PDA

View Full Version : Hair Growth!!

lacefrost
October 9th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Sometimes, because my hair is so curly, I often feel like it hasn't grown at all. I'm sure if I straightened it, I would get a better idea of its growth. But I only really straighten once a year (in Decemeber, mark your calenders :eyebrows: )

But I was looking over pictures of braids and hair styles from earlier this year and I noticed a difference.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6637&pictureid=93980
Jan 2011

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6637&pictureid=115714
Oct 2011

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6637&pictureid=88371
June 2010 when I gave myself an awful haircut that I'm still growing out. (sigh) Shortest pieces were eye-level.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7375&pictureid=114436
Oct 2011 Shortest pieces are chin-length

And of course, the fro:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6637&pictureid=88366
Sept 2010

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6637&pictureid=97705
March 2011

I imagine the fro is bigger now but I haven't let it out so I'm not sure.

Another thing about the past versus the present is the hairstyles. I mean, how could people possibly say more hair is harder? I look at a lot of the pictures from back then and laugh because of how ridic I look. But I didn't have very much hair, so what can you do? :D

My hair as of this post is 27.5 so I should be making waist by Christmas! I'm very excited. I plan on straightening for a nice even hemline (a soft U) and trying out hair sticks and all kinds of buns and renaissance-style braids. It should be fun!

Yozhik
October 9th, 2011, 08:43 PM
:thud:

Your hair has grown tremendously! I absolutely love the way it looks, especially how long your pony is now.

Your texture is incredible and it looks really healthy.

I can't wait for December!

skraprchik
October 9th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Great progress! I can't wait to see how your hair looks when you straighten it. I bet it'll look great!

This reminds me why I need to take more pictures of my hair and its various hairstyles. It's really hard to see progress otherwise in type 4 hair.

Helix
October 9th, 2011, 09:01 PM
You already know I think your hair is fi-yah! It's grown a lot. Very inspiring.

mora
October 9th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Wow! Your hair is so beautifully awesome and it's grown so much. :)

CurlyCap
October 9th, 2011, 09:31 PM
I love that you wear your hair curly!

So many of my friends are too terrified to even let their natural texture show. I love type 4 hair. It looks so soft.

thelittlestdoc
October 9th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Wow, really beautiful hair. Definitely a good bit of length--can't wait to see the straightened pic in December :cheese:

buttercupmcgee
October 9th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Gorgeous! Fast progress and I love the last pic.

Slinks
October 9th, 2011, 09:38 PM
you do have a growth there ..

Lostsoule77
October 9th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Your hair is gorgeous and you have definitely gained a lot of length. :) I too can't wait to see how long it'll look straight.

AnqeIicDemise
October 9th, 2011, 09:42 PM
I heart your fro, just so you know.

Oooh, a rhyme! :D

Cassie 123
October 9th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Beautiful! I see quite a bit of growth!

Crysta
October 9th, 2011, 10:01 PM
I'm in love with you hair! it's friggin' fantastic.

racrane
October 9th, 2011, 10:02 PM
I love your hair. I can't wait to see what it will look like straight. Lovely!

Rocket22
October 9th, 2011, 10:29 PM
You have amazing hair. If I remember correctly your hair straightens crazy long :)

Kosmos
October 9th, 2011, 10:35 PM
You've absolutely fabulous hair. Even when you said you had a bad haircut I still thought you looked fabulous.

fairytalehair
October 9th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Dang girl, lovin the fro!

fairytalehair
October 9th, 2011, 11:00 PM
When you straighten, will it be temporary? How long does it stay straight for, and how do you do it? Just wondering, I love it curly but can't wait to see the magic happen and see it straight too!

ericthegreat
October 9th, 2011, 11:06 PM
I just LOVE your hair. I've always been fascinated by African hair, its texture is on the complete opposite end of the spectrum as my hair and I've always been amazed at the sheer number of possible hairstyles that your kind of hairtype can by manipulated into. From braids, to dreadlocks, to afros, and even when it is heat styled straight and smooth, it still holds more body than all the other hairtypes. And when you make a parting or other kind of mainpulation into your hair, IT STAYS!!!! :p That is just simply amazing.

Lucky
October 10th, 2011, 01:09 AM
Your hair is beautiful and you can definitely see growth! I LOVE the fro, especially in the March 2011 pic, it looks fantastic!

Vanille_
October 10th, 2011, 01:13 AM
I'm sure you get the point by now, but that fro is freaking beautiful! As are all your styles. Just beautiful hair :)

freckles
October 10th, 2011, 03:05 AM
definitely a LOT of length gain! most obvious between the first two pictures I reckon. Beautiful hair - congratulations! :)

katienoonan
October 10th, 2011, 03:11 AM
Gorgeous! And you look just like Rihanna! xXx

Sweetie
October 10th, 2011, 03:16 AM
your hair looks gorgeous!!!! I really would love to see it both fro and straightened!

Kiwiwi
October 10th, 2011, 03:29 AM
Wow, you've grown a LOT!
It looks soooo beautiful! And YOU are so beautiful as well!
I absolutely LOVE your fro. LOVE LOVE LOVE.
Looks really good on you.

Congratulations with the grow

C.H.
October 10th, 2011, 03:58 AM
That is awesome growth! Your hair is looking great and I know sometimes we bemoan how shrinkage seems to steal so much growth, but there's a very significant difference, even without straightening it. You're doing great. And thanks for posting pictures, I just love, love, love progress pics.

Aveyronnaise
October 10th, 2011, 04:19 AM
In the Oct 11 picture you can really see the fabulous condition your hair is in , it's so shiny even in a webcam looking photo.
And yes Hurrah for growth !

tolly
October 10th, 2011, 10:12 AM
your hair is beautiful, I love your pictures, I look forward to having similar growth in a few years

fil
October 10th, 2011, 10:14 AM
wow! I can't see the photos that you posted maybe, but your hair is really really beautiful. I am envious. your curls are awesome.

honeyblonde
October 10th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Great job! Love the braids... so pretty :flower:

pepperminttea
October 10th, 2011, 10:28 AM
There's definitely a lot of growth there! :) Goodness, I love your texture - that 'fro is incredible!

seethruugirl
October 10th, 2011, 10:32 AM
I love the fro!!! So freaking beautiful!!! In the first pics is your hair dreaded or is that braids? I can't tell....either way its beautiful... :) so much personality in your hair... :)

BabyRay33
October 10th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Everytime I see your avatar I always think about how awesome your hair looks!! Being a straightie, I am not afriad to tell you that I am super jealous of your great texture and fullness!!

CurlyMopTop
October 10th, 2011, 12:31 PM
I love your hair! :thud:

WaitingSoLong
October 10th, 2011, 01:38 PM
OH NO I have some serious FRO ENVY. Too awesome for words. I have always been a bit fascinated (and envious) of AA hair.

That is a huge amount of growth! WOW!

I cannot get over how different you look with the fro vs. the ponytail.

Great pics! Thanks for sharing :O)

Yame
October 10th, 2011, 01:52 PM
I love your hair!

lacefrost
October 10th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Awww guys you're making me blush! :crush: Thanks so much for all of your sweet comments! I was worried no one else would get excited but me because it's hard to see growth in curly hair. It doesn't look that same as posting a pic with straight/wavy hair at APL+ and then at MBL. Thanks, you guys. :flower:

When you straighten, will it be temporary? How long does it stay straight for, and how do you do it? Just wondering, I love it curly but can't wait to see the magic happen and see it straight too!

Yep, it will be temporary. I'm going to try to keep it straight for a month. Basically, I just shampoo, blow dry and flat iron. Because this process is a no-no for hair, I only do it once a year, if that.

The only way to keep it straight is to not get it wet. Luckily since my hair doesn't get oily, it doesn't really have a chance to get dirty.

I'll eventually put my hair in a big braid, wet it and see if I can get loose waves like that. Never tried it before but looking forward to it!

Slinks
October 11th, 2011, 02:20 AM
I'll eventually put my hair in a big braid, wet it and see if I can get loose waves like that. Never tried it before but looking forward to it!

I wonder if that will work .. would be awesome if it did, it's such a bummer you have to use all the frying but wow the length will be something very noticable .. does your hair get heavy if you put oil in it ?

Of the Fae
October 11th, 2011, 02:27 AM
I love your curls :D
I also love your avatar pic, and it definitely seems longer!
I am curious about your straight look, but I also enjoy your 'fro! It's so full, awesome!

CarpeDM
October 11th, 2011, 05:28 AM
Your hair is so awesome!!

Shesta
October 11th, 2011, 06:04 AM
You have the most beautiful afro-hair I've seen! Simply gorgeous! :)

kittensoupnrice
October 11th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Just had to drop in here and agree with everybody else.
You have GORGEOUS hair! :thud:

dementedkitten
October 11th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful and so striking!

Aimskylove
October 11th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Wow I love it! Your hair is fun! :) You have grown alot too!

lacefrost
October 11th, 2011, 08:38 PM
I love the fro!!! So freaking beautiful!!! In the first pics is your hair dreaded or is that braids? I can't tell....either way its beautiful... :) so much personality in your hair... :)

Thank you :) Just braided. I think I'd go crazy having locs at this point in my life. Maybe when I'm 70 or older and have arthritis or bad stamina and don't want to deal with the detangling. But right now I like being able to wear it english mini-braided, mini rope-braided, those previous styles let loose, blow dried, 3c-curled, in buns, and every combination of the previous.

I wonder if that will work .. would be awesome if it did, it's such a bummer you have to use all the frying but wow the length will be something very noticable .. does your hair get heavy if you put oil in it ?

Yeah, I'm still trying to work out a way to get my length more loosely curled without heat. I suck a roller-setting though and I don't want to pay big bucks for it all the time. Luckily, flat ironing doesn't damage my hair too much. I used to get it chemically relaxed every month, plus highlights, plus straightened every 2 weeks and shampooed every 2 weeks. And my hair was APL+ and thick. It had breakage but not nearly as much as girls I knew who were doing the same thing.

The only time I notice my hair feeling heavy is when it's wet. I always oil or cocoa butter it heavily. It makes it more moisturized, way softer and less frizzy. I also usually wet my hair or CO every couple of days, so it does eventually all come out. Oh and my hair does soak up oil and water like a dying man, so that helps too.

I'm considering growing until my hair braided reaches bra strap. Braided I'm at APL and straight at almost waist. So maybe if I grow to TBL, it'll be BSL braided.

utdesertrunner
October 11th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Simply jaw dropping! I love the curls! And you can indeed tell it's grown!

Juicematic
October 11th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Really nice progress.

Also I totally know the mall you took your siggy pic in. Sad that I'm such a mall rat. :suspect:

luthein
October 11th, 2011, 08:45 PM
WOW your hair is AWESOME. I want an updated fro shot! (at your convenience, please.)

C.H.
October 11th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Thank you :) Just braided. I think I'd go crazy having locs at this point in my life. Maybe when I'm 70 or older and have arthritis or bad stamina and don't want to deal with the detangling. But right now I like being able to wear it english mini-braided, mini rope-braided, those previous styles let loose, blow dried, 3c-curled, in buns, and every combination of the previous.

Yeah, I'm still trying to work out a way to get my length more loosely curled without heat. I suck a roller-setting though and I don't want to pay big bucks for it all the time. Luckily, flat ironing doesn't damage my hair too much. I used to get it chemically relaxed every month, plus highlights, plus straightened every 2 weeks and shampooed every 2 weeks. And my hair was APL+ and thick. It had breakage but not nearly as much as girls I knew who were doing the same thing.

The only time I notice my hair feeling heavy is when it's wet. I always oil or cocoa butter it heavily. It makes it more moisturized, way softer and less frizzy. I also usually wet my hair or CO every couple of days, so it does eventually all come out. Oh and my hair does soak up oil and water like a dying man, so that helps too.

I'm considering growing until my hair braided reaches bra strap. Braided I'm at APL and straight at almost waist. So maybe if I grow to TBL, it'll be BSL braided.

No luck with wrapping? I haven't gotten around to experimenting with that technique yet.

lindaton
October 11th, 2011, 11:06 PM
I also love your hair. Every time I see your avatar photo I get so envious of your curls. And you are adorable.

Debra83
October 11th, 2011, 11:29 PM
I bought an Instyler awhile back, and the infomercial, I'm pretty sure, had a girl with curly hair like yours. You might want to check out their website!

I've only used it 3 times, but that's what I'll do instead of a straightener. Probably same damage, but better results....

I wonder what Ultrabella's caruso steam rollers (her special kind) would do for you too? I don't have a set of those but I've heard rave reviews.

C.H.
October 11th, 2011, 11:38 PM
I bought an Instyler awhile back, and the infomercial, I'm pretty sure, had a girl with curly hair like yours. You might want to check out their website!

I've only used it 3 times, but that's what I'll do instead of a straightener. Probably same damage, but better results....

I wonder what Ultrabella's caruso steam rollers (her special kind) would do for you too? I don't have a set of those but I've heard rave reviews.

You know, I've wondered if the carusos would work to loosen up my curls. Seems I'm not the only one who's thought of this.

lacefrost
October 11th, 2011, 11:55 PM
WOW your hair is AWESOME. I want an updated fro shot! (at your convenience, please.)

Next time I let the fro out, I'll take a pic just for you!

No luck with wrapping? I haven't gotten around to experimenting with that technique yet.

Nope! My hair is too coarse and thick for it to lay down. My hair fights gravity always.

I imagine an Instyler would work but since I straighten my hair so infrequently, it's not worth it for me to buy all the stuff I need. I'd rather just shell out the cash once a year for a stylist to do it for me. They do it faster and better than I could ever do it.

Steam rollers worked when my hair was chemically straightened but since it's so curly now, while I think I would get the big curls, they wouldn't be soft and smooth. They would have little waves and snarls from where my hair wasn't smoothed out enough by them.

I can basically get my hair to stay in a style forever as long as I wet-set it. But if I try to set my hair while it's dry or with heat, it doesn't turn out as well.

akosei
October 12th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I'm having total hair envy! Your hair looks fantastic! And you can definitely see the growth. Please pardon this overtired phrase, but you grow girl!!!:cheer: