PDA

View Full Version : That's it, I'm going blue.

ZenGwen
October 9th, 2011, 05:36 PM
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/264688_2058255168756_1015940417_2350337_4848103_n. jpg

That's me in the black and white above, on my graduation day a couple of months ago. (We're in Scotland, my boyfriend is wearing a very sexy kilt, not horrid golf trousers or something. Just so y'know.) My hair is bum length now and for the most part I've enjoyed having it. For about the last six months though, it's just been very annoying. It doesn't look very nice on me when it's up or braided, and it always tangles or gets in the way when it's down. Plus I live in a very windy city, so... not good.

I had very nearly decided to cut it quite short - like, above chin length even - as since graduation I feel like I've totally restarted my life. Great new job, new flat with boyfriend, hanging out with different people, and most noticeably, have been getting very much into shape (have lost about 2 dress sizes, nearly three, since that photo was taken - and not just dieting either, am putting on a ton of awesome muscle). But then, on a whim, I asked my boss if he'd mind me coming in with crazy-colored hair. And he's totally fine with it, even encouraging. And if I can dye it blue AND have it down to my bum, how cool would that be!

So that's the new plan. I know that a lot of the stuff here is very much about using only natural stuff on your hair, etc... but there's got to be a couple other folks who like the unnatural, right? Anyone? Am I totally taboo breaking here? I have very little idea what I'm doing, does anyone have advice? What kind of dye should I use? How much will I need? I'm planning to get it professionally bleached first, which I'm sure will damage it quite a bit - but I was going to cut it all off anyway, so hey, it's all good! I've heard that some dyes are actually quite good conditioners though? Does anyone know anything about that?

It's weird, while I was in uni I was very concerned about keeping it natural so I could look professional and get a job, but now that I have one I'm thinking blue hair, new piercings...

spidermom
October 9th, 2011, 05:41 PM
I love the fantasy colors.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/outside.jpg
Yes, even at my age. This was Punky by Jerome Russell Rose Red. Next stop - Manic Panic Atomic Turquoise (maybe next weekend).

I'm lucky my hair is so light. No bleach required.

The Punky color lasted a lot longer for me than the Manic Panic. Good luck achieving blue, and enjoy!

UltraBella
October 9th, 2011, 05:43 PM
I am just so bummed that you didn't include an after picture of the new you ! Congrats on the weight loss !!!

ouseljay
October 9th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Please please show pictures of the blue! I would love to see it when you get it done. No advice here, but good luck. :D

SoulOfTheSea
October 9th, 2011, 05:48 PM
I would use Manic Panic, since it is all natural and vegan. And with your natural color, you can get away without bleaching it, and you will have a beautiful shade of blue. Seriously. :)

fil
October 9th, 2011, 05:53 PM
you should absolutely dye it blue, and keep it that length! also I think there's a way around doing terrible damage to your hair and still making it blue, but probably talk to a stylist about it, not me. But my mom's been dying her hair for ten years at least, and it's still as soft as if she never had. I think as long as you know what you're doing before you do it, you're straight. :3

spidermom
October 9th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Oh good point, SouloftheSea. Do try the blue without bleaching first; see whether the color satisfies.

I found Punky to be wonderfully conditioning. I only tried the Manic Panic once at the top of my head because that's where the rose-red was fading first, and it didn't last through two washings.

SoulOfTheSea
October 9th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Oh good point, SouloftheSea. Do try the blue without bleaching first; see whether the color satisfies.

I found Punky to be wonderfully conditioning. I only tried the Manic Panic once at the top of my head because that's where the rose-red was fading first, and it didn't last through two washings.

I had used Manic Panic Purple Haze on my unbleached hair in a streak, and it came out a lovely shade of dark purple that I loved! Her hair color looks really similar to mine, so that's why I suggested she try that first. By the way spidermom, I love the Punky color on your hair, it's so wild! :)

My purple streak lasted months actually! I had use a clarifying shampoo on my streak, then let it air dry, applied the dye heavily on the streak, combed it through until it got bubbly, and then left it on for like 6 hours. Then I rinsed with lukewarm water until it ran clear, and then finished it off with some conditioner and a rinse of cold water. :) I found that the Manic Panic conditioned my hair as well, leaving it shiny and soft.

SoulOfTheSea
October 9th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Then again, I did use the new Amplified Manic Panic, which is supposed to last longer! :D (Forgot to mention that!)

spidermom
October 9th, 2011, 07:03 PM
I didn't use any shampoo, and I think there might have been conditioner in my hair when I tried Manic Panic, though I can't remember. I only left it on for one hour.

Crysta
October 9th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I used to have blue hair [pictures in my albums]

Now I have dark brown hair so of course I had to bleach it to get the vivid blue (and purple and pink LOL) that I wanted, now I did that with waist length hair for around 3 years - only recently was the amount of damage to my hair severe enough that I cut it to APL.

So if you bleach correctly you're not likely to lose off any unplanned hair - it's still best to do the colour first and then cut the hair. My hair continued to grow - I bleached my roots every 6 weeks, and bleached out the colour when i wanted to change it or the shade of it, I was able to do that for 3 years without any damage, and you hair looks as though it's in better condition than mine was.

I like stargazer and manic panic. I think the best colour is Manic Panic [la riche].

I think you may not have to bleach your hair though - it looks light brown? if you try to colour first before bleaching it, see if you're happy with the results of that. Less bleach damage is always good :D

Do what makes you happy, I don't think a lot of people here will try to convince you to not do what you want :)

Advice wise, i'd say use la riche directions, I find this is the most long lasting colour - the most vivid, i find, is special effects. If you ever decide to bleach hair yourself - 30vol developing creame fluid with a blue powder - but i'd say get it done professionally, as you've said.

I was a cone free CO washer when I was a bleacher - I only shampooed to get bleach out, This helped me keep the colour a lot longer.

As for the colour itself - get a colour chart from the brand you decide you want, and look at each shade next to your skin - to find the one that works best. it's better still to do that against your face skin [which tends to be lighter than the rest of your body]

Good look with your new hair :)
and OMG AWESOME THINGS HAPPENING :D

Kudos on the weight loss.

lizdini
October 9th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I have no advice, but it sounds cool! Please post pics when your done!
PS - gotta love a man in a kilt, right?:eyebrows:

luxepiggy
October 9th, 2011, 07:53 PM
What shade of blue are you going for? Because if you're after something like royal blue, I think your natural hair colour is light enough to achieve a pretty vibrant colour without bleaching. It's worth a shot, at least! I highly recommend Special Effects dye for both colour intensity & staying power (^(oo)^)v

IcarusBride
October 9th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I can't wait to see your update picture! I say if you want to do it, forget what LHC members could say (it looks like everyone's supportive anyways!) and go for it.

AnnaJamila
October 9th, 2011, 08:43 PM
I say try the blue without the bleach first- who knows, you may love it and you wouldn't have any damage! :)

julierockhead
October 9th, 2011, 08:47 PM
What a cool boss you have - take advantage! You might want to take a look at elumen colors too.
http://www.elumen-haircolor.com/
They have a nice blue :)

SimplyViki
October 9th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I'm also going to chime in and say try Manic Panic or some other similar dye without bleach first! Our hair color is pretty similar, I think, and I recently Manic Panic'd my hair red. No bleach was needed!
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g314/vharrod/Photo0681.jpg

elfgirl
October 9th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Congratulations on everything! Hooray for new beginnings :D

I've streaked my hair red twice, once with Manic Panic, and the second time with Special Effects (I had it done professionally). I found that the MP seemed to stay in my hair for longer, and the colour was more vibrant. My hair colour is about the same as yours (might be a bit darker), and I never had to use bleach for the dyes.

My friend's girlfriend has cobalt blue hair (around chin length), and she uses Elumen. I haven't had any personal experience with E, but have heard good things about it. Whichever dye you feel the most comfortable with.

I'd say go for it, and do whatever makes you happy! :) Also, keeping your hair the length it is and having it blue would be amazing, IMO.

Best of luck! :)

hs_atreides
October 9th, 2011, 09:03 PM
I have an electric blue panel that requires me to bleach my dark brown hair. The rest of my hair is colored only with occasional deposit only. It's in good shape, esp considering the bleached section.
You may want to try only a streak of blue initially. You will get an idea of what your hair will take colorwise and you will know how long it lasts and how you like the fading out. I have used Manic Panic, liked the color although a bit dark, but it faded fast. I have had great lasting color with Special Effects, although it too was dark it faded purple instead of green. I have another blue that I like the color but it fades fast and I cannot remember the name.
I recommend leaving it on for hours, I often go for 6 hours with occasional heat.

Lostsoule77
October 9th, 2011, 09:29 PM
I agree that your hair looks light enough that I'd try dying without the bleach. I'm not sure on which dye to use, but would love to see pictures once you do it. I think it'll look gorgeous. :)

Slinks
October 9th, 2011, 09:45 PM
I am just so bummed that you didn't include an after picture of the new you ! Congrats on the weight loss !!!
I so totally agree !!!

ZenGwen
October 10th, 2011, 03:23 AM
Wow, thanks for all the great responses! Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the new, slimmer me yet, but I'm sure it'll happen soon. I'll certainly post pictures once I look like a smurf, in any case!

My hair is actually a bit darker than that picture indicates; it catches sunlight really well, but as I live in Scotland, most of the time it isn't sunny! Just lucked out for my graduation day. This picture is maybe a bit more representative:

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/26476_390734702040_554517040_4320406_5553589_n.jpg

Even then, I was taking advantage of freakish amounts of sunlight streaming in through the windows, which brought out highlights I didn't realize I had. Geez, that was about a year and a half ago now... time flies.

So I'm pretty sure that if I do it without bleaching, it'll go darker and I'll have lovely blue highlights, but not sure other than that. The main reason I don't want to just try it without bleaching first is that, well, that much dye costs a lot and I'm making £7 an hour! A streak might be an idea, although I imagine that'd make it a bit more difficult if I then decide to bleach over it? Not sure. Hmmmm.

I also want to be able to transition to lighter, brighter colors over time. A friend of mine works her way around the color wheel over the course of a year - overdye blue with turquoise, then green, yellow, orange, pink, red, purple, then back to blue! I'd like to be able to do something like that - also freakishly lovely things like streaks and half one color, half another - and I think having bleached first would provide a better base for it. Can touch up roots at home.

I used to have blue hair [pictures in my albums]

Now I have dark brown hair so of course I had to bleach it to get the vivid blue (and purple and pink LOL) that I wanted, now I did that with waist length hair for around 3 years - only recently was the amount of damage to my hair severe enough that I cut it to APL.

So if you bleach correctly you're not likely to lose off any unplanned hair - it's still best to do the colour first and then cut the hair. My hair continued to grow - I bleached my roots every 6 weeks, and bleached out the colour when i wanted to change it or the shade of it, I was able to do that for 3 years without any damage, and you hair looks as though it's in better condition than mine was.

I like stargazer and manic panic. I think the best colour is Manic Panic [la riche].

I think you may not have to bleach your hair though - it looks light brown? if you try to colour first before bleaching it, see if you're happy with the results of that. Less bleach damage is always good :D

Do what makes you happy, I don't think a lot of people here will try to convince you to not do what you want :)

Advice wise, i'd say use la riche directions, I find this is the most long lasting colour - the most vivid, i find, is special effects. If you ever decide to bleach hair yourself - 30vol developing creame fluid with a blue powder - but i'd say get it done professionally, as you've said.

I was a cone free CO washer when I was a bleacher - I only shampooed to get bleach out, This helped me keep the colour a lot longer.

As for the colour itself - get a colour chart from the brand you decide you want, and look at each shade next to your skin - to find the one that works best. it's better still to do that against your face skin [which tends to be lighter than the rest of your body]

Good look with your new hair :)
and OMG AWESOME THINGS HAPPENING :D

Kudos on the weight loss.

Thanks! I was originally thinking Special Effects dye, but it seems quite pricey and I've heard a lot of good things about Manic Panic. I'll have a look around for the kind you mentioned. Do you know how many pots I should expect to need? I've heard up to 6 - but my boyfriend dyed his shoulder-length hair green with Stargazer stuff a while ago and only needed one, so... I dunno. I guess err on the side of getting too much.

I have no advice, but it sounds cool! Please post pics when your done!
PS - gotta love a man in a kilt, right?:eyebrows:

Oh yes. This is totally not one of the main reasons I moved to Scotland, I swear. Ehehehe.

They sell these little tartan "mini kilts" in all the tourist shops, for women - the other day I was at a club (a rather, err, "specialty" club to be fair) and there was a guy wandering around in tight black t-shirt, big stompy boots, and one of those mini-kilts. It was the best thing ever.

What shade of blue are you going for? Because if you're after something like royal blue, I think your natural hair colour is light enough to achieve a pretty vibrant colour without bleaching. It's worth a shot, at least! I highly recommend Special Effects dye for both colour intensity & staying power (^(oo)^)v

I am going for a pretty dark blue - I was looking at the Special Effects Blue Velvet color. I figure dark funky colors work with both my goth and steampunky tendencies. I was also thinking that if I went darker, while it was fading it would still be quite bright/obvious? Dunno.

Do you have any recommendations on how much Special Effects dye I would need? (Haven't completely decided what to go for, but knowing how much I'd need is helpful.)

What a cool boss you have - take advantage! You might want to take a look at elumen colors too.
http://www.elumen-haircolor.com/
They have a nice blue :)

I am totally taking advantage! It's a really awesome place to work, I tend to come in wearing doc martens and tees from Threadless. Bossman is even talking about putting a slackline in the back garden. :D

Thanks for the recommendation, hadn't heard of Elumen before but will check it out.

I'm also going to chime in and say try Manic Panic or some other similar dye without bleach first! Our hair color is pretty similar, I think, and I recently Manic Panic'd my hair red. No bleach was needed!

Oooooh, your hair is gorgeous. :D

I have an electric blue panel that requires me to bleach my dark brown hair. The rest of my hair is colored only with occasional deposit only. It's in good shape, esp considering the bleached section.
You may want to try only a streak of blue initially. You will get an idea of what your hair will take colorwise and you will know how long it lasts and how you like the fading out. I have used Manic Panic, liked the color although a bit dark, but it faded fast. I have had great lasting color with Special Effects, although it too was dark it faded purple instead of green. I have another blue that I like the color but it fades fast and I cannot remember the name.
I recommend leaving it on for hours, I often go for 6 hours with occasional heat.

Thanks for the streak idea - I just might do that. I've heard from some other folks that leaving it in for a while is a good idea, too. I was thinking I might put it in, watch a movie, then wash it out after. Scott Pilgrim seems appropriate. :)

kielrain
October 10th, 2011, 04:23 AM
I LOVE blue hair. When it fades I found, for me, that the Manic Panic faded into more yucky type colours while the Special Effect faded nicer. (I tended to change my hair colour pretty often and have had many colours, at times multiple... fade never bothered me, if it was nice colours, I just figured it was more fun colours on my hair!) This was on completely bleached hair. You get to see all the crazy fadey colours that way. :P Sorry I can't help with how much to use, I still have short short hair. Though a bottle of SFX would last me 3-4 full head dyes. Also, anytime I dyed it I put it on for at least overnight. The longer the better. Just a movie long, and I wouldn't have gotten the really bright colour.
Enjoy having fun crazy colour hair... and take pictures!!!

Celtic Morla
October 10th, 2011, 11:22 AM
As a groomer who has used colour for many eyars I will agree that Manic Panic seems t fade quicker esp certain colours!. Don't overlook other sources, one of my best dye jobs was using green kool Aid! I loved using Punky Colours but cannot find it locally as all the places seem to carry Manic Panic. One day i will just have to buy a lot so i can get a wholsesale price! Not sure about the other colours people have mantioned as i havent tried them!

lapushka
October 10th, 2011, 11:36 AM
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g314/vharrod/Photo0681.jpg

I love that shade of red! What's it called, if you don't mind my asking? :)

SimplyViki
October 10th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Oooooh, your hair is gorgeous. :D

Thank you! I'm sure whatever you decide to do will be lovely. I love the highlight/lowlight effect your hair has in that last shot you posted!

I love that shade of red! What's it called, if you don't mind my asking? :)
I don't mind at all! :D It's Manic Panic Vampire Red. It looked rather alarming at first, I must say. The photo doesn't quite capture the bright color, but it's fading nicely.

lapushka
October 10th, 2011, 11:56 AM
I don't mind at all! :D It's Manic Panic Vampire Red. It looked rather alarming at first, I must say. The photo doesn't quite capture the bright color, but it's fading nicely.

Thanks for letting me know. I think it looks awesome! :thumbsup:

pink.sara
October 10th, 2011, 12:01 PM
I'll chime in as a hardcore colour user!
Here's some hints:
Clarify before and let it dry to a just damp stage (makes for more intense colour uptake but less dye needed than dry)
You don't need to comb it through. The pots mostly suggest it but I find it works just a well to make about 8 sections of hair and stroke it down the hair until it's saturated. Combing is damaging.
You only need to bleach to pale orange/yellow to achieve most colours (except superpale pastel ones) this means less damage. But def try a streak without bleach first, it may work!
Leave the colour on under some cling film for HOURS! I generally leave it 5-6.
Special effects lasts longer than manic panic, but crazy colour (cheap on eBay or in a Capital if you have a hairdresser/beautician friend) is very vivid and lasts great.
Then once it's dyed, diluted shampoo, cool water and avoiding swimming pools!

I once left a trail of green in a public pool for about 10 feet behind me :)

I used to use 2 bottles for waist length thick hair but get a 3rd just in case and to top up!

I also do the colour wheel thing... I have been White, baby pink, violet, fuchsia, bright red, purple, blue and now teal green this year ;) it's awesome and you never get bored :)

HTH and post pics!

Dizzy_zzz
October 10th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Thank you! I'm sure whatever you decide to do will be lovely. I love the highlight/lowlight effect your hair has in that last shot you posted!

I second this! It fades beautifully (sort of pink, then orange....) I used Vampire Red, too; it's what's on my siggy.

BTW, your hair is absolutely gorgeous! I am in total envy of it...might as well dye my hair green, now ;)

I've used manic panic blue on my hair before, too, and it does fade very quickly-- meaning it starts to fade within one or two washes. Until it fades it's very pretty, but it turns this weird green colour. Also, I tried it on my sister's virgin medium brown hair, and it didn't show up it the least.

pepperminttea
October 10th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Natural schmatural, I think blue hair would look awesome on you. :D

HairFaerie
October 10th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Yay! I love blue hair! I didn't bleach first. Here is mine from about 5 years ago:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7919&pictureid=115801

Good luck with yours and post pics, please! :)

BlazingHeart
October 10th, 2011, 02:28 PM
I tend to favor either true natural colors or really vividly unnatural colors. I wish I could dye my hair burgundy again, but interview time is here for summer jobs, and I need a good summer job this year as it's my last summer before I graduate. *sigh* Unfortunately, my hair takes dye and holds it really, really well, so I'd probably have to cut it out anyhow, which would mean a lot more time before I find out what my terminal length is. (That is, by the way, why I'm growing my hair out. I'm not sure how long I'll leave it long-term, but I've had it hip length in the past, so I want to know...how far will it go?)

Anyhow, as far as trouble bleaching it later, dyeing a strip with a deposit-only shouldn't make a significant difference to bleaching it later, so you should be good to test it even if you decide you don't like it.

~Blaze

MandyBeth
October 10th, 2011, 08:10 PM
DH is white blonde and goes for any color out there. For blue, he says MP is not his vote, always goes murky green in a wash or two. Special Effects last well and go to a purple tint when fading. He also likes Punky color.

pennyroyal
October 10th, 2011, 11:46 PM
I actually have a bottle of Manic Panic blue right now. I have had it for a couple of months but i haven't used it yet. I want to tho.

Pictures please!!!

clichepithet
October 11th, 2011, 03:53 PM
DH is white blonde and goes for any color out there. For blue, he says MP is not his vote, always goes murky green in a wash or two. Special Effects last well and go to a purple tint when fading. He also likes Punky color.

I thought you were married to an African American gentleman? Sorry, it's just this recent post (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1801577&postcount=9) was rather memorable.

Does he bleach or are there other definitions for "n----r" I'm not aware of?

/hijack

I love everyone's colors! My under-layers are pink, though I did not have to (and chose not to) bleach, being blondish to begin with. I'd like to try Manic Panic's Hot Hot Pink next.

Hope you share your results, ZenGwen!

katienoonan
October 11th, 2011, 06:05 PM
I thought you were married to an African American gentleman? Sorry, it's just this recent post (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1801577&postcount=9) was rather memorable.

Does he bleach or are there other definitions for "n----r" I'm not aware of?

/hijack

I love everyone's colors! My under-layers are pink, though I did not have to (and chose not to) bleach, being blondish to begin with. I'd like to try Manic Panic's Hot Hot Pink next.

Hope you share your results, ZenGwen!

I wonder too...... :hmm:

justgreen
October 11th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Me three.....

pgw
October 12th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Four . . .

Áine
October 12th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Five.

Do you have have an Amazing Technicolor Dream Husband (I always wanted one of those), or is he sporting a distinguished platinum toupee these days?

MrsGuther
October 12th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Oh how I wish I was bold and brave enough to try a cool color in my hair! I have seen some friends lately that have had beautiful purple and pink in their hair. It's so pretty! I'm sure the blue would look awesome on you! I would love to see pictures!

pennyroyal
October 12th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Five.

Do you have have an Amazing Technicolor Dream Husband (I always wanted one of those), or is he sporting a distinguished platinum toupee these days?
haha. :p

I wanna kno too so count me as #6.

TitaniaOfFairys
October 12th, 2011, 04:14 PM
I love blue hair! :D I used to have blue streaks in my hair a few years ago. I loved it, but had to bleach the strands as my hair is dark, and the bleach totally ruined my hair (but it's another story).
I used Special Effects, but it faded very fast. Manic Panic may be better.

I'm with those who say you can try it without the bleach first, you may love it, and it won't damage your hair.

Aimskylove
October 12th, 2011, 04:19 PM
I absolutely LOVE bright colors on hair! :) I wish so much I could do teal in my hair but it just wont take to my black hair and bleaching is too harmful! Looks like a clip on is all I can do :(

missdelarocha
October 12th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Amplified Manic Panic works really well! But the hair I use it on is bleached, I leave it on for a few hours at least, I used to sleep with it on, the longer the better!

missdelarocha
October 12th, 2011, 07:48 PM
I absolutely LOVE bright colors on hair! :) I wish so much I could do teal in my hair but it just wont take to my black hair and bleaching is too harmful! Looks like a clip on is all I can do :(

Clip on's are amazing! Especially if the rest of your hair is lovely and healthy :].

Islandgrrl
October 12th, 2011, 08:03 PM
# Seven....

McFearless
October 12th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Guess I'm eight.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2mq0vht.gif

Aimskylove
October 13th, 2011, 12:24 AM
Clip on's are amazing! Especially if the rest of your hair is lovely and healthy :].

I agree but I fear that im going to love it so much that I will want to actually do it! lol. For now I shall satisfy my hunger for teal hair with clip ons. :sigh: I love looking at photos with cool hair colors :)

missdelarocha
October 17th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I agree but I fear that im going to love it so much that I will want to actually do it! lol. For now I shall satisfy my hunger for teal hair with clip ons. :sigh: I love looking at photos with cool hair colors :)

Haha ditto! It doesn't make a difference really, I'd say the advantage of clip ins is not having to dye the regrowth or freshen the colour! Though, obviously, I went the bleaching my actual hair route, but it's the fringe.

LaceyNg
October 18th, 2011, 07:18 PM
*waits for pics of what it sure to be awesome blue hair* :)

pennyroyal
October 25th, 2011, 04:55 PM
*waits for pics of what it sure to be awesome blue hair* :)
me too!!! :p

MandyBeth
October 29th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Sorry, just realized what the count was. DH is 1/512 black. He is as white as I am, he just has 4c hair that he wears in locs. To some nasty groups in our state, the 4c and locs makes him black, so thus they use racial slurs towards him.

clichepithet
October 30th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Sorry, just realized what the count was. DH is 1/512 black. He is as white as I am, he just has 4c hair that he wears in locs. To some nasty groups in our state, the 4c and locs makes him black, so thus they use racial slurs towards him.

I didn't realize how well locs made the natural texture of your hair stand out. There must be some pretty ignorant people in your area, to label someone with a racial slur that isn't even racially accurate based solely upon hairstyle. How unfortunate.

Amber_Maiden
October 30th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Where are the pics???? :)

slz
October 30th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Where are the pics???? :)
:D that's what I was thinking, too - "great the thread is up must be the pics !" >>> I am disappoint :(.

LaceyNg
December 8th, 2011, 04:31 PM
wheres this blue hair at?!?! ;)

kettle
December 8th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Feel like I'm being mean by bumping this thread and not being the OP with pics! :) I'll be keeping an eye out too! I can add my own for now, from my green phase (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7905).
Very much hope you like your blue hair, OP - I'll bet it looks amazing. Brightly coloured long hair is fun. I'd do mine again if my job allowed it!

RapunzelKat
December 8th, 2011, 11:42 PM
Feel like I'm being mean by bumping this thread and not being the OP with pics! :) I'll be keeping an eye out too! I can add my own for now, from my green phase (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7905).
Very much hope you like your blue hair, OP - I'll bet it looks amazing. Brightly coloured long hair is fun. I'd do mine again if my job allowed it!

Your green hair pix are awesome! :D I would also love to do a bright color one of these days... Purple is what I would go for. But I don't think it would fly at my job either, sadly... Some day :)

In the meantime, hoping there will be pix of the blue hair soon! :cheese:

Toadstool
December 9th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Congratulations on your graduation and new job!
Do test the blue first. I put a bright blue on my orangish ends and it turned green. I didn't mind at all, but it might be a shock if you hadn't planned it!