PDA

View Full Version : Hair advice for wild sleepers?

StillAHulaGirl
July 3rd, 2008, 08:32 PM
I have poker straight BSL hair, fine/medium, and of normal thickness.

How would you suggest I wear it to sleep? I've read about silk pillowcases and will invest in one in the near future - my sheets are 800 thread count, so that'll have to do for now. The problem is that I must be practicing yoga in my dreams - I will wake up in the darn-dest positions. I have tried staying on my back or side with my hair draped over the back of my pillow. That was to no avail. I don't like putting my hair in a bun at night because it tends to give me headaches in the morning.

Any suggestions?? I'm getting a little discouraged by the morning frizzball.

dontcallmejessi
July 3rd, 2008, 08:45 PM
I have started wearing a hair bonnet type thing. It is made of cloth that is sheer like a hear net so I can sleep in damp hair and wake up with dry friz free hair. It is the kind of hair thing ment for use with rollers.

Curlsgirl
July 3rd, 2008, 09:06 PM
I have a very tender scalp too. Have you tried piling your hair very loosely on top in a sort of cinnabun with little claw clips securing it? I find I have no headaches like this and it holds very well all night. I use about 4 of the medium sized ones, keeps it from tangling and out of the way. You might also try braiding over one shoulder or a satin cap.

jojo
July 3rd, 2008, 11:03 PM
Oh I am the queen of tossing about in bed, my hair resembles a childs with a fuzz ball, cotton candy look alike most mornings.

Braids work best for me, but 9 times out of ten the braid is fuzzed up too.

Anxiously awaiting replies on this one.

A thought we could always learn to sleep standing up!

BlackfootHair
July 3rd, 2008, 11:08 PM
If I use lavendar perfume before bed I conk out and don't move the whole night.

Morag
July 3rd, 2008, 11:20 PM
For right now, I comb mine up to the top of my head and put it all on one sponge roller. This won't work much longer because I'm getting too much hair, but I can go to two or three rollers as long as they're still on the top of my head. This way my hair doesn't tangle, I don't get headaches and I don't have trouble sleeping.

The silk pillowcases really do help, too.

missmanytoes
July 4th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Try a bonnet. I got mine from http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SPARTAN-STAY-ON-SATIN-POCKET-BONNET-3999-COLOR_W0QQitemZ320237056933QQihZ011QQcategoryZ3005 QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262 But if color is important to you, email this seller BEFORE you buy. I ordered 4 and only 2 were the right color. On the plus side, shipping was quite fast and because of the shipping policy with this seller my 4 bonnets came out to around $4 each. I've discovered that you do have to wear the bonnet like the model in the picture does, i.e. across your forehead. If you try to tie it off so that it is across the top of your head, it'll slip off in the night.

shellblue1
July 4th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Oh I am the queen of tossing about in bed, my hair resembles a childs with a fuzz ball, cotton candy look alike most mornings.

Me too! I usually wear my hair down to sleep, but sometimes when I get up for the day I run my hands down my length and extra shed hair comes off! Unnecessary shedding!

I really think I might invest in one of those hair bonnets...

sowhat
July 4th, 2008, 12:48 AM
I'm wondering about this as well.

I have so many stresses that I can't sleep more than 3 or 4 hours a night(surprising when I'm on the intarweb at 2:45 in the morning...) and they aren't easy hours either. My hair is all knotty when I get up even though it is all neat when I go to bed.

About the silk pillowcases, who makes them? Can I get them at a department store like Macy's?

Riot Crrl
July 4th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Yeah, a Macy's should have silk pillowcases, and a Target or WalMart should have them even cheaper.

I don't like having my face on them. It gets too sweaty and gross. I want a cap, but I can't seem to find one that is silk and not just polyester satin. I thought about making one but my sewing skills leave something to be desired.

velvetcat
July 4th, 2008, 01:28 AM
I braid, and use a scrunchi on the end. The scrunchi is gentle, but has weight to it, so when I flip my hair over my pillow, it's more likely to stay there. I move around a great deal too, and the braid is fuzzy in the morning (lots of new growth in there) but it's still less tangled in the morning than if I sleep with it out...which I do that too....

jeno
July 4th, 2008, 01:58 AM
Silk pillow cases are SOOOOOOOOOOO nice! But you must make sure they are 100% silk and nothing else. Sometimes you can find "satin" but it can be made of polyester and that's horrible to sleep on, warm and static.
I don't have very long hair, but I find it easiest to sleep in two braids or a braid that starts high up on my head.

manderly
July 4th, 2008, 02:56 AM
I boogie-woogie in my sleep.

I use a cheap "satin" sleep cap (goody or something) along with a loose scrunchy bun on top my head. I usually wake up in the middle of the night to find my cap trying to escape ;)

jel
July 4th, 2008, 03:24 AM
I mostly braid my hair for sleeping, French braid holding the hair most securely. Although it is sometimes fuzzy in the morning, it's still much better than the tangling I would get from sleeping with it loose regularly!

Pierre
July 4th, 2008, 04:45 AM
Usually I wear a Buff; now my hair is all wrapped up in Saran Wrap because I'm hennaing. I also have it in two Dutch braids.

StillAHulaGirl
July 4th, 2008, 06:07 AM
I have a very tender scalp too. Have you tried piling your hair very loosely on top in a sort of cinnabun with little claw clips securing it? I find I have no headaches like this and it holds very well all night. I use about 4 of the medium sized ones, keeps it from tangling and out of the way. You might also try braiding over one shoulder or a satin cap.
I haven't tried clippies yet. Do you ever break any?

Beautiful color btw. :)

StillAHulaGirl
July 4th, 2008, 06:10 AM

I would definatly try the standing up part! lol. My cat wouldn't have her bed of hair to sleep in anymore though. :D great suggestion :D

StillAHulaGirl
July 4th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Try a bonnet. I got mine from http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SPARTAN-STAY-ON-SATIN-POCKET-BONNET-3999-COLOR_W0QQitemZ320237056933QQihZ011QQcategoryZ3005 QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262 But if color is important to you, email this seller BEFORE you buy. I ordered 4 and only 2 were the right color. On the plus side, shipping was quite fast and because of the shipping policy with this seller my 4 bonnets came out to around $4 each. I've discovered that you do have to wear the bonnet like the model in the picture does, i.e. across your forehead. If you try to tie it off so that it is across the top of your head, it'll slip off in the night.
wow, this is great! Thank you for the link! I might could wear one of these in my jeep with the top is down! :)

Curlsgirl
July 4th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I haven't tried clippies yet. Do you ever break any?

Beautiful color btw. :)

Actually no I haven't broken any of those I don't believe. The size I get are just perfect for this. I get the ones by Goody I think, they have 4 clear, 4 black and 4 brown in the pack for like $3 at Walmart. It might be Scunci not sure. Anyway, they hold amazingly well and to me are much more comfy than a scrunchy for not pulling on my scalp.

Oh and thanks for the compliment!!! :love:

danacc
July 5th, 2008, 09:47 AM
I'm wondering about this as well.

I have so many stresses that I can't sleep more than 3 or 4 hours a night(surprising when I'm on the intarweb at 2:45 in the morning...) and they aren't easy hours either. My hair is all knotty when I get up even though it is all neat when I go to bed.

About the silk pillowcases, who makes them? Can I get them at a department store like Macy's?

You should be able to find them in department stores. As previously pointed out, make sure you get 100% silk which is a natural, breathable fabric that feels wonderful. Also, silks come in different "weights", and a heavier weight will last longer. Look for "charmeuse" weight if it's labeled. You can also get a plain off-white ones on-line here: http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1384272-AA.shtml?lnav=clothing.html

(Note: I am in no way associated with the company in the on-line link other than being a happy customer.)

crebbsgirl
July 5th, 2008, 09:52 AM
I use a satin sleep cap I bought at Walmart for about 4$. I wake up frizz free and unmessed! I just sort of coil my hair and put the bonnet on. I found it in the hair care aisle. :) Good luck!

dontcallmejessi
July 5th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Just a warning to do not purchase from Dharma trading. I purchased from them and the very next day began a long fight to get tons of bogus charges off my credit card. :bigeyes: They are still not all cleared off yet. :rant: I never use this card except when I purchased there. So yes it happened from that. :disgust: So be careful when shopping online with your credit card.

StillAHulaGirl
July 5th, 2008, 08:50 PM
A big thank you to all!! You guys are so helpful! *mwa* :)

Cinnamon.locks
July 6th, 2008, 01:05 AM
I'm a very wild sleeper, have been trying all i can from wearing hair down and wet to braided, bunned on top......best for me is a braid, but i've been noticing some breakage at the top/crown of my head and sides. even tried leaving condish in and braiding, what a mess that was! tried the bonnets and mesh; woke up with them on the floor. silk pillow case ends up off the pillow for me. so not sure what to recommend, i guess simply try and test all ways and see which one works best for you. HTH.

justme
July 6th, 2008, 06:01 AM
I want a cap, but I can't seem to find one that is silk and not just polyester satin. I thought about making one but my sewing skills leave something to be desired.

I use a silk sleep bonnet (http://www.tenderheaded.com/sislbo.html) from tenderheaded.com and I love it! There's plenty of room for my thigh length hair. The only problem I had was that the elastic wore out very quickly so I had to remove it and put in new elastic which was easily done by hand. I've had two that I rotate for about two years with no signs of wear to the silk, so the price isn't too bad. For the benefits, I would have paid double or more.

Since using a silk sleeping cap, I have far fewer tangles and split ends than I used to and my hair is much less dry. I tried satin pillowcases, but couldn't breathe on them and they didn't actually do much for my hair because I'm always turning around and over all night.

n3m3sis42
July 6th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Just a warning to do not purchase from Dharma trading. I purchased from them and the very next day began a long fight to get tons of bogus charges off my credit card. :bigeyes: They are still not all cleared off yet. :rant: I never use this card except when I purchased there. So yes it happened from that. :disgust: So be careful when shopping online with your credit card.

Wow... this is interesting, because I purchased a silk pillowcase from Dharma Trading Company about a month ago, and then someone spent over $2000 in bogus purchases on my check card last week. I have used this check card *many* other places, so I have no proof that it's due to using it at Dharma Trading, but this has never happened to me before now. I thought it was worth mentioning in light of your post.