PDA

View Full Version : First Gel 'n Plop EVER!

Siava
July 3rd, 2008, 08:01 PM
I am so excited about this because this is the slinkiest/curliest/boingiest my hair has ever been in my life! I just have to brag (even though there's still a bit of frizz). Also, for you experts out there, is this 3a, 3b, or in between? I'm so curious! Thank you kindly. :)

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/siavafv/hairback.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l108/siavafv/hairside.jpg

Nat242
July 3rd, 2008, 08:14 PM
I don't know what hair type you are, but your curls are gorgeous!

-- Natalie

Siava
July 3rd, 2008, 08:43 PM
Aww, thank you so much! I think it really helps to embrace the curls vs. fighting them for years like I did. Now I really like them! Thanks for saying they're gorgeous. :)

SweetPea88
July 3rd, 2008, 08:45 PM
OOH, how pretty! I love how soft it looks and the curls are perfect! :)

ETA: Maybe 3a...but don't quote me!

Riot Crrl
July 3rd, 2008, 08:51 PM
I have a hard time deciding too. I see looseness at the root, but not as much as I have. And the curls below that are smaller than what I usually have too. Maybe it is some sort of combo, but I would lean more on the 3a side.

Very pretty curls in any case!

I can't get the plopping down without introducing myself to a frizz universe, so I'm no help there. But I think you could get it down some by experimenting with amount and type of products.

Edit: By smaller curls I meant tighter, i. e. smaller in diameter.

Siava
July 3rd, 2008, 09:08 PM
Sweetpea, thank you!

Riot Crrl, the root looseness kills me! Gah!!! It's usually looser than that, but the plopping really helped. Thanks for the encouraging words about product usage. I'll try using a tad bit more gel at the roots next time and keep my hands off of my hair while it's drying to see what else it can achieve.

I love being a curly!!

Riot Crrl
July 3rd, 2008, 09:13 PM
Oh yeah, don't touch it until it's dry! :)

Silver & Gold
July 3rd, 2008, 09:16 PM
I would be quite proud of those curls myself. I've tried plopping but my hair isn't quite long enough yet. I've heard that it doesn't work all that well if your hair is too short. *sigh* One more reason to have to wait for my hair to grow.

Siava
July 3rd, 2008, 10:18 PM
S&G, I don't have anything to add about the plopping, but I've always admired your avatar and I just took a peek at your profile picture. Oh my. I hope beyond hopes that I retain my youthful looks as well as you do at 49. You are stunning and so is your hair!

Arctic
July 4th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Wow! So pretty curls!

As for the hair typing question, you should take photo of your hair without any handling after a wash, to show most accurate type.

EllisGurl
July 4th, 2008, 06:18 AM
I'm not good at hair typing either but I wanted to pop over and say:

:cheese:Beautiful curls!!!!:cheese:

Jorchet
July 4th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Wow! Your hair looks great! Is that your natural colour? It looks really healthy and shiny! I do leave-in cream, gel and plopping myself, and love the results.

DecafJane
July 4th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Wow, your curls look fantastic!! :D

Silver & Gold
July 4th, 2008, 07:47 AM
S&G, I don't have anything to add about the plopping, but I've always admired your avatar and I just took a peek at your profile picture. Oh my. I hope beyond hopes that I retain my youthful looks as well as you do at 49. You are stunning and so is your hair!

Wow! Thanks. *blush*

brok3nwings
July 4th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Oh i am MAD about curly hair!! I LOVEEEE itt !!! Your curls look perfect in that picture and incredibly shiny! If i saw you passing i would look into your hair for sure. About the typing thing... i absolutly have no idea, sorry

StephanieB
July 4th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Please define "plopping" for me?

Thank you. :)

Gorgeous curls, btw.

Xandergrammy
July 4th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Wow! Your curls are perfect!!

kate46
July 4th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Aww lovely curls! you did a great job :). I can't help with the typing though as I haven't a clue being stick straight and green with envy :D.

FrannyG
July 4th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Another straightie here, completely agog at your perfect curls! :cloud9:

Garnett
July 4th, 2008, 09:49 AM
ooh it's so pretty!! Nicely done :D

StephanieB
July 4th, 2008, 11:21 AM

Gorgeous curls, btw.

I finally found it. ;)

curly girl fla
July 4th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Gorgeous hair! I wish mine spiralled so smoothly. What gel do you use? I think you're a 3a mixed with 3b, too. If you add more gel at the roots and plop as long as you can, you'd probably see more of that wonderful curl at your roots, too. What kind of towel are you plopping in? I can't use microfiber (frizzes even worse), but love using the Curlease and Flour Sack towels to plop or scrunch with. Nothing can stop my frizz down here, though...

Chamomile betty
July 4th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Your hair looks wonderful!
Glad the gel 'n plop worked for you.

Siava
July 4th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the compliments, everybody. I did this again today with a bit more gel at the roots, but it didn't make 'em any more defined. I can live with this though and I'm happy with the results. Yay! :cheese:

Wow! So pretty curls!

As for the hair typing question, you should take photo of your hair without any handling after a wash, to show most accurate type.

I will do that. Thank you. :)

Wow! Your hair looks great! Is that your natural colour? It looks really healthy and shiny! I do leave-in cream, gel and plopping myself, and love the results.

Thanks! Unfortunatly, it's not my natural color. I haven't dyed in over 6 months and this will eventually get cut off. *sniffle*

Gorgeous curls, btw.

I finally found it. ;)

Thank you. I'm glad you found it! I'm going to post a link just incase someone else needs info.
http://www.naturallycurly.com/tips/to-plop-or-not-to-plop

Gorgeous hair! I wish mine spiralled so smoothly. What gel do you use? I think you're a 3a mixed with 3b, too. If you add more gel at the roots and plop as long as you can, you'd probably see more of that wonderful curl at your roots, too. What kind of towel are you plopping in? I can't use microfiber (frizzes even worse), but love using the Curlease and Flour Sack towels to plop or scrunch with. Nothing can stop my frizz down here, though...

Thanks! I used Dove Define & Shine gel. It's very light, non-crunchy, and cone-free. I used an old t-shirt 'cause I'm cheap. :)

psvzum
July 4th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Curl, color, shine---beautiful hair!!!!!

Ciel
July 4th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Siava (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=15357), your hair looks great:)

Siava
July 4th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Thank you both so much. :)