PDA

View Full Version : How long did it take you to learn how to do a fishtail braid?

Shona
October 9th, 2011, 05:00 AM
I have spent a long time trying to learn how to do a fishtail braid. I've watched countless youtube videos! I just can't seem to get it.... maybe my brain just doesnt want to learn fishtail braiding. So i was wondering.... can you do it? If so how long did it take for you to learn?

KatjicaMjau
October 9th, 2011, 05:29 AM
I can do it :)
The first time I've done it, it was little bit weird but than I tried several times and now it cames out pretty good :D

The point is that you must divide your hair on 2 strands. Than you take from the first stran a small section of hair and bring it over to the other strand. And you do the same thing on the other side.

http://6585355412506825727-a-1802744773732722657-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/habioku/hairstyles/braiding-theory/fishbonetut.jpg?attachauth=ANoY7cpWg4alm31br4Jjul7 GAe--cACzXvazq2oldS1hNkvii7cGMaXzSPu1j2d7NXdF5ulffrkcIX hZ0XswWfFOrszQRtFqTZlv8UVuNMyPWyrpG-j26anrhqJ5Xtyxa_okfZ3j0D68q94luRhm-gQn4nRIU4DNPbvUhH7MA1cOkooa-3phPJi7hR7PDjuv7aVhm6cKjLrW2Vqt8MMR5tli-EurwcSXBHY9h5Qc3sOoSw0kglSkXmU%3D&attredirects=0
here is one link that helped me to get it :rolling:

arielįgua
October 9th, 2011, 05:50 AM
I can't do it too!
It always turns out like rubbish.
I can't even make one normal braid.
I also realized, that my hair is still a little bit short (shoulder going to armpit) to do that to myself. I would have to ask someone else to do it for me, but no one will. :'( *cries*

Rowan1980
October 9th, 2011, 06:51 AM
I can easily do it to my DW's hair, but I've yet to do one in my own hair AND make it look even. I imagine it will come with practice. :)

morrigan*
October 9th, 2011, 07:48 AM
I can do it on someone else head, but if i do it on looks weird. Need to practice.

Madora
October 9th, 2011, 09:18 AM
It took about 3 days. Getting the small sections just right was the hardest part. Just keep practicing.

mrs_coffee
October 9th, 2011, 09:39 AM
It takes some practice is all. It's one of the easier braids to master, IMO. Getting the tiny sections uniform and keeping it pulled tight enough are the main challenges for me.

Oksana
October 9th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Literally took me minutes but i find most braiding very easy :) Just remember practice makes perfect!

missoj
October 9th, 2011, 09:50 AM
I got it right the first time I tried. A tip is to tie your hair with an elastic, do the braid and when you're done, cut the elastic.

Dyefree
October 9th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Within minutes... But a French braid..... :o I'm still trying 20 years on!!!!

Starlight1986
October 9th, 2011, 10:36 AM
I watched a very nice German tutorial clip and that helped me to get it right the first time I tried.

Masara
October 9th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I've just managed it!!
I've been trying since I joined LHC, but either they look wierd or they look like English braids.

Last week dd10 came home with a beautiful fishtail braid that her friend's mother had done. I took it apart slowly and managed to see what I've been doing wrong.

Basically, I was making two mistakes. I was taking too much hair each time, I really need to take a tiny amount. And I was twisting my hair as I went in the same way I would when I do a normal braid. I have to make sure I keep the whole thing flat.
In a way it's not really braiding, it's more like wrapping tiny strands around.

celebriangel
October 9th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I couldn't do this at all...until I saw a video on a french fishtail braid. I managed that right off in about 20 minutes. No idea why. I think I've done so many normal french braids that my hands just knew what to do.

morrigan*
October 9th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Update, I did it an hour ago. I'm so happy :D.

isabelx
October 9th, 2011, 01:10 PM
I love fishtail braids, I remember just before I left high school they were a massive craze. Unfortunately with my length they're just not possible to do :( They will definitely be one of the first styles I try out once I've gained a bit more length!

spidermom
October 9th, 2011, 01:13 PM
I got it right away, although it took practice to end up with a neat result.

nobeltonya
October 9th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Not too long to learn, but to do one neatly, especially from behind, took a few tries. I'm still a little awkward when I have to bring it to the front since I can't reach it. :P Same with a 4-strand braid: it's neat if I do it on the side, but in the back it sucks right in the middle, and the beginning and ends are relatively neat.

Shona
October 9th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Within minutes... But a French braid..... :o I'm still trying 20 years on!!!!

Haha! our brains must work differently, I find the french braid easy as pie. good to know that some other people just don't get certain braids. Makes me feel a tad better haha!

SoetSout
October 9th, 2011, 05:02 PM
i just cant braid my hair, ok i am fairly new to long hair styles. But still, its harder then what i had initially expected.

Yozhik
October 9th, 2011, 05:16 PM
I found herringbones pretty easy to manage once I understood the concept, although I agree it's less like braiding than . . . something else.
The problem for me is to get them not to twist, since they're a lot flatter than my usual braids! >.<

Lostsoule77
October 9th, 2011, 11:06 PM
I was able to do it the first time I read directions that I could understand. The first time I looked on a website they just overcomplicated it. I still have difficulty making it look really nice and not like a regular english braid though. I just want it done quickly so I take chunks that are too big. If I ever get more patience with hair styles I may be able to do it properly. :)

swords & roses
October 10th, 2011, 12:33 AM
When I do a herringbone braid (which is rarely, because it takes too darn long, lol!), I find it looks better to take the tiny section from the BACK of the half of hair your working with rather than from the outside, to get it to look more purposefully wrapped around.

And I can't do a French braid to save my life! I know the concept, but I can't get it to stay tight to my scalp. No other braid that I've tried gives me problems. We've each got our own thing! :)

oktobergoud
October 10th, 2011, 03:20 AM
Uhm 2 minutes I think? It's really easy!

Alaia
October 10th, 2011, 04:43 AM
I still can't.

I know exactly how to do it, because I've done it on other people, but I just can't do it on myself.

I've been trying pretty much since I joined this forum so... over 5 years?

I do not have the same problem with other braids, though, I'm not brave enough to try the more complicated 4 or 5 strand ones yet.

Tealpuffin
October 10th, 2011, 04:29 PM
My hair is only between shoulder length and APL so I find it hard to do any form of braid on my hair (even French plats) but my besties has waist length hair which I always play with :D it took a long time but I managed to conquer it. I think the best tip is to take the pieces of hair from behind the strands :) x

bbvt
October 10th, 2011, 05:27 PM
I got it right the first time I tried. A tip is to tie your hair with an elastic, do the braid and when you're done, cut the elastic.

This is really helpful when I first learned how to do a fishtail braid, it helps keep the strands separated. When I did it the first time without the elastic, it just wouldn't make the defined bumps of the fishtail braid properly.

invisiblebabe
October 10th, 2011, 05:29 PM
I remember learning how to do a fishtail braid on my dolls when I was in elementary school :)

thelittlestdoc
October 11th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Mine were serviceable but not terribly pretty after four or five attempts. It took me a month or two before I really liked how my fishtail braids looked :D

Exodus
October 11th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Theoretically I can do it. Was very easy to learn when I found the right instructions. Have tried it too. I'm just too lazy ever to do anything else than a 3-strand English braid :P

et--cetera
October 11th, 2011, 10:09 AM
It's still really hard for me to do them on my own hair and I don't feel like my hair is long enough to do the style justice. But I love doing them on friends!

Mrspuddinhead
October 11th, 2011, 11:49 AM
This is actually my favorite braid. I had it pretty much down pat the 1st time I tried it. When I was learning to do the fishtail I made a side pony tail, left side. That way I could see what I was doing. So maybe you could give that a try and see if that helps.

Nera
October 11th, 2011, 11:56 AM
I think it took me a minute, once you know what you're supposed to do it's quite easy actually!

Regan
October 11th, 2011, 12:58 PM
For me, fishtail braid was one of those things I didn't get, until one moment it just kinda happened. keep watching videos and keep practicing. You'll get it eventually.