PDA

View Full Version : Hair LOOKING good vs Hair FEELING good

jennyjukes
October 7th, 2011, 02:32 PM
hmmm ive found that although my hair FEELS soft & untangled, it looks a hot mess
yet when its styled and pretty damaged, it LOOKS good even without silicones :confused: my hair is naturally wavy and short but its always this way... anyone else like this?

and what would you prefer, hair that always looks good but feels crap or feels healthy but looks crap?

MrsGuther
October 7th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I would prefer hair that feels healthy versus "styled" hair (flat ironed comes to mind... ).

CavySong
October 7th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Definitely prefer feels better, but sometimes, it is nice to look good as well. Maybe some of the LHC veterans will have some pointers for you, I'm just a nube.

Rocket22
October 7th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Humm I think my first thought would say looks good. But honestly I have had (when I had crappy ones) extensions that looked good but felt like crap. And I hated it! So I'm going to go with feels good. you know what maybe they looked bad too and I just didn't know it???? hahaha.

MissManda
October 7th, 2011, 03:19 PM
I never liked the feeling of products like gel, mousse, or hairspray in my hair. It would drive me batty to feel how crunchy, sticky, or dry my hair was which made me want to hop back into the shower to wash it all out. Ick! I don't care if it makes my roots flatter than what is considered fashionable, I need to have my hair feel like itself. :p

Lianna
October 7th, 2011, 03:26 PM
I choose my soft frizzy mess over hair that's hard, styled with products that I can't even touch or it would mess it. Applying a little oil makes it look a lot better and even softer! :)

heartgoesboom
October 7th, 2011, 05:15 PM
hmmm ive found that although my hair FEELS soft & untangled, it looks a hot mess
yet when its styled and pretty damaged, it LOOKS good even without silicones :confused: my hair is naturally wavy and short but its always this way... anyone else like this?

and what would you prefer, hair that always looks good but feels crap or feels healthy but looks crap?

my hair looks like that too because my hair is pretty damaged from dying it... it looks messy when i leave it oiled and alone but if i style is with a hair straightener or dryer, it looks nice but dry to touch. i prefer feels healthy (as healthy as mine can be) and looks good by braiding my hair (recently, bunning it) to get nice waves even though my hair is relatively straight.

aisha.christine
October 7th, 2011, 05:25 PM
I agree with most the previous posters. I can't STAND having product in my hair (gel, hairspray, etc.) I always feel like even though my hair looks alright, it feels plastic, and I love to touch my hair, so I forgo the stylish look for soft, touchable, silky locks.

Amber_Maiden
October 7th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Yep. I agree. My hair actually looks healthier and better when I straighten the s**t out of it. When i don't it looks the opposite. I don't straighten it often though, regardless.

Lostsoule77
October 7th, 2011, 06:20 PM
I prefer to have hair that is healthy. If it's frizzy and a mess I just put it into a braid or bun and it'll look good too. :) I hate the feeling of stuff in my hair so I avoid it 99% of the time.

going gray
October 8th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Hair products,gels that I now have to use, is just another reason to grow my hair back.

I too cannot stand the feeling of not being able to touch my hair.........

AMD
October 8th, 2011, 10:13 AM
I think two years ago I would have said I prefer hair that looks good, but I have come to realize how wonderful having hair that feels good is.

Madora
October 8th, 2011, 10:19 AM

I'm at a loss to understand how your hair can look like crap if it is healthy. That being said, I prefer healthy hair over hair that has been styled with heat or gel to make it look good. The thought of putting anything on my hair is repugnant to me. Of course I don't wear my hair down, so maybe that has something to do with it. I don't have to bother with "styling" it with product when I can put it up and forget about it until I rebraid it at night.

morrigan*
October 8th, 2011, 11:42 AM
I can't stand hair with styling products, I understand that a bit of styling with heat is sometimes needed, especially with wavy hair :).
Maybe you should use difrent hair care products for better feeling. I know that in may hair is very important what to use :D

Kome
October 8th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I would prefer hair that feels healthy versus "styled" hair (flat ironed comes to mind... ).

It's funny you say that because my hair feels WONDERFUL when I flat iron it. It's so silky and shiney, looks wonderful, and FEELS great. I can't stop petting it. Haha. :eyebrows:

Mopolop
October 8th, 2011, 01:17 PM
I've noticed this too - if I straighten my hair, the ends feel dry even if I put a fair amount of oil on them, but it looks so so much better (not straightening till dead straight, just smoothing out the dense curls). If I don't straighten it, it feels nice and touchable but looks poofy.

I guess I'm vain and prefer it to look good, although I'm fairly new to this "treating your hair well" concept...I'm hoping my new growth will look better than the damaged straightened-everyday-since-it-emerged-from-my-scalp stuff I'm currently wearing.

Mopolop
October 8th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Although getting rid of cone-y conditioners made a massive difference - my hair used to feel quite nice after straightening when I used cone-y conditioners, now it def feels worse after straightening.

MaryRose
October 8th, 2011, 02:34 PM
I rather have my hair feel good than look good. If my hair looks that bad, I will just put it up.

xoxophelia
October 8th, 2011, 02:49 PM
This is one of those areas where it helps to think long term for me and to be patient.

When I first came to LHC I had been straightening my hair nearly daily partly because a haircut that didn't fit my natural texture and also because my hair looked puffy and ragged without atleast a blow dry. The reason for that though was damage.

So, when I gave up heat styling 99% of the time, my hair looked pretty bad. Ok, REALLY bad. That being said, it was never going to get better unless I stopped heat styling.

Eventually when the damage grows out and is cut off, the hair can actually be healthy, feel soft, and look good. It takes a lot of time though but for me it is well worth it. I only have to spend at most 15 minutes on my hair now (usually far less) and it looks ok. Before it would have been more like 30 minutes-an hour daily.