PDA

View Full Version : I have a heart-shaped face....but the WRONG hairstyle!

Rini
October 9th, 2011, 02:42 AM
...well according to just about every internet authority out there! My face is very heart shaped (ie narrow pointed chin, wider cheekbones and forehead). I even have a widow's peak so my face looks JUST like a heart!

I went to the optometrist to have my eyes tested last week and it turns out I need glasses. The lady who was helping me choose pointed out my obvious face shape and suggested suitable frames for me. All good....but it got me to thinking about my hair style and whether I've been wearing an unflattering style all these years. Cue Google search (as you do) :google: and I find the general consensus for heart shaped faces is not to wear the hair too long and to have a side swept fringe. Well, I have long hair (longer than the recommended 3 or 4 inches below my chin anyway) and no fringe at all. It seems my hair might not be doing my face any favours :rolleyes: Apparently it's all about visual balance and I'm....err....imbalanced!

Does anybody else take their face shape into account when thinking about their hair? What is your face shape and does your hair suit it?

bunzfan
October 9th, 2011, 02:46 AM
Like you apparently i shouldn't have long hair either i have a long thin face i try to soften the look with a fringe, my mum still thinks i should cut it into a bob:eek:

I say we do what makes us happy.

milagro
October 9th, 2011, 02:57 AM
The heart shape is beautiful and youthful, why do anything with it? Just go with what you have, there are no rule.
My face is something between oval and round shape, different styles make it look differently and that's the fun of it :)

Athena's Owl
October 9th, 2011, 03:32 AM
heart shape is good! and hairstyle advice generally doesn't take very long hair into account.

I have a diamond shaped face, and hairstyle advice says I should wear a flip. I had one for a while and it was really cute but so much work.

Faepirate
October 9th, 2011, 03:34 AM
Pssh. Have whatever hairstyle you want! Stuff the general consensus ;D The internet has an opinion on EVERYTHING. Doesn't mean it's right. Don't take so-called beauty advice too seriously. It's not really worth worrying about, IMO. :]

I don't take my face shape into account with my hair, btw. I just sort of let my hair do whatever it naturally wants to do. Low maintenance FTW.

pepperminttea
October 9th, 2011, 04:18 AM
I don't care about face shape, either. I just have my hair how I like it. :D

Issmene
October 9th, 2011, 04:22 AM
I have a (long) heart-shaped face too, I do have bangs (straight bangs), because otherwise my face looks really bare (and I like them), but I don't thinks it's necessary to make my chin look less small or something. I like the form/shape of a heart :)

katienoonan
October 9th, 2011, 04:24 AM
I don't really take my face shape into account... not according to article I read anyway. I do, however, know what suits me. I had a fringe for most of my childhood and it doesn't suit me atall... i've never had one since!

Yosha
October 9th, 2011, 05:19 AM
Doesn't Christina Ricci have a heart shaped face too? I think she sometimes even emphasizes the shape of her face, and I like that. I would actually like to see her with 2 French/Dutch braids to see the effect on the shape of her face, it will bring out the shape even more. There's pictures of her with bangs too and they do look good on her, but she doesn't need them. So if the shape of her face is like yours, you can have a look at her to see what the effect will be like on your face.

Maverick494
October 9th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Actress Cote de Pablo has a heart shaped face (and a very obvious widow's peek) and she looks great with long hair without fringe.

to illustrate:
http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/7522/13jr6.th.jpg (http://img376.imageshack.us/i/13jr6.jpg/)

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/5082/cotetvg.th.jpg (http://img512.imageshack.us/i/cotetvg.jpg/)

Maverick494
October 9th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Actress Cote de Pablo has a heart shaped face (and a very obvious widow's peek) and she looks great with long hair without fringe.

to illustrate:
http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/7522/13jr6.th.jpg (http://img376.imageshack.us/i/13jr6.jpg/)

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/5082/cotetvg.th.jpg (http://img512.imageshack.us/i/cotetvg.jpg/)

luthein
October 9th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Amy Lee Hartzler has a heart-shaped/round face and wears her hair long without bangs. It looks great. Emphasize that heart-shaped face. It's a beautiful face shape. :)

kdaniels8811
October 9th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Rini - you have a beautiful face and the long hair just emphasises it. The heck with the others, do you you like.

Aveyronnaise
October 9th, 2011, 08:13 AM
I really wonder about hair face shape advice , it seems to say on all of them to avoid long hair. >eyeroll< I even looked at this slide show for people with oval face shapes, which I have. Well about half of them didn't have anything like an oval face shape. Then yes they said no super long hair (BSL) but they said that for every face shape.
I'm not taking their advice.

BunnyBee
October 9th, 2011, 08:59 AM

to illustrate:

I love her! <3

I don't care about face shape, i will have my hair any way i like thankyouverymuch XD

embee
October 9th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Why would "they" want to you use fringe or side-swept bangs? To hide the widow's peak?

Because you're *supposed* to have an oval shape face and anything you can do to get there is ok?

Ick. I hate fashion pronouncements. Rini, every pic I've seen of you is just lovely! Keep on being what you are. :)

jaine
October 9th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Nicole Kidman is another actress who has a heart-shaped face and looks great with long hair and no bangs.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_JG_Sun5Wq3Q/TKEa6s9e_UI/AAAAAAAAAME/ydE05eH0CbU/s320/nicole-kidman1.jpg

I think a heart-shaped face is pretty ... why hide it with bangs?

Cimorene
October 9th, 2011, 10:10 AM
What I wouldn't give for a heart-shaped face! They're so pretty! I have a big ol' round face instead. Which, oddly enough, is one of the face shapes where long hair is supposed to be flattering. :shrug:

Personally, I think long hair is suitable for every face shape... :D

Caldonia Sun
October 9th, 2011, 10:28 AM
I really wonder about hair face shape advice , it seems to say on all of them to avoid long hair. >eyeroll< I even looked at this slide show for people with oval face shapes, which I have. Well about half of them didn't have anything like an oval face shape. Then yes they said no super long hair (BSL) but they said that for every face shape.
I'm not taking their advice.

Agreed. Long hair is never the preferred look for anyone. It's all about making women discontented with themselves so they will spend $$$. Wear it how you like it.

Spacescape
October 9th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I've always considered the "face shape/hair standards" to be general advice for the people who don't know what looks good on them--sort of a jumping-off point, if you will. Think about it--there are what, four or five different categories, to fit all the different heads in the world into? The face shape/hair standards aren't going to be very accurate for anyone. I think they only make sense if you look at them as a starting point for people who are experimenting with their look to find what works best for them.

In other words, you know your face better than a bunch of fashion writers on the internet. Do what you think looks best :)

longhairedwolf
October 9th, 2011, 10:43 AM
I have a pear shaped face. The advice is to have lots of volume on top, and keep the hair short. For the longest while that's exactly what I did. Now I've decided that I want longer hair, and to heck with the advice! I'll grow my hair, and as long as I'm happy with how I look, I won't bother with anonymous "advice" from the Internet.

Jing
October 9th, 2011, 11:55 AM
I can't figure out what shape my face is to begin with no matter how hard I try. The examples given never look anything like me.

Rocket22
October 9th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Well I've seen your pictures and I don't know what hairstyle you are "supposed" to have but I think you look fabulous with what you have. I have a longish I guess shaped face and I'm so not supposed to have long hair? Oh well gonna do it anyways.

Kathie
October 9th, 2011, 12:34 PM
I have a small thin face- so I always have some sort of face-framing layers to create some width

Sunshineliz
October 9th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Your hair is beautiful Rini and your face is lovely! I think your hair goes with it very well.

DD5 has a heart-shaped face (well actually triangle because she doesn't have the widow's peak) and I think long, wavy/wurly hair looks lovely on her too. If worried about balance, I honestly think the full-looking curls around the chin balance out the forehead. Bangs of any kind would be hard on her as she has a huge cowlick in front, just like me.:)

I have a round face and I think about it sometimes with my hair, but it's been more often trial-and-error. I know fullness at the sides looks terrible. Fullness on top looks great. Parting on the side looks better. Curls and waves look best kept below the chin, which is more what my hair wants to do anyway, so I guess that works out.:) I looked it up on the internet before and most agreed with what I'd come up with on my own anyway. But I don't care for the ones that try to tell me I might look good in a pixie--I'm not going there!

Slinks
October 9th, 2011, 04:17 PM
http://www.google.com.au/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1152&bih=577&q=reese+witherspoon+hair&gbv=2&oq=reece+wit&aq=1s&aqi=g-s10&aql=&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=1468l4562l0l8828l9l9l0l0l0l0l406l3375l3-8.1l9l0#hl=en&gbv=2&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=celebs+with+heart+shaped+faces&oq=celebs+with+heart+&aq=0&aqi=g1&aql=&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=58797l65125l0l67610l18l18l0l3l3l1l485l4330l 2-4.5.3l12l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=4f805fac3b37cf66&biw=1152&bih=538

I hope this link works !! it looks rather LONG lol I googled images - celebs with heart shaped faces

my face is long actually my face is square but my nose is long so my long hair makes my face look very long I have to have bangs and side bits (kind of like himes but not blunt, more like an arc of a fringe ..

oh well that link didn't turn out as it looked when I copied and pasted .. good !! :-)

Slinks
October 9th, 2011, 04:22 PM
I can't figure out what shape my face is to begin with no matter how hard I try. The examples given never look anything like me.

maybe you want to check this out ??

http://becauseilive.hubpages.com/hub/How_to_Find_the_Right_Hairstyle_for_Your_Face_Shap e

xoxophelia
October 9th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Many of the hairstyle suggestions based on face shape are made to hide your face shape or make it appear more oval. I think this is sort of assuming there is one ideal.

Having a defined bone structure that makes you original instead of the accepted barbie face shape is stunning in my opinion. A lot of those websites would have you believe that if you have a defined jaw line you must hide it. But, things like that are what make us beautiful!

I think it is more important to take the character of the hair in mind. For example, if your face shape says you should have bangs, you might instead consider if that would work as well with curly hair. Or in my case, since I have a lot of volume short hair is more work because I don't have the hair naturally getting weighed down.

Kristin
October 9th, 2011, 05:34 PM
I have a heart-shaped face and I'm not going to lie: I observe the face-shape rules for hair. But I only observe the rules because I've found that they work for me. I like bangs and long layers around my face. That said, I think you should wear your hair however you like it. :)

ktani
October 9th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Rini, I just went through your pictures. There is one where you have short hair with a fringe. I personally like you better with long hair and no fringe. I think you look beautiful.

There are no hard and fast rules for the face shape hairstyle recommendations. They can be helpful but they are just guidelines.

AlannaMaria
October 9th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I just looked at your album and your hair with your face shape is completely beautiful!

I also have a heart-shaped face and I've learned not to bother anymore with what's supposed to look right with your face shape. As long as you're happy and confident, it doesn't matter.

smilinjenn71
October 9th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Yes, I do! I have a round face and when I have the wrong style I don't like how I look. Everyone is different on that I guess......

Demetrue
October 9th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Rini - You have the most gorgeous face - Please don't buy into that "if this is your face shape, you can't have hair" beauty advice! You and your hair look amazing - do not doubt your beautiful long hair!!

allnight avenue
October 9th, 2011, 11:26 PM
I think a lot of that face-shape stuff is mumbo-jumbo. Just because someone has a heart-shaped or "long" or "square" face doesn't mean that they're not going to look fantastic with waist-length gorgeous hair. That's just silly.

Nocturnal
October 9th, 2011, 11:51 PM
I take face shape into account. Unfortunately, in those generic suggestions they don't give much advice on the updos, but there are ways you part, pin or braid hair that look flattering or unflattering depending on the face shapes.

CariadA
October 9th, 2011, 11:55 PM
I have a heart shaped face and I think bangs/fringe and shorter hair looks awful on me. I like my face shape though. Many of those rules are for those that want to "correct" their face shape to make it look more neutral and oval.

Chetanlaiho
October 10th, 2011, 05:39 AM
I have tried and tried to 'classify' my face shape but I can't figure it out xD Now I'm thinking maybe diamond, but the widest part is at the top of my cheekbones rather than at my eyes xD Plus it's also kind of square-ish at the forehead :shrug:

I have no idea if my hairstyle 'matches' it but I'm figuring out what looks good with it or not ;)

Delila
October 10th, 2011, 08:35 AM
I don't really understand the idea that everyone 'should' look a certain way.

It implies that there's one standard of what's attractive, and we all know that's not even remotely true.

Rini, you're GORGEOUS!! You and your hair, in whatever style.

Wear what you like.

For most of my life, I accepted the stylist's edicts that I 'must' have bangs, that my hair type 'just won't grow long' and wore my dutiful little pixies and cropped hairstyles. Sigh. Didn't care for the look, hated the nuisance of constant maintenance. (bangs need washing!)

I'm bang free, and glad of it.

Jing
October 10th, 2011, 09:14 AM
maybe you want to check this out ??

http://becauseilive.hubpages.com/hub/How_to_Find_the_Right_Hairstyle_for_Your_Face_Shap e

I still have no idea. :rolleyes: I might be oval. Or heart-shaped. Or round.

torrilin
October 10th, 2011, 12:32 PM
I have a heart shaped face and I think bangs/fringe and shorter hair looks awful on me. I like my face shape though. Many of those rules are for those that want to "correct" their face shape to make it look more neutral and oval.

Agreed... and oval is not always the ideal shape.

In 1910s and 1920s advertisements, a lot of the time the idealized woman used to sell a product is drawn as blonde, has somewhat curly hair worn up and back from her face, and a very round childlike face. Often her lips are quite pink and her complexion is ivory with a rosy blush. In a 1940s ad, she'll often have a much squarer face and sterner features. IME, on a real person round and square faces can look quite similar... so while the ads might seem to show wildly different people, when you look at photographs often it turns out they aren't at all.

Generally I look at the face shape recommendations to see what face shapes I like, and to get better at spotting what shape is in fashion. And maybe a bit to think about how cartoon or caricature images can highlight or minimize a trait.