PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed

Vanille_
October 7th, 2011, 02:49 PM
I am so glad I found this place. I'm starting to get some of the basics down I think. Today I went shopping (yay!) and picked up some fun stuff like aloe, some softening/anti frizz stuff, a hot wax treatment, a mist sprayer, some peppermint. I'm going to be playing with mixing different things for a mister :) I got a new wide comb since I have apparently been doing something very bad with brushing my hair as soon as I get out of the shower with a brush that is just breaking my hair.

I took this picture today, a few minutes before I tried my first jojoba treatment (waiting for my hair to dry to see the results).

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z252/onexmorexgirl/DSC005831.jpg

So my question is this: should I try to get out those waves? If so, how can I safely straighten my hair?

Or should I try to preserve them? Is there something I can do to make them look nice?

In my opinion, I have never thought they look nice on me. But with a forum so large, maybe an outside suggestion is just what I need.

Vanille_
October 7th, 2011, 02:50 PM
When my hair was long, it did the same thing .. but weighted down a bit more.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z252/onexmorexgirl/215458_1025720875719_1006185449_30095075_5352_n.jp g

Edit: Oh and I'm waiting to henna my hair this weekend for the first time. I've never been so excited about my hair before LHC!

buttercupmcgee
October 7th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Yay! It's so fun to get started isn't it?

As for the wavy/straight issue, I think you could encourage the waves with beautiful results. Bunning and scrunching come to mind.

For straight hair, there's a lot of info about a technique called wrapping. Check out this thread:

http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77326

Also, just curious, what are you using the hot wax for when it comes to your hair?

ssjhotau2
October 7th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Cones in hair products makes waves look weird imo- I didn't know I had waves, I thought I just had poofy straight hair that "air dried funny" because some of it would try to wave and some was straight and it was just... meh.

But since I've gone cone free I love my natural waves :D and I wear a loose braid while my hair dries to help define them.

I imagine its preference though, I just love waves :)

Vanille_
October 7th, 2011, 03:03 PM
It was just a jojoba hot wax (well more like warm) that you can leave in your hair for three minutes under a warm damp towel. It's supposed to help with damage and softness.

Vanille_
October 7th, 2011, 03:04 PM
What exactly are cones? Where can I read more about them?

theflummox
October 7th, 2011, 03:20 PM
I'm just popping in to say that you have my dream hair! I love the colour and those waves :crush:

Cones are silicones, and there are some articles about them in the useful links sticky at the top of the page!

pinchbeck
October 7th, 2011, 04:48 PM
I like the waves, but also think straightened hair looks nice too on occasion (I haven't straightened mine before). Embrace your waves and maybe look at them differently with an open mind and remember that straightening your hair damages it. Keep it wavy which will keep it healthy!

Lostsoule77
October 7th, 2011, 06:25 PM
I love your waves! I think it is much simpler to find the best way to enhance what you already have. I would work with the waves instead of trying to straighten them. :twocents:

Rybe
October 7th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Keep your waves! Though, full disclosure, I have SERIOUS wave envy. Straight is highly over rated.

Hehe you sound like me! I was never so excited about my hair till I found this place...And I may have jojoba oil in my hair right now...while I'm typing.

Vanille_
October 7th, 2011, 08:07 PM
The jojoba didn't work out for me :( But that is what is so fun about this, I can play around and find what works best for me.

I'm going take you advice and work on getting some prettier waves.