010/03/how-to-doo-ri-fishtail-braids/

It would show off your length and look intricate and dressy at the same time.

Wow, I agree, so pretty! I would also recommend a half-up - Some three-strand/rope/fishtail braids held at the back, or maybe a small rose bun, like this:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7126&pictureid=102794

Metallia
October 12th, 2011, 05:15 PM
If I wear my hair down it's usually in a half up-do but my hair is curly so I just gently take the two front sections back and clip them , rather than braiding and taking them back that way. Unfortunately my hair is getting too long (heavy!) to be held by the little clips I usually use for that, so I may have to re-evaluate. I feel like that half-up style looks long and elegant, but also keeps it out of the way and 'contained', however you accomplish it! Hope your event goes well!

dulce
October 12th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Mora,check out what you can do with topsy tail ponytails and braids!

swords & roses
October 12th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Just tried to do a test run of sock curls. Sadly, those aren't going to happen. :( Not because it won't work, but because as soon as the fiance saw the massive bun smack on top of my head, he started teasing me and relentlessly tormenting me with the camera. Now I'm off to detangle damp, not-curled hair. *grumble grumble*

Diamond.Eyes
October 14th, 2011, 06:25 PM
I use this really nice curling method using two rags, and it gives me Taylor Swift-like curls that I love. :)

Libbylou
October 14th, 2011, 09:10 PM
You should check out torrinpaige on youtube. She does a great soft set with fabric curlers. She is also a member of LHC. The curlers can be bought almost anywhere, Walmart, drug stores, even dollar stores and are not expensive.

wooliswonderful
October 14th, 2011, 09:30 PM
SwordWomanRiona, your half-up is gorgeous!

luthein
October 15th, 2011, 09:32 AM
I'm looking at down-dos for my friend's wedding. I found these that I really like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e_Y1ZusM0U&feature=related (but I'm going to stop at about 3:20 to keep the remaining length down)

or I'll be doing this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qutbJS4QS-U&list=PL5A93B4D61A1A5C60&index=2

irishlady
October 15th, 2011, 09:39 AM
How about an elven inspired one? Just search for the elven hairstyles for Tolkienites thread, it's easy enough to find. Those are very pretty :)

SwordWomanRiona
October 15th, 2011, 11:39 AM
SwordWomanRiona, your half-up is gorgeous!

Thanks! :)