PDA

View Full Version : Positive Minoxidil Stories?

RadiantNeedle
October 9th, 2011, 10:46 PM
I've been tentatively diagnosed with androgenic alopecia, and have a prescription for minoxidil. I've been putting off purchasing it because, frankly, I'm a big chicken and I'm terrified of using it. But my hair is still falling out and no matter what I do, it's not growing back.

So, I need a little help putting my big girl pants on. Has anyone got POSITIVE stories to share? My anxiety is amazingly high at the best of times (PTSD), so I can't read negative stories. Yay I'm a delicate snowflake!

Pacific
October 10th, 2011, 01:59 AM
I'm using Minoxidil since December 2010. My hair loss stopped very quickly and I have lots of new growth. All in all my hair has thickened and after all this time I can say that it doesn't have any side effects for me. The only downside is, that I have to wash my hair every other day because the scalp is a bit sticky.

Kapri
October 10th, 2011, 02:40 AM
Dear Radiant Needle,
I've just come back from the trichologist I have been going to ever since my hair started thinning and tapering (at jaw level) in 2001. He is really pleased with the results of the drops I am on. They contain minoxidil and tonic and some hormone balancing stuff (I think!). Anyway, I'm on 3% just a dopper's worth for the crown and 5% for two bits at the upper temple. The 5% worked where the 3% didn't. I go to Philip Kingsley in LOndon and it is an expensive commitment. Paula Begoun discusses minoxidil on her website.

They basically promote new growth where new growth is possible.

Not everyone benefits but a lot of people do.

If you had a good reuptable clinical trichologist I would recommend a trip.

But my hair, growth wise is better than it would have been if I had not used the drops containing minoxidil.

It is a long term, commitment and has to be factored into your budget.

Kapri

alyanna
October 10th, 2011, 02:56 AM
Minoxidil is a lifetime commitment. What's annoying about it is that you have to apply every day and the texture and feel of it on the hair is not great. Not terrible, but not the best.

I used it for a while and definitely had less shedding -- I mean no shedding at all it seemed, while I was using it. I had some new growth but I stopped using Minoxidil before I could confirm results on my self. But my impression is that this stuff works.

My best friend, my husband's best friend (a guy) and my SIL's sister have been using it regularly and I've seen their results. The stuff works.

My best friend uses it on and off and I can ALWAYS tell whether she's on it or off it. When she's off it, she has an almost bald patch at the front of her head, just behind the hairline. When she's using Minoxidil, that patch disappears.

If you're a confirmed AGA, I'd definitely recommend using minoxidil. I never had side effects and only my BF complained that her eyebrows grow out faster when she's using it. Otherwise, haven't heard of any major side-effects.

Kapri
October 10th, 2011, 07:47 AM
My thin patch which is just on the hairline on both upper temples was quite noticeable and has improved radically with 5% minoxidil. The rest benefits from the lower strength.

What have you been prescribed strength and frequency of usage wise Radiantneedle?

Kapri

dulce
October 10th, 2011, 12:56 PM
I started using 2% on my temples and eyebrows when I went through menopause 8 years ago and it thinned a lot there.My temples and eyebrows grew back 75%,I had looked very funny with both of my eyebrows missing the outer 1/2 portion.They checked thyroid but it came back ok. Am still on it.

CosmoCat
May 28th, 2019, 03:00 PM
Any updates? I believe that I have androgenic alopecia too (in addition to trichorrhexis nodosa ��). I definitely have increased thinning along my part, which I didn’t realize is much worse until an accidental picture while trying to more hair shots the other day. I’m going to see my doctor and dermatologist to confirm it, however.

CosmoCat
May 28th, 2019, 03:02 PM
(My biological mom has thinning on top too. So, I don’t think it’s thyroid or anything, but I do want it all checked out.)