PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to hair spray?

neko_kawaii
October 8th, 2011, 08:44 AM
I am going to tea with my nieces for a special occasion and have a fun hat that sits on one side of my head and plan on doing some braided and twisted buns to decorate the other side (I'll post pics, I promise). What would you recommend for putting in my hair to keep it from getting all sticky outty with time?

Yozhik
October 8th, 2011, 08:52 AM
I know aloe vera has some hold to it. Maybe a mix with a teensy bit of oil?

Other than that, I guess you could use some styling pomade, which maybe might give hold without being too difficult to get out (I'm not sure, because I've never used it on long hair).

Actually, thinking about it, I'd probably go with pretty dirty hair. That's when my hairdos look the sleekest/have the least wispies.

Hope that helps, and I'm looking forward to pics! :flower:

Aeris
October 8th, 2011, 08:58 AM
That sounds so cute! I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

And like Yozhik said, pure aloe vera gel can hold very well because of the carbomers in it. And freshly-cleaned hair is harder to keep up than hair that's rested a few days after washing.

You could try the aloe mixed with water in a small spray bottle, or try kimberlily's defrizz spray:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277

That and bobby pins.

LaurelSpring
October 8th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Ive seen a thread around here using diluted honey as hairspray also.

Panth
October 8th, 2011, 10:00 AM
A 1:1 mix of coconut oil and aloe vera gel works pretty nicely. You don't have to be precise about it - just guesstimate the amounts and mix them up in the palm of your hand.

Eirelin
October 8th, 2011, 10:37 AM
I use boiled lemons: Chop up a lemon, boil it in 2 cups of water down to about 1 cup, strain it all out (I use coffee filters), and add a tiny bit of vodka (optional) as a preservative. It goes into a little spray bottle and lives in the refrigerator.

It works great for updos and combs out easily, even with finger-combing.

Curly Hermione
October 8th, 2011, 10:58 AM
In a book i have, "naturally healthy hair" by Mary Beth Janssen, is says that sugar and water mixed together makes a good hold hairspray. If i remember later i'll have a look and post the exact measurements (i'm at my aunts house right now). But i don't think there where any other ingredients, and i think the basic idea was more sugar=more hold.

jaine
October 8th, 2011, 11:16 AM
http://www.maxgreenalchemy.com/item--Scalp-Rescue-Sculpting-Gel--MGASCU.html
My favorite!

morrigan*
October 8th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Eirelin would that spray dry out hair ends if it has vodka inside ?

roodboerinnetje
October 8th, 2011, 11:41 AM
In a book i have, "naturally healthy hair" by Mary Beth Janssen, is says that sugar and water mixed together makes a good hold hairspray. If i remember later i'll have a look and post the exact measurements (i'm at my aunts house right now). But i don't think there where any other ingredients, and i think the basic idea was more sugar=more hold.

Curly Hermione, I'd like to second that! I've never personally tried it, but when I asked my grandmother once about what she used to use for her hair (to make and set fingerwaves), she said "sugar and water - add more sugar to make it hold better" :D

ddiana1979
October 8th, 2011, 11:53 AM
I use 1:1 aloe:water in a tiny spray bottle. It works pretty well, especially for holding in wispies.

neko_kawaii
October 8th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I had some Kimberlilys and went with that. I will have to experiment with the other suggestions next time!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8248&pictureid=115580

Ready to go out the door for tea and other adventures!

Alex Lou
October 8th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Cute 'do! :)

Yozhik
October 8th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Super cute! Your hair looks adorable, and so does the hat! ^_^

MrsGuther
October 8th, 2011, 02:40 PM
I had some Kimberlilys and went with that. I will have to experiment with the other suggestions next time!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8248&pictureid=115580

Ready to go out the door for tea and other adventures!

So cute! I really like your hairstyle and that hat! :D

MrsGuther
October 8th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I use 1:1 aloe:water in a tiny spray bottle. It works pretty well, especially for holding in wispies.

I'm gonna have to try this! I hate hairspray, it's so drying and it makes my hair sticky. I will be trying your suggestion of aloe and water in a spray bottle! :)

neko_kawaii
October 8th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Kimberlily's did the trick! Eight hours later and hardly any frizz. Tea was fun but sadly the picky niece turned up her nose at all the nummy sandwiches and cookies. Too foreign for her delicate chicken nugget pallet. *sigh*