PDA

View Full Version : well go ahead and bust my bubble

hendricks82
October 8th, 2011, 08:25 PM
So today I got my BSL hair into a rose bun!! Okay it was more of a rose "bud" but I was proud of it. It was even and lovely where it used to be kinda one sided because my hair was too short. I leave the house with my cute little bun all happy and proud of myself.

Fast forward... my patient's husband says, "Is you hair still as long as it is in that picture?" As he points to my badge. Yes I smile and note on my back where my hair falls. Then he pops my bubble... "Wow, how did you get it all up in such a tiny little bun." I know my hair is fine and thin... but dang I was really proud of my bun

:disgust:

MaryRose
October 8th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Wow, I would have been hurt. That just plain sucks that he couldn't keep his thoughts to himself. I bet your hair was pretty in your rose bun. I wish my hair was long enough to do one.

uptosomeone
October 8th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Hey, I think tiny buns are soo cute...I'm so happy I have them instead of big ones. I'm sure yours was too! :)

Cimorene
October 8th, 2011, 08:43 PM
I'm sure your rose bun was just lovely. Some people don't know art when they see it.

KwaveT
October 8th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Some people don't know when to keep their mouth shut. I am sure that your bun was nice.

Cassie 123
October 8th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Before LHC, I had no idea that big buns and thick braids were something that a person might want. :shrug: I'll bet he wasn't judging at all but was just momentarily surprised and curious. Anyway, that means that your hair must look nice and thick when you wear it down.

Juicematic
October 8th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Aww I'm sorry! Sometimes men don't know when to keep their mouths shut.

hendricks82
October 8th, 2011, 08:53 PM
I knew you ladies would understand!!

@Cassie 123 I never really thought of it that way :) My feelings were so hurt I just assumed he was being rude. He may have just been shocked that I could tie it all up so well... or that all that length could fit in one little ball.

I mean my hair isn't THAT long for goodness sakes. It is weird though, how your definition of long changes as your own hair grows :D

jaine
October 8th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Before LHC, I had no idea that big buns and thick braids were something that a person might want. :shrug:

Me too ...

LittleB
October 8th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Aw, bummer.
My husband (who is super sweet and wouldn't hurt a fly) can say things like that, too. They just don't understand some things that are SO meaningful to us!

Having enough to make a bun is so exciting! When my hair was longer, my husband used to make comments when I would put it up all the time. He thought if you have longer hair, it should be worn down all the time.

We just want our husbands to tell us we're gorgeous, enough said!

Slinks
October 8th, 2011, 09:00 PM
lol :-) be proud !! my hair is below waist and my buns are tiny too, I also had a bubble burst like you did .. "all that hair in that tiny little bun" lol :-)

luthein
October 8th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Before LHC, I had no idea that big buns and thick braids were something that a person might want. :shrug:

This exactly. Think of all the awesome hair bun-drop videos. It's amazing to see all that hair fall out of the bun!

MrsGuther
October 8th, 2011, 09:03 PM
So today I got my BSL hair into a rose bun!! Okay it was more of a rose "bud" but I was proud of it. It was even and lovely where it used to be kinda one sided because my hair was too short. I leave the house with my cute little bun all happy and proud of myself.

Fast forward... my patient's husband says, "Is you hair still as long as it is in that picture?" As he points to my badge. Yes I smile and note on my back where my hair falls. Then he pops my bubble... "Wow, how did you get it all up in such a tiny little bun." I know my hair is fine and thin... but dang I was really proud of my bun

:disgust:

:( "Booooo!!!" I say to people that make insensitive hair comments to people, never realizing how harsh it sounds! Sorry he said that to you.

PixxieStix
October 8th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Oh sweetie, I don't think he was trying to be mean, more he was probably truly amazed that somehow you managed to make your hair "look" smaller!

My FH explained something about the "way many guys think" when it comes to a people's hair : if they see long, pretty hair, they file away the thought "woman/man has lots of hair". They don't differentiate between fine,thick,thin,etc. Now, when they see said person where their previous "file" read "woman/man has lots of hair" and they then see said hair in a style (for example, your pretty rose bun!) that does not fit with their initial "mental file", they simply have a sort of physics quandary going on in their heads.

So you see, if anything, he was impressed with your mastery of physics and manipulation of the natural world, lol!

And you know what, I kind of envy you having thinner/finer hair, because that means you can do cute hair styles sooner than those of us who have thicker hair and have to wait for it to grow longer before we can do nice hair styles with it. :)

gthlvrmx
October 8th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Just you wait until you reach classic level and he asks again about the size of your bun. Just let it all fall ;) Watch and learn people, watch and learn.

Masara
October 9th, 2011, 01:14 AM
I've found that most people (particularly men, but not exclusively) have no idea about bun size versus hair length/thickness. When I put APL/BSL hair into anything slightly multibraided (I used to do my rose buns with two braids) pupils would go on about how much hair I had. Then, in the summer, I showed them my TB lenght hair and then quickly put it back up into a lazy wrap and their comment was "all that hair into that little bun!"

MasCat
October 9th, 2011, 02:06 AM
The first thing that comes into my mind is "well, this is a bun of holding" (yes, I play RPG)
And the second is "Well, I don't comment on the size of your package that way"

pepperminttea
October 9th, 2011, 04:22 AM
I've found that most people (particularly men, but not exclusively) have no idea about bun size versus hair length/thickness. When I put APL/BSL hair into anything slightly multibraided (I used to do my rose buns with two braids) pupils would go on about how much hair I had. Then, in the summer, I showed them my TB lenght hair and then quickly put it back up into a lazy wrap and their comment was "all that hair into that little bun!"

Agreed. I think he said it out of surprise and astonishment more than anything else.

And to be honest, I like small buns too. When you're on a long car journey and your bun against the headrest means you're constantly looking into the foot well to avoid a neck injury... be glad you have a tidier, more elegant bun than I do. :p

Lostsoule77
October 9th, 2011, 10:18 PM
I agree with the others. It doesn't sound like he was trying to insult you. Instead it sounds like he was amazed at what you were able to do. Take it as a compliment. :)

Soulina
October 9th, 2011, 11:55 PM
I dont think he tried to me mean. Maybe he didnt think what he said.

Cirafly24
October 10th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Oh sweetie, I don't think he was trying to be mean, more he was probably truly amazed that somehow you managed to make your hair "look" smaller!

My FH explained something about the "way many guys think" when it comes to a people's hair : if they see long, pretty hair, they file away the thought "woman/man has lots of hair". They don't differentiate between fine,thick,thin,etc. Now, when they see said person where their previous "file" read "woman/man has lots of hair" and they then see said hair in a style (for example, your pretty rose bun!) that does not fit with their initial "mental file", they simply have a sort of physics quandary going on in their heads.

So you see, if anything, he was impressed with your mastery of physics and manipulation of the natural world, lol!

I agree! When I went home for a visit earlier this year, my sister's boyfriend saw me with my hair down, and commented that I have "so much hair." The next day, he saw me with a nautilus bun, and he got all wide eyed and asked me if I cut my hair. He couldn't understand how I fit "all that hair" into that little bun lol. He didn't mean it in a rude way at all...he just couldn't understand how it was done. I have fine hair, and it compacts a LOT. That's probably how that man meant it when he said it to you, too.

SoetSout
October 10th, 2011, 02:46 AM
im gona be honest here, i would propably say the same thing.

i only started growing my hair 3 years ago, and i know nearly nothing regarding long hair/styles/oils/vitamins etc... and there are millions more out there like me. but back to the point, if i have to think BSL and what you refer to as a small bud. i would realy be surprised if it is a small bun.

so i would have said something similar most likely, without tryng to be burst your bubble.

but luckily i know now. ^^

Unicorn
October 14th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Really don't think he was being mean, just amazed at 'female magic'. I have very 'big hair', that I used to wear in two french braids. The first time a colleague saw my hair loose, his jaw dropped and he said, "where did all that come from?". This comment is about a confusion of physics rather than a comment (good or bad) on hair.

Unicorn

heidihug
October 14th, 2011, 11:00 AM
People have made that exact comment to me many, many times - but in the reverse. I have hair that's well past classic, but I wear it up nearly 99% of the time. When I wear it down (down as in a braid left down, I never wear my hair loose) someone invariably exclaims that "Your hair is so long, you'd never know it from the way you wear it every day!" or something similar. [shrugs] People in general simply have no idea about "long" hair, and how it might look put in an updo, and the reverse.

Eirelin
October 14th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Well, I have kind of said that to myself, too, when I put a lot of effort into making a nice, neat, pretty updo, and I just kind of end up looking like I don't even have any hair. It is amazing how much hair a bun can eat up.

That is probably why I don't really do many buns, since my hair is about 27" or so in length (I haven't checked in a couple of months) with layers, and it always seems to just magically disappear into most of the buns I can do.

YourEggcellency
October 14th, 2011, 11:17 AM
The first thing that comes into my mind is "well, this is a bun of holding" (yes, I play RPG)
And the second is "Well, I don't comment on the size of your package that way"

Hahahaha, I enjoyed both of these!

Nessie_
October 14th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Well, I for one think small buns are really pretty! I have very thick hair and sometimes it can get rather heavy if I put it in a bun, so small buns aren't all that bad :).

Yame
October 14th, 2011, 11:52 AM
People have made that exact comment to me many, many times - but in the reverse. I have hair that's well past classic, but I wear it up nearly 99% of the time. When I wear it down (down as in a braid left down, I never wear my hair loose) someone invariably exclaims that "Your hair is so long, you'd never know it from the way you wear it every day!" or something similar. [shrugs] People in general simply have no idea about "long" hair, and how it might look put in an updo, and the reverse.

Yup! If you don't have long hair and/or don't do updos, it's hard to tell length from hair that is all bunched up and hidden away!

AnnaJamila
October 14th, 2011, 12:11 PM
I'm sure it was lovely. He may have been complimenting your hair bundling skills and never thought it could be percieved insultingly. :)