PDA

View Full Version : Protein question

Buffy
October 8th, 2011, 11:01 AM
To give my hair the protein it needs do i have to buy a "protein treatment" , or any mask with protein in its ingredients is sufficient?

I have a Gliss by Schwartzkopf mask for dull hair and there is protein in the ingredients. After i use it my hair feels very soft, so this makes me suspicious, since i've heard that protein can make your hair feel dehydrated.So maybe it doesn't contain enough protein??

What do YOU use for protein?

p.s. My hair is chemically processed and since i CAN'T understand what my hair needs no matter what strand tests i do, i'll assume it probably needs protein , since i have highlights, and see where that takes me.

Panth
October 8th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Well, you'll need protein if your hair is deficient in it, to put it simply. Protein loss is often a function of damage. Thus, damaged hair often needs protein. However, needing protein can also be a simple function of hair type...

A test you could try is to find a shed hair and slowly stretch it. If it snaps almost immediately with little stretching, you may well need additional moisture and maybe less protein. If it stretches a bit, then returns to its original length when the tension is removed, your hair is probably quite ok with your current routine. If it stretches like melted cheese - lots and lots and lots - and won't return to its original length when the tension is removed, your hair needs additional protein and maybe less moisture.

EDIT: However, hair in general doesn't need protein. Overall, hair has its own protein. It's only if your hair has suffered protein loss (through damage, or through being naturally susceptible to protein loss) that you'd need to replace it using products.

Buffy
October 8th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Well, you'll need protein if your hair is deficient in it, to put it simply. Protein loss is often a function of damage. Thus, damaged hair often needs protein. However, needing protein can also be a simple function of hair type...

A test you could try is to find a shed hair and slowly stretch it. If it snaps almost immediately with little stretching, you may well need additional moisture and maybe less protein. If it stretches a bit, then returns to its original length when the tension is removed, your hair is probably quite ok with your current routine. If it stretches like melted cheese - lots and lots and lots - and won't return to its original length when the tension is removed, your hair needs additional protein and maybe less moisture.

EDIT: However, hair in general doesn't need protein. Overall, hair has its own protein. It's only if your hair has suffered protein loss (through damage, or through being naturally susceptible to protein loss) that you'd need to replace it using products.

Thank you for the answer :):):)

I've done this test on my hair, but it's quite difficult to say. It stretches enough but not too long, then when i remove the tension it goes back to its original state. The problem is, i don't know how much it should stretch! Also considering that this varies depending on the thickness of the strand itself! So, all in all, my hair responds very normal to it, but i still think it needs some help, since i bleach it.

Do you use protein? If yes, what kind of product?

Panth
October 8th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Thank you for the answer :):):)

I've done this test on my hair, but it's quite difficult to say. It stretches enough but not too long, then when i remove the tension it goes back to its original state. The problem is, i don't know how much it should stretch! Also considering that this varies depending on the thickness of the strand itself! So, all in all, my hair responds very normal to it, but i still think it needs some help, since i bleach it.

Do you use protein? If yes, what kind of product?

Well, if it stretches a bit and returns to its original length, then I'd say it's probably pretty healthy as it is. Now, bear in mind it could be that healthy because of your protein usage or despite your protein usage. The only way to tell which it is would be to stop using protein treatments and see if your hair stays happy and healthy.

If I was you, I'd just keep using the protein treatment (if it isn't too arduous or too expensive) and monitor my hair for any signs of protein overload (often described as "crunchy" feeling hair).

Personally, I don't use protein products (or, in fact, any additional products - I'm terribly lazy!). You can see my routine on my profile. However, my hair is 'virgin' and its only damage is mechanical damage from angry brushing and wearing it loose from the time before Aug 2010. Other hairtypes are likely to require different things, as is bleached hair.

Buffy
October 9th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Thank you!! :)
I just wanted to make it clear, what people mean when they say protein treatment, because i'm not sure.

Is it a mask/conditioner WITH protein in it ...... or a product that clearly claims to be a : "protein treatment". Do i make any sense? Anyone?

einna
October 9th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Thank you!! :)
I just wanted to make it clear, what people mean when they say protein treatment, because i'm not sure.

Is it a mask/conditioner WITH protein in it ...... or a product tat clearly claims to be a : "protein treatment". Do i make any sense? Anyone?

Hi. I think it can mean different things. Some people need a lot of protein, and would need to use a stronger protein treatment, while others only need a little bit, and gets enough from a conditioner or a deep treatment with just a little bit of added protein.

There are many types of protein, like keratin (hair is made from this), soy protein, silk protein etc. Sometimes they are called amino acids. Natural protein treatments can be eggs or avocado. A pure protein treatment can be Joico K-Pak Reconstruct. Some may put a conditioner with a little bit of protein in their hair an leave it for a while, calling it a protein treatment.

Also, any product that claims to have reconstructing or repairing properties will probably have some kind of protein in them.