PDA

View Full Version : Regrowing hair after TE?

JadeTigress
October 7th, 2011, 08:54 PM
So I finally went to the dermatologist to have him see about my massive shed (it has gotten better, it's about half as bad as it was, but it's still extremely heavy). He said it looks like telogen effluvium, especially based on my history (Topamax + extreme stress) and since I said it was starting to get a little better, and he said that it just takes some people longer than others to get over it. He said based on how long it's been going on and where I'm at now compared to how it was when it first started, he said I should probably be back to normal in three or four months. If not, he'll poke around some more and figure out if there's something else going on.

However, he said that if I wanted to try to jumpstart the growing process again, to take biotin, and if I wanted to he said I could use Rogaine (the 5% one). I bought some biotin, but the Rogaine is way too expensive for me right now. I can't afford to spend $40 on a little bottle.

So I was wondering if any of you have any recommendations. Oils, supplements, anything at all (as long as it's not $40 a bottle :p ). I was thinking about trying Monistat, but will that regrow lost hair or does it only work to grow the hair that's on my head right now?

Thanks in advance! :D

shawty
October 7th, 2011, 09:11 PM
You could try castor oil, diluted with something else like coconut or olive. I've heard good things about it, though I've not tried it myself.

Carolyn
October 7th, 2011, 09:34 PM
You can buy store brand Rogaine at places like Walmart, Target, Walgreens and CVS. It's much less expensive.

girlcat36
October 7th, 2011, 09:41 PM
I would try castor oil. The thing about Rogaine is I hear that once you use it, you are stuck using it for life. I have been afrraid to try it for that resaon. I have horribly thinning hair, I'm uing castor oil, arnica cream and topical iodine. I just started taking MSM, too, hoping that will help. Everyone is different, though, what works for one may not work for another.

tinywife
October 7th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Rooibos tea! There's a whole thread on here that converted me, and I think it's working.