PDA

View Full Version : My first bun!

Cimorene
October 8th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Hooray! I successfully put my hair in a bun today! :D

I've never been able to figure out how to bun my hair and get it to stay. Partly because I have little to no manual dexterity, and partly because I have really slippy hair. It's a pain because my hair has been getting longer (right at mid-back now I think), and I've been getting bored with my go-to braid. And French twists just don't cut it anymore.

But today I was victorious! I watched the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoBA2OhZrcU) on Spidermom's bun and decided to try it, even though I've never been able to get hair sticks to stay in for more than 2 seconds. In the end I couldn't do the bun as instructed - my hair wasn't long enough to make 2 loops since I'm still growing out some layers at the end. BUT, I modified it by making one loop, which I then split in half, then worked in the hair stick, and voila! It worked!

Since it's my first attempt it looks pretty crappy, but it's up! And it's holding! AND the hair stick hasn't come rolling down my back yet! I'M SO HAPPY! :cheese:

I will post some pics as soon as I can convince my camera and computer to play nice.

SoetSout
October 8th, 2011, 10:29 AM
just to make you feel beter, i cant even braid my hair. I have always thought there was no reason for girls to take long with their hair.

now that i have gotten long hair myself i understand completely.

Yozhik
October 8th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Wonderful -- that's a great bun. :)

Congratulations. :flower:

Teamouse
October 8th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Yay! Congrats!
I am such a noob when it comes to doing my hair... Some things just look so complex I don't even try. I see all these beautiful updos in everyone's profile picture/sig and I think "Wow, that looks amazing" and my eyes just glaze over.

Personally I suck especially at braids.

I learnt how to french braid (badly) for the first time just the other day.
Then I did the rope braid thingie. My boyfriend saw me doing it and exclaimed "That's so cool! Did you just twist those bits and then twist them the other way? That's how they make ropes!" Never seem him so excited about my hair before.

MrsGuther
October 8th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Congrats!!! :)

khan
October 8th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Yay!! It's kinda like taking your first baby steps. You are on your way. Thanks for posting the vid link. I haven't tried this one. Yet.

:hollie: Congratulations.

Yame
October 8th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Yay, congrats! I just started learning how to make buns recently, too, when I joined LHC. It's a lot of fun trying to learn a new bun, and even more fun when you succeed at it :)
Kudos for being able to modify it to work for you, too!

Changling
October 8th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Congrats! I have never done a bun either, and my hair is too short right now :( but SOMEDAY...*stares off into the distance*

btw I love your name! Is that a reference to Princess Cimorene from Dealing With Dragons?

lapispimpernel
October 8th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Cimorene, I'm sure you did a great job! We need pictures! :cheese:

Changling: Aw, can you do pigtail buns? They're pretty cute.

jacqueline101
October 8th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Im pretty new to the bun club too. It is like baby steps. I am glad to be able to bun my hair I had pony tail it for so long I needed a change. Somehow with my bun I feel more feminine.

Cimorene
October 8th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Thanks everyone! As promised, here are some pics:

Attempt #1: Messy, but holding strong. Also, please ignore my grease-ball hair...
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5852&pictureid=115633

Attempt #2: Much neater this time. Still looks a little weird to me; hopefully I'll improve with practice!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5852&pictureid=115634

btw I love your name! Is that a reference to Princess Cimorene from Dealing With Dragons?

Yes it is! That was my favorite book series when I was little, and I always loved the hard cover illustrations of Cimorene's hair!

Anyway, off to watch more bunning/braiding videos! :thumbsup:

hendricks82
October 8th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I suppose I am too new to see the pictures, but congrats on your first bun!!

Changling
October 8th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Changling: Aw, can you do pigtail buns? They're pretty cute.

Not quite yet, I can only do like a pigtail half-up. If that makes any sense, haha. My hair is still very short :(

Lostsoule77
October 8th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Congratulations, it looks really nice. I've tried to do that & I just have too many problems with the two loops. They either slip off my fingers or I can't figure out where one ends and the other starts. Makes it look no too good. I need to learn more buns myself. I tend to just do my version of a knot bun that I've been doing before I knew it had a name and once in awhile I throw in a lazy wrap bun.

Just keep practicing and you'll be able to do this without thought. :)

Cimorene
October 9th, 2011, 09:05 AM
I've tried to do that & I just have too many problems with the two loops. They either slip off my fingers or I can't figure out where one ends and the other starts.

Well, I wasn't able to do the two loops, either, because there are some uneven layers at the ends of my hair...either that, or I'm looping around the wrong two fingers. Anyway, I just made one loop and then used a finger to split the loop in half. I'm pretty sure I haven't gotten it completely even yet, but it works nonetheless.

Cimorene
October 9th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Decided I'd try a rose bun today:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5852&pictureid=115658

Looks like someone's taken a big ol' bite out of the bottom left part, though. :laugh: