PDA

View Full Version : Growing out my pixie!

LittleB
October 8th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Hey, everyone.
I'm new here, but unfortunately NOT new to growing out a pixie. I previously grew it out for 2 years (to APL), then in postpartum angst chopped it off to pixie length again.
My pixie is super cute but I am craving long hair, so off I go.
Any advice for me? I am currently oiling frequently (coconut, argan), sometimes CO washing, sometimes S/Cing.
My longest layer is almost to chin, but there are many shorter layers around eye length, etc. It's a hot mess right now.

kdaniels8811
October 8th, 2011, 04:48 PM
I am growing out, also. It is a pain to wait for hair to get long so just try to forget it. Bandanas, headbands, clips to hold it back, whatever it takes to get you through the mullet stage. I can put mine into a tiny bun but there is still a bunch of hair hanging down. Good luck and you may want to check out the super shorties, there is lots of support for growing out short hair.

Columbia River
October 8th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Hi Little B...Im just two months ahead of you, and I know about growing Pixie to medium, back to Pixie and all over again too. This time Im going for middle of back range. Im taking this vitamins (some I was already taking for general health, so Ill put a star * by the ones I take for hair growth) I take Omega 3s, Vita D, Multi Vitamin, B Complex, *Biotin, and *Biosil (actually Jarosil). Ive found a little trick on LHC that helps me. I also love my hairband collection and I have decided to get my hair trimmed shortly after each change of season, so every twelve weeks, with a nice little structure of reminder for me.

I hope you enjoy the board as much as I have.

Columbia River
October 8th, 2011, 04:52 PM
...Oh I forgot to say that the two I starred the biotin and biosil were the ones I added specifically for hair growth, however I do think my whole "vitamin cocktail" is helping me.

swearnsue
October 8th, 2011, 04:56 PM
I'm going through the same thing right now. I just curled my hair with the Caruso steam curlers so that I can use a headband to hold back my curled hair. I'm not sure how it will look, my hair is still drying. I've been oiling etc too. Then this morning I was going to go into town and I looked at myself in the mirror and decided I looked too awful to leave the house! I've been trimming the hair in back and the little bit in front of the ears to try to even out the longest of the pixie hairs to let the shorter layers catch up. I KNOW that the curly hair pulled back with a headband would probably look good on you because you are quite a bit younger than me.

AcornMystic
October 8th, 2011, 05:23 PM
I know how you feel, LittleB. You'll see from my album I got a pixie September 26th. I didn't lose much of my longest layer, but fairly heavy layering throughout. I had only 4 inches of layers to grow out, I did it to get rid of the last of my dye damage, and sacrificed to put up with layers for a few more years than have to put up with dye damage for 8 months (the time it would have taken to get to wear I was and remove the dye damage).

You'll notice I grew an inch between my recorded months so far. I think I attribute that to the twice daily scalp massages and the added massage during washes. I've also been taking biotin pills, 1 everyday. I hadn't been getting breakage also, and I attribute that to the fact that I protect my head at night with a silk or satin scarf. Some people will probably beg to differ, but I think short hair needs more nightly protection than long hair. Hair ends are stuck in the danger zone. They get crushed, scraped, twisted around. You're just asking for every kind of split out there and bunches of single strand knots to be formed. Ends are where it can all start to unravel. So, it is very important that you flatten and contain your hair at night.

If you can't stand sleeping with things on your head, then the best solution would be to get yourself a satin or silk pillowcase, if you don't already have one. Whether you are a long hair or a short hair it will be one of your best friends and help lull you to sleep and free you of much worry.

That is all I can think of right now, but I just want to give you a cheer for growing out a pixie. It can be frustrating, but when you're past the mullet stage you know you've really made an accomplishment. :D (fortunately the gal kept the hair around my ears long so I don't have to go through that:cheese:)

Lesson of your story, to me. When my husband and I have a baby I am going to make him guard the scissors and take them around with him. I will also make sure he is in vito mode of the finances so no salon visits out of desperation or buying more scissors. Post-partum sounds like a scary thing, and since I'm already so headstrong I don't know what I might do to my hair.:uhh: As it is, he saved me from dying my hair, and restarting my entire virgin grow-out journey (that I'd started 9 months before), when we came across some $1 box of dyes at the dollar store on our honeymoon. (I have a problem with bargaining and I think I was having a moment of weakness because I wasn't satisfied with my hair, I also didn't have much length to think about) He knew how much I was into the journey I was on and literally dragged me away until we were out of the isle. Bless his heart.:D

swearnsue
October 8th, 2011, 05:41 PM
The headband with curls looks pretty good. So my advice would be to get some headbands, I got several in different colors for $1, and curl your hair, put back with the headband. You can even pull out a bit of bang curls to soften the hairline.

Changling
October 8th, 2011, 05:57 PM
I'm right there with you, growing out a pixie. My longest layers are almost chin length...god it's so agonizing. It feels like you just can't do anything with it. I've been doing a half-up with pigtails for a while, but I really want a ponytail...I feel like I might be able to pull off a ponystub if I could just find my wide headband. It's driving me crazy because it's been in the same spot for about two years (next to the facial scrub), and now it's just gone!

But yeah, bandanas are very good, especially if you like to experiment with different washing/moisture treatments like me XD

LittleB
October 8th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Oh my gosh, you guys are seriously hilarious. I'm so glad I'm not the only one in pixie-angst.
Yes, watch out for postpartum hair rages. The problem is, you feel frumpy and are guaranteed a great haircut with a pixie, but then...you know the rest. We're girls, we want great, long hair!

Does anyone know where to get super cute headbands? (think Anthropologie, but I can't bear to spend $30 on a single headband).

ColumbiaRiver, I'm going to start taking the Biotin and Biosil. Have you found that they increased your growth?

jacqueline101
October 8th, 2011, 07:15 PM
I havent grown out a pixie but I have learned vitamins are good. The cheapest place to get head bands is family dollar you can get a bundle for $2.00's. If you have a knitter in the family maybe they would make you some for free. I also use Mane N Tail shampoo and condish. You can get that at family dollar also.

luluj
October 8th, 2011, 07:50 PM
LittleB, let me first say welcome to TLHC! When I was growing out my pixie, this thread http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18405 was recommended to me and I loved it!! Drop by and check it out!;)

longhairedwolf
October 8th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Welcome! Come join us on the Super Shorties thread - luluj posted the link.

hs_atreides
October 8th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Pixies are cute, edgy, daring, breezy until you have to grow one out. This is my THIRD time. I think the super-shorties thread is helpful and hope you find the support you need!

Columbia River
October 9th, 2011, 12:42 AM
If you are crafty you can get the dollar store ones and cover with some fabric you love. Me, I peek in Target and Claires. The plastic ones get the job done, are nice looking (in my opinion), and get the job done.

Right now, I love the condition of my hair. It's hard to say specifically what I love about it. I've been learning about different shampoo and conditioner ingredients here, washing every other day, changing how I use my hair dryer, cassia (clear henna that makes my chestnut hair a color and texture I love!!!)

I'm kind of a rebel, as what doesn't work for others works for me. My hair lines sulfates and sili'CONES, I spray my hair with a little salt water* at the roots for POOF I never got from product.
I'll probably use a hair dryer for a long time, however I use it differently. I don't use it everytime, never on the hot setting, and I use "One and Only Argan Oil" with 'cones to speed my drying time and protect hair from heat.

*** I know you just asked me about the supplements...but this is a whole new world to mez
, and even though I'm not loving my current length, I L

Columbia River
October 9th, 2011, 12:46 AM
...I love the texture, health and color of my natural hair for the first time in my life. Thank you LHC!