PDA

View Full Version : Monistat Conspiracy

Columbia River
October 7th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Oh please, let it not be true. I went for a trim today and asked my stylist of 20 years, who I trust to "trim"'and help me grow long healthy hair about Monistat. The shop is in a very crunchy and creative part of the city, very open to alternative hair techniques, also an area with lots of healthy long hairs. Anyhow he brought up he has heard of this, however he wonders if it could have been a rumor generated from the inside of the "Monistat Corp" to energize sales? Thoughts?

...bonus he typed my hair as medium as I have always thought it to be fine. I'm pleased about this.

Kaelee
October 7th, 2011, 02:10 PM
It's actually well known here to speed hair growth. Apparently, it really works!

However I haven't tried it. I'm afraid of long term repercussions that we don't know about yet.

spidermom
October 7th, 2011, 02:14 PM
However I haven't tried it. I'm afraid of long term repercussions that we don't know about yet.

Me too! I've heard some scary stories about shedding handfuls of hair, but I don't know if it's related to Monistat. I'd rather be patient than risk something like that, however.

Kaelee
October 7th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Spidermom I'm glad I'm not the only one in this boat lol.

I just can't help but think we're doing this now, but 20 years from now (after we've long stopped using it) all of our hair falls out or something weird like that. Not worth the risk.

TessieAnn
October 7th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Monistat is an antifungal. Years ago it was prescription only but has been available over the counter for a long time.

Here (http://www.rxlist.com/monistat_vaginal_cream-drug.htm) is a list of possible side effects. Note that these are related to use in sensitive, thin, internal tissues where absorption is likely to be greater than when used on the scalp. Some LHCers have reported headaches after using Monistat on scalp.

Active ingredient is miconazole.

Inactive ingredients are:

suppository: hydrogenated vegetable oil base

external cream: benzoic acid, cetyl alcohol, isopropyl myristate, polysorbate 60, potassium hydroxide, propylene glycol, purified water, stearyl alcohol

Alternate inactive ingredients: Benzoic acid, BHA, mineral oil, peglicol 5 oleate, pegoxol 7 stearate, purified water.

Note that many of the cream ingredients are also in many mainstream shampoos. So if you use drugstore shampoo you are being exposed to many of the same ingredients.

Any new substance applied to the skin should be watched for side effects. We should always be skeptical, even with so-called "natural" ingredients. I just don't see why Monistat is different in some mysterious, threatening way.

Columbia River
October 7th, 2011, 03:34 PM
So...How does it work for growing faster hair? I do think it's really working for me, but why? (I also take bio-sil, omega 3, Vit D, B complex, a daily, and biotin...so I'm not sure if it's the monistat or not...but I'm growing "to the wall" for the next ten months. In August I'll evaluate my hair and see if I want fringe, a Demi color, etc.

HairFaerie
October 7th, 2011, 04:44 PM
I buy the generic store brand of Miconazale 4% so if the rumor was started by the Monistat company, they are losing money to the competition! :)

I have had no side effects (so far). I will know for sure if it made difference when I measure at the end of the month. Then I am not going to use it for a month and I will be able to see by exactly how much it made it difference (or not).

Conspiracy? I doubt it. I don't think it is well known to people outside of forums like this. If you talked to 100 people, I would say not very many have ever heard that Monistat helps hair growth. If you mention it to someone, they get a funny look on their face and say "Really?" Even if they know about it, I don't think they would use it. Most people just aren't that interested in growing long hair. That's just my opinion though.

Columbia River
October 7th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I do LOVE telling my close friends about using Monistat "COOTER CREAM" on my scalp and watch them totally break into giggles...and then go quiet and ask "Really?" ;) they are also noticing growth...3 weeks on cooter cream.

jeanniet
October 7th, 2011, 06:13 PM
I'm not so much worried about negative effects from long-term use as just simply against the idea of putting a medication on my head to speed up hair growth. If someone else wants to do it, that's their choice, but to me it would border on the obsessive, and I don't want to be that fixated on my hair.

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 7th, 2011, 06:47 PM
I use castor oil and I seem to get the same results as someone using monistat and with no ill side effects, so. Im good!

Shelly
October 7th, 2011, 08:15 PM
I've been doing Miconizole Nitrate treatments for about 3 weeks now. Yes, I do get headaches but I cannot blame the MN. I have suffered from migraine headaches for almost 33 years now. The first 2 weeks I was using it, my hair grew .5 inches. My shedding has decreased to about 25 to 30 hairs when I wash it. After having it in a bun for 2 days and take it out, I only lose maybe 5 to 10 hairs total. Normally I shed about 25 hairs per day. When I wash, I normally lose about 50 hairs normally. The reason for the extra shedding after it has stopped being used is because it does decrease shedding and all the hairs that would normally fall out on a daily basis, does not fall out.

For me, it has increased my hair growth. My hair normally grows about .25" monthly if it grows at all. I will be measuring my hair before and after each trim. I will be trimming every 8 weeks. My next trim will be November 6. I will be posting in my blog every time I trim. I'll put the measurement before the trim and after the trim along with pics. They will be posted under the "Trim Progress" category. Anyone interested is more than welcome to follow the progress. Back when we did the monthly measure-ins the first of the month, I always posted. Those are in the archives. Anyone who wants to can go find out what my normal growth is for comparison.

Those of you who are skeptical about using it or the long term side effects, that's ok and understandable but please don't start telling those of us that are using it that we're obsessed or something just because we want our hair to grow faster. It has taken me about 15 years to get my hair from about APL to where it currently is. Some of us need to do a lot more to get our hair to grow an inch. Some of us are ok with that. I, for one am not. At this rate I'll never have the hair I want.

I'm not trying to start anything but I have found some of the comments that have been posted offensive. I'm sorry if this post starts trouble. That is not the intention at all. I just don't like some of the comments that have been made.

A Note To The Mods: If any if you feel the need to delete this post, I will understand.

Columbia River
October 7th, 2011, 08:23 PM
I'm 40, came of age in the late 80s when teased, permed, highlighted, aquanet lacquered hair was "the it". LHC has taught me a whole a new way of hair care, as obvious as it is, I was "missing it", so now that I know better, I'll do better. The monistat is to help make up for lost time.

We are all on a hair care website together. Peace. ;)

KwaveT
October 7th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I would have issue with all the mass shedding that happens when you stop it. You would have a hard time affording to do this forever. You are going to have a lot of tiny hairs in your head as a result of the shedding all at once.

jeanniet
October 7th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I've been doing Miconizole Nitrate treatments for about 3 weeks now. Yes, I do get headaches but I cannot blame the MN. I have suffered from migraine headaches for almost 33 years now. The first 2 weeks I was using it, my hair grew .5 inches. My shedding has decreased to about 25 to 30 hairs when I wash it. After having it in a bun for 2 days and take it out, I only lose maybe 5 to 10 hairs total. Normally I shed about 25 hairs per day. When I wash, I normally lose about 50 hairs normally. The reason for the extra shedding after it has stopped being used is because it does decrease shedding and all the hairs that would normally fall out on a daily basis, does not fall out.

For me, it has increased my hair growth. My hair normally grows about .25" monthly if it grows at all. I will be measuring my hair before and after each trim. I will be trimming every 8 weeks. My next trim will be November 6. I will be posting in my blog every time I trim. I'll put the measurement before the trim and after the trim along with pics. They will be posted under the "Trim Progress" category. Anyone interested is more than welcome to follow the progress. Back when we did the monthly measure-ins the first of the month, I always posted. Those are in the archives. Anyone who wants to can go find out what my normal growth is for comparison.

Those of you who are skeptical about using it or the long term side effects, that's ok and understandable but please don't start telling those of us that are using it that we're obsessed or something just because we want our hair to grow faster. It has taken me about 15 years to get my hair from about APL to where it currently is. Some of us need to do a lot more to get our hair to grow an inch. Some of us are ok with that. I, for one am not. At this rate I'll never have the hair I want.

I'm not trying to start anything but I have found some of the comments that have been posted offensive. I'm sorry if this post starts trouble. That is not the intention at all. I just don't like some of the comments that have been made.

A Note To The Mods: If any if you feel the need to delete this post, I will understand.
Just a note: I said "to me it would border on the obsessive," and that's exactly what I meant. What's obsessive to one person may not be to another, and if it doesn't feel that way to you, more power to you. Most likely there's aspects of my hair care routine that others would find obsessive, and that's OK with me.

ETA: Right now I'm fixated on finding the perfect headwrap, so go ahead and call me obsessed. I can't argue that one! ; )

Lianna
October 7th, 2011, 09:26 PM
I've used it sometimes and it worked (I just prefer castor oil now, which works the same for me). I don't mind using any growth aids since I already wash my hair often, so isn't that much trouble for me.

While growing the pixie I wanted my hair to grow as fast as possible, that might have been a little obssessive but my hair was really short...I went from ear length to APL with trims in a year using these little tricks and I don't regret it, even though I opt for short hair now. :p

I wouldn't worry about growth aids so much if my hair was already long..(APL+) at the time. But I probably would still use it sometimes, who knows.

PixxieStix
October 7th, 2011, 09:40 PM
While I would do just about anything to get my hair to grow faster, (I already eat very healthy, calcium +D, flaxseed oil, regular exercise, deep conditioning treatments and general good hair care) I too am leery of "that of which we do not know of yet." If there was some definitive proof that putting Monistat on your head really, truly made your hair grow faster for nearly everyone, I'd be more tempted, but scared of the shed I'd have if I ever stopped.

I must be very naive, I would never have thought of a company starting rumors from within about their products just to sell more. BUT, what if there was a grain of truth?

Lianna
October 7th, 2011, 09:49 PM
The shed occurs because Monistat (and even castor oil) doesn't let the hair shed when it's supposed to...which means the hair will become thicker too. It doesn't make hair fall, the hair returns to normal once you stop it...pretty much like pregnancy hormones naturally do.

Columbia River
October 7th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Granted my stylist does tend to bring up "conspiracy theories" of all sorts, it's great conversation fodder...since neither of us want to waste our time on weather nor politics. However he has been in the hair business for twenty years at a edgy high volume place...so in ways I trust him, although it was put out as "maybe this could be...". He also brought up, have I came across why it works? That is what makes him suspect. I can handle a shed IF it happens. I take vitamins and supplements, eat well, have good hair, and treat it well...I'm not too worried about it thinning too much.

Columbia River
October 7th, 2011, 10:02 PM
My stylist was more skeptical because can anyone explain exactly why it works and why for some people not others? I feel they are very valid questions, because I want to know the same. ;) We focused more on that then the theory. Also once I read more about castor oil, I might switch. Monistat IS however working for me, so I will use it until I get my length and then cross over to castor oil. Most my vitamins I will continue on, because they are for my health in general and reflect in my hair.

jeanniet
October 7th, 2011, 10:05 PM
If they could prove it causes increased growth through clinical trials, they'd be marketing it that way (like Rogaine), but it may be that they're conducting trials that haven't been completed yet. Maybe in another few years it really will be marketed as a growth enhancer, but it'll have to approved by the FDA for that use before it'll happen in the U.S.

Shelly
October 7th, 2011, 10:38 PM
In the 3 weeks I've been using it, I've spent a whole big $5 on one tube which will probably last about 2 months so when it comes right down to it, it's not really that expensive. :lol:

Columbia River
October 7th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Shelly...I totally agree. I've spent more on spray, wax, and gels then "CC". Also with a Pixie I used to get it shaped every three weeks (now its a trim at three months), and I'm not really buying product anymore or color...so my cooter cream, cassia, biosil, and Argan Oil is either a financial wash, or I'm coming out ahead.

Alex Lou
October 7th, 2011, 11:09 PM
I don't see the harm in putting an anti-fungal on your head. It's over the counter and for mucous membranes, so it's not gonna hurt your scalp any, even in the long-term. However, I don't have enough evidence that it works. I know that some people here swear by it, and I'm not trying to put them down or say that they shouldn't use it if they want to. But the anecdotal evidence that I've seen just isn't enough for me to have any expectations of success. Although, placebo has been scientifically proven to work. So I guess the monistat may work in that respect. If only I believed...

Columbia River
October 7th, 2011, 11:21 PM
For me my hair seems to be growing rapidly, however...
1. Is it the monistat?
2. Has my vitamin and supplement "kicked in"?
3. When wearing Pixies I HAD to reshape every three weeks, so have I always been a fast grower and didn't realize it. I think my Puxie stylist commented on my hair growing fast, but there is a language barrier, so I'm not sure. (I go to a different stylist for my pixie...then today's stylist. Today's stylist is the one who I KNOW will deliver a perfect inverted bob or texturized my hair just right, etc.) I really didn't focus on it.

Lianna
October 7th, 2011, 11:29 PM
I think it doesn't work for everyone because it targets fungus (same with castor oil), and some people don't have a problem with that, their growth is already optimal. For me it wasn't a placebo effect because I measured before and after.

Columbia River
October 7th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Oooh! There's a fungus among us. ;) cause it seems to work for me too. I did notice a change in growth the first week that amazed me. Right now I have little fringe markers, like eyebrows, top of eyes, now below eyes.

pink.sara
October 8th, 2011, 02:28 AM
I've been using Daktarin (Miconazole nitrate 2%) since early 2009.
It does work for me as my hair grows less than 1cm without it and nearly an inch a month with.

It stops me shedding at all if I use it twice a week, then when I stop I shed a tiny bit more than normal for a few days. But it doesn't force hair to shed that wouldn't otherwise or cause any thinning.

Also it's probably not just the antifungal properties of the MN, quite a few of the "azole" group of topically applied creams have increased hair growth as a side effect.

Either way I do bother every now and again when I have some time on my hands, and I prefer it to castor oil as I find that (even diluted heavily) to be almost impossible to wash out of my thick hair.

infinity_girl
October 8th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Everything is a conspiracy if you are paranoid enough.

But seriously, one of Monistat's ingredients is castor oil. So it's not really a secret why it works so well. It's probably cheaper just to use castor oil though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castor_oil#Medicinal_use_of_castor_oil

Lianna
October 8th, 2011, 02:47 AM
Also it's probably not just the antifungal properties of the MN, quite a few of the "azole" group of topically applied creams have increased hair growth as a side effect.

Yes, but the only "sure thing" we know so far is that head without fungus will grow hair faster. I decided to stick to that since the posts wanted some "reason behind it". I've used other azoles with sucess too. :)

But seriously, one of Monistat's ingredients is castor oil.

We're not talking about just the Monistat name brand, but miconazole nitrate in general. I don't have acess to Monistat (unless I import) and general MN 2% is what I've always used and worked...and no castor oil in it.

sharicat
October 8th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Like all treatments talked about here, Monistat may or may not work for you. Coconut oil does nothing for my hair - but others find it amazing on their hair. Same with boar bristle brushes. Same with cones. Every individual head of hair is unique and nothing universally works for everyone. It gets said a 100 times here a day. Monistat is the same.

I use it because I can see visible results. I know my hair is growing faster when I use it. I don't know how it works exactly, but the same could be said for lots of products I use in general. If it's been deemed safe to use on such a sensitive area, that is reassuring enough for me, and I know I won't be using it forever. Just until I've grown out my awful wide fringe! :p It doesn't give me headaches and it doesn't make my hair shed, even when I have a break from it. But that's just me of course.

As an aside, excess shedding is an issue most people here worry about. Someone mentions it in relation to one product or practice, and from then on everyone worries about it. It's a side-effect none of us want. For one person saying XYZ causes excess shedding, there will be someone who has no issue with it. So anecdotal evidence is just that - anecdotal! ;)

Try things, and if they don't work for your hair, don't do them :)

Kristin
October 8th, 2011, 06:56 AM
I tried it for a bit, and it did work. I think part of the reason it worked for me was that it forced me to massage my scalp on a regular basis. I quit the MN well over a year ago, massage my scalp nightly, and- even though I only remember my vitamins about 50% of the time and am trim-obsessed- my hair has still grown A LOT.

BunnyBee
October 8th, 2011, 07:29 AM
I have used it before for a short time and it definitely works, but it's just too much of a pain in the butt for me to bother with XD

Shelly
October 8th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Some dandruf shampoos also have miconazole nitrate in them. I just don't like what those do to my hair and I don't have dandruf so there's no need for them. I'm in it for the hair growth. I want my hair to drag the floor at some point before I die. It's not going to happen at my normal growth rate.

Panth
October 8th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Another thing to throw out into the ether (and one of the many reasons I don't bother with Monistat). If you are abusing an antifungal by using it for reasons other than treating a fungal infection, you are helping to create antifungal resistance, just like the abuse of antibiotics (e.g. prescribing it to someone with a cold (caused by a virus!) to make them feel like they have something to help) helps create antibiotic resistance.

Now, antifungal resistance is no where near the problem that antibiotic resistance is, partly because fungal infections are far less common, partly because the abuse of antifungals is (and has been) far less common ... partly probably due to other reasons too. However, that doesn't mean it can't become a problem. Thrush that is resistant to common antifungals already exists and can cause problems with treatment.

Anyone abusing antifungals (and by that I mean using them for purposes other than treating fungal infections) is responsible if (or rather, when) resistance occurs. Personally, I like the idea of always being able to treat thrush and other infections if/when I get them, rather than forcing my body to get long hair more quickly...

[And that, I have to say, is my reasoning for it. Not passing judgement on others - I don't care if you decide to start/continue using Monistat. However, it would be nice if you at least read and considered what I wrote.] :blossom:

roodboerinnetje
October 8th, 2011, 11:26 AM
...I'm in it for the hair growth. I want my hair to drag the floor at some point before I die. It's not going to happen at my normal growth rate.

Shelly, me too!! Haha... some might call it a fixation. I call it a goal! :cheese:

roodboerinnetje
October 8th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Another thing to throw out into the ether (and one of the many reasons I don't bother with Monistat). If you are abusing an antifungal by using it for reasons other than treating a fungal infection, you are helping to create antifungal resistance, just like the abuse of antibiotics (e.g. prescribing it to someone with a cold (caused by a virus!) to make them feel like they have something to help) helps create antibiotic resistance.

Now, antifungal resistance is no where near the problem that antibiotic resistance is, partly because fungal infections are far less common, partly because the abuse of antifungals is (and has been) far less common ... partly probably due to other reasons too. However, that doesn't mean it can't become a problem. Thrush that is resistant to common antifungals already exists and can cause problems with treatment.

Anyone abusing antifungals (and by that I mean using them for purposes other than treating fungal infections) is responsible if (or rather, when) resistance occurs. Personally, I like the idea of always being able to treat thrush and other infections if/when I get them, rather than forcing my body to get long hair more quickly...

[And that, I have to say, is my reasoning for it. Not passing judgement on others - I don't care if you decide to start/continue using Monistat. However, it would be nice if you at least read and considered what I wrote.] :blossom:

That's a very interesting idea. I've only just heard about people using miconazole for hair growth in the last couple of days, and I'm reading everything I can on the subject before trying it (as I tend to do with any new undertaking). Have you personally known someone who's experienced this issue? Just curious :)

I'm considering trying miconazole for a measured amount of time, to see if it works for me. I don't think I'd use it for an extended period (say, for months and years on end) without giving my scalp a 'break'. Perhaps taking a break from constant use would help prevent any future resistance? At any rate, it's definitely something to think about.

Shelly
October 8th, 2011, 11:55 AM
I'll only be using it until I get the HF37.

Panth
October 8th, 2011, 12:12 PM
That's a very interesting idea. I've only just heard about people using miconazole for hair growth in the last couple of days, and I'm reading everything I can on the subject before trying it (as I tend to do with any new undertaking). Have you personally known someone who's experienced this issue? Just curious :)

I'm considering trying miconazole for a measured amount of time, to see if it works for me. I don't think I'd use it for an extended period (say, for months and years on end) without giving my scalp a 'break'. Perhaps taking a break from constant use would help prevent any future resistance? At any rate, it's definitely something to think about.

I've not personally known anyone who's had an antifungal-resistant infection. However, I have had issues with repeated thrush and one of the things my doctor suggested was that I could have been infected with a strain that is resistant to clotrimazole (Canasten). Luckily, that was not the case.

A quick google for "clotrimazole resistance" shows the NHS advising it being a possible cause for repeated thrush infections, plus a couple of scientific journal articles documenting it. So, it definitely is a potential problem.

EDIT: as for preventing resistance developing, well, that is very difficult. Basically, as far as antibiotics go, you want to be sure to kill of the entire infection (which is why you are told to take your entire prescribed schedule of tablets, NOT to stop taking them when you start to feel better). However, another key aspect is only using the antibiotic when it is entirely necessary, as every instance of use has the potential to select for resistance. Thus, when it comes to Monistat and hair growth, it would be advised (from an antifungal resistance prevention perspective) not to use it at all - it is not a necessary use, it is not treating an illness, and as such it is an unnecessary promoter of resistance and should not be done at all.

MinderMutsig
October 8th, 2011, 12:51 PM
I've not personally known anyone who's had an antifungal-resistant infection. However, I have had issues with repeated thrush and one of the things my doctor suggested was that I could have been infected with a strain that is resistant to clotrimazole (Canasten). Luckily, that was not the case.

A quick google for "clotrimazole resistance" shows the NHS advising it being a possible cause for repeated thrush infections, plus a couple of scientific journal articles documenting it. So, it definitely is a potential problem.

EDIT: as for preventing resistance developing, well, that is very difficult. Basically, as far as antibiotics go, you want to be sure to kill of the entire infection (which is why you are told to take your entire prescribed schedule of tablets, NOT to stop taking them when you start to feel better). However, another key aspect is only using the antibiotic when it is entirely necessary, as every instance of use has the potential to select for resistance. Thus, when it comes to Monistat and hair growth, it would be advised (from an antifungal resistance prevention perspective) not to use it at all - it is not a necessary use, it is not treating an illness, and as such it is an unnecessary promoter of resistance and should not be done at all.
I am a firm believer that MN works at least partly because it takes care of fungi on the scalp that effect scalp heath. That would mean it doesn't make the hair grow faster but by helping it grow to it's full potential because the energy that was used to fight this infection can now be used to grow healthy hair.

We all carry different kinds of bacteria and fungi on out body which are mostly harmless but they can cause trouble. One thing I see a lot in the MN threads is that people say MN diminished their itchy scalp. I think those people have a fungal infection going on that may otherwise be harmless but it does stunt hair growth. Even those who don't notice adverse effects before starting MN might have a lingering fungal infection. That would also explain why it works for some but not for others.

Alex Lou
October 8th, 2011, 12:57 PM
For me it wasn't a placebo effect because I measured before and after.That doesn't mean that it wasn't placebo. Placebo works! Placebo may actually make your hair grow!

If you are abusing an antifungal by using it for reasons other than treating a fungal infection, you are helping to create antifungal resistance, just like the abuse of antibiotics (e.g. prescribing it to someone with a cold (caused by a virus!) to make them feel like they have something to help) helps create antibiotic resistance.
This is absolutely true. It is like abusing antibiotics. Part of the problem with how we use it on hair is that we are diluting it. It would be like taking your antibiotic once a day when you were supposed to take it 3 times a day... However, I just don't think that there are enough women using it for hair to contribute much to fungal resistance. Fungal resistance will most likely happen from women misusing it when they are treating yeast infections. Such as women who only use it for a few days until the symptoms go away and then stop before the infection is really gone.

Columbia River
October 8th, 2011, 02:02 PM
...yeah! So no one else start using cooter cream, ya hear? ;)
Anyhow, if it is fighting a fungus among us that is hindering growth...then wouldn't that mean it is doing what it is supposed to be doing?

lastnite
October 8th, 2011, 06:34 PM
The shed occurs because Monistat (and even castor oil) doesn't let the hair shed when it's supposed to...which means the hair will become thicker too. It doesn't make hair fall, the hair returns to normal once you stop it...pretty much like pregnancy hormones naturally do.

Rogaine also has that effect, besides growing hair, it keeps the hair on your head in the growing phase - ie less shedding; when you stop using it your hair will then go into shedding phase once again. I think alot of products work like that, you have to keep using them to keep them working ;)

x0h_bother
October 8th, 2011, 06:41 PM
The generic would work just fine...I'm really not sure about the conspiracy theory.

mora
October 8th, 2011, 10:53 PM
I think it doesn't work for everyone because it targets fungus (same with castor oil), and some people don't have a problem with that, their growth is already optimal. For me it wasn't a placebo effect because I measured before and after.

I am a firm believer that MN works at least partly because it takes care of fungi on the scalp that effect scalp heath. That would mean it doesn't make the hair grow faster but by helping it grow to it's full potential because the energy that was used to fight this infection can now be used to grow healthy hair.

We all carry different kinds of bacteria and fungi on out body which are mostly harmless but they can cause trouble. One thing I see a lot in the MN threads is that people say MN diminished their itchy scalp. I think those people have a fungal infection going on that may otherwise be harmless but it does stunt hair growth. Even those who don't notice adverse effects before starting MN might have a lingering fungal infection. That would also explain why it works for some but not for others.

Could tea tree oil also be used to promote hair growth if anti-fungal activity helps hair grow? I haven't heard of tea tree oil related hair growth around here but Monistat and castor oil have been mentioned often enough that even someone as new as me is aware of them.

Columbia River
October 9th, 2011, 12:59 AM
I would use tea tree oil...however I think I'm seeing results with the MN and all the testimonials, I'm not wanting to change what is working for me.

Panth
October 9th, 2011, 05:24 AM

Well, if that theory is true then you would continue to have the improved growth rate after stopping using Monistat. Now, I've not really been interested enough to search the threads about it or anything, but the general consensus I seem to hear on LHC is that you have to use it constantly for it to work.

That would imply that a fair few people naturally have a damaging level of yeast infection on their scalp 24/7 that is only absent with constant antifungal treatment. Personally, I'm not buying that. It's rather implausible that it's that common to have a permanent yeast infection on the scalp that instantly re-establishes itself in the absence of antifungals.

This is absolutely true. It is like abusing antibiotics. Part of the problem with how we use it on hair is that we are diluting it. It would be like taking your antibiotic once a day when you were supposed to take it 3 times a day... However, I just don't think that there are enough women using it for hair to contribute much to fungal resistance. Fungal resistance will most likely happen from women misusing it when they are treating yeast infections. Such as women who only use it for a few days until the symptoms go away and then stop before the infection is really gone.

Having not read the Monistat theads, I didn't know about the diluting bit. That would make resistance development more likely as it means any yeast will not be killed as quickly, and so has more time under the selection pressure in which to develop resistance.

As for misuse of antifungals for thrush, well... It's plausible that using the topical creams could select for resistance, as you say, since women often only use those for the duration of the symptoms. However, here at least, the topical (external) cream is recommended to be used for the symptoms and it's advised to use an additional treatment for actually getting rid of the infection. That additional treatment can be an internal cream, a pessary or an oral tablet - however, all are single dose. If the treatment only consists of one dose, it is to be expected that one dose is enough to kill off all the infection without leaving any to develop resistance. This is rather different to common antibiotic use (e.g. for an ear, eye or throat infection) where the treatment is generally tablets 3x day for 5-7 days; there, there's much more scope for incorrect use.

So, although I agree that women incorrectly using antifungals for thrush are more likely to be the source of any antifungal resistance that develops, that hardly absolves people who misuse antifungals for uses other than treating fungal infections. Just because more people incorrectly use thrush treatments than use antifungals to promote hair growth doesn't mean that both uses are able to promote antifungal resistance and neither should (IMO) be done.

Alex Lou
October 9th, 2011, 11:16 PM
That would imply that a fair few people naturally have a damaging level of yeast infection on their scalp 24/7 that is only absent with constant antifungal treatment. Personally, I'm not buying that. It's rather implausible that it's that common to have a permanent yeast infection on the scalp that instantly re-establishes itself in the absence of antifungals.So true. Well, along with most everything else you said.

Lianna
October 13th, 2011, 02:22 PM
I believe tea tree oil would have a similar effect, but it's much more expensive (than castor oil), at least where I live, which is a humid tropical climate. That plus the fact that my head sweats everyday leads me to believe I have "more than average" fungi, if you will. My hair always grew slightly faster when I was on dandruff shampoos all the time a few years back.

Some people's hair (like mine) grow the average 0.5 inch, so many don't see it as "damaging fungus". But their potencial might be greater. I agree that few people grow less than the 0.5 inch (due to fungus or anything else).

lastnite
October 13th, 2011, 10:33 PM
I think neem is also anti-fungal..maybe that's why it's used in hair oils. but...I'm not sure I've ever seen a coochie cream with tea tree or neem in it, so maybe monistat does work differently.

owlathena
October 13th, 2011, 11:25 PM
I think neem is also anti-fungal..maybe that's why it's used in hair oils. but...I'm not sure I've ever seen a coochie cream with tea tree or neem in it, so maybe monistat does work differently.

Just wanted to point out that tea tree IS used to treat yeast infections (heavily diluted, of course) because of its anti-fungal properties, so it might be worth a try on the scalp. But there are side-effects if you are exposed to too much of it...so I'd be wary of that.

jojo
November 4th, 2011, 11:38 AM
I really don't see why some people are shocked about putting an anti fungal onto the scalp, its prescribed or can be purchased over the counter for all kinds of fungal infections which can occur anywhere on the body including the scalp.

I have used it and have had great results, though I am prone to fungal infections so maybe this is why? I have never had a huge fall out of hair after discontinuing it either.

We are all different and for some granted it won't work, but nothing sinister will happen to those who want to try it for one reason or another.

Panth
November 4th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I really don't see why some people are shocked about putting an anti fungal onto the scalp, its prescribed or can be purchased over the counter for all kinds of fungal infections which can occur anywhere on the body including the scalp.

It is not the application of an antifungal to the scalp that bothers me. It's the repeated, regular application (once a week, or even more frequently) of a medication when there are no symptoms of a fungal infection in that area.

As I have said before on this post, I think the use of antifungals (and other medication, e.g. antibiotics) for a non-standard purpose without the advice of a doctor constitutes abuse of that medicine. I believe the abuse of medicine is wrong, particularly (as with antibiotics and antifungals) when that abuse can actually result in the organisms becoming resistant to the drug, resulting in people who actually need the drug being unable to use it.

heatheradair
November 4th, 2011, 02:59 PM
I actually asked my professor about this. He is a physician. He said that some people have chronic (sometimes subclinical) fungal infections that can inhibit hair growth. Therefore, if you are one of these people, it may help your hair grow faster. If you do not have any kind of fungal infection, it won't do anything for you.

Panth
November 4th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I actually asked my professor about this. He is a physician. He said that some people have chronic (sometimes subclinical) fungal infections that can inhibit hair growth. Therefore, if you are one of these people, it may help your hair grow faster. If you do not have any kind of fungal infection, it won't do anything for you.

Yes... but if you have an infection, surely one use would be sufficient. If the mechanism of action was the antifungal effect, it would not require constant use as one treatment should clear up the infection.

If one treatment did not clear up the infection, or if the infection rapidly returned (e.g. within 2 weeks, which is a reasonable assumption for how often people use it here for hair growth), that would imply that the fugus is already resistant to the antifungal you are using or that the dose you used was insufficient to clear up the infection. In either of those cases, the repeated application of the antifungal comes under what I have called abuse of it, in that it is likely to result in resistance developing. In particular, repeated use of an antifungal or antibacterial at doses that are insufficient to completely clear the infection is just about the best way to force resistance to develop.

jojo
November 4th, 2011, 04:01 PM
It is not the application of an antifungal to the scalp that bothers me. It's the repeated, regular application (once a week, or even more frequently) of a medication when there are no symptoms of a fungal infection in that area.

As I have said before on this post, I think the use of antifungals (and other medication, e.g. antibiotics) for a non-standard purpose without the advice of a doctor constitutes abuse of that medicine. I believe the abuse of medicine is wrong, particularly (as with antibiotics and antifungals) when that abuse can actually result in the organisms becoming resistant to the drug, resulting in people who actually need the drug being unable to use it.

I get ya, yeah that is a concern, however on the monistat thread it is recommended that people take a break after 3 months. I do 3 months on and 3 months off, I even mentioned this to a dermatologist where I work as RN and he said it would not cause any problems from his point of view!

Panth
November 4th, 2011, 04:39 PM
I get ya, yeah that is a concern, however on the monistat thread it is recommended that people take a break after 3 months. I do 3 months on and 3 months off, I even mentioned this to a dermatologist where I work as RN and he said it would not cause any problems from his point of view!

Yes, but was that problems for you (i.e. skin problems, such as a dermatologist might be expected to be primarily concerned about) or problems total?

I'm not trying to attack you ... I just personally think that people should not misuse medication (i.e. use it for non-prescribed purposes without a doctor's instruction). I think it's much more important that antifungal medicine remains able to be used against nearly all fungal infections. When it comes to making hair grow a bit more a month, well, I think that's pretty low priority compared to treating actual symptomatic, diagnosed, problematic infections. The problem being that antifungal resistance would threaten our ability to treat infections ... and, though unlikely (due mostly to the small numbers of people it concerns), theoretically the Monistat routines people on LHC use are just the sort of thing that will induce resistance - subclinical doses, repeated often, continued over long periods of time.

ellen732
November 4th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Yes, but was that problems for you (i.e. skin problems, such as a dermatologist might be expected to be primarily concerned about) or problems total?

I'm not trying to attack you ... I just personally think that people should not misuse medication (i.e. use it for non-prescribed purposes without a doctor's instruction). I think it's much more important that antifungal medicine remains able to be used against nearly all fungal infections. When it comes to making hair grow a bit more a month, well, I think that's pretty low priority compared to treating actual symptomatic, diagnosed, problematic infections. The problem being that antifungal resistance would threaten our ability to treat infections ... and, though unlikely (due mostly to the small numbers of people it concerns), theoretically the Monistat routines people on LHC use are just the sort of thing that will induce resistance - subclinical doses, repeated often, continued over long periods of time.

From what I know, antifungal resistance from overuse of medication is not really prevalent. People are prone to antifungal resistance to medication primarily because of their own immune system compromise than the overuse of the medication itself. Did you read that there was a resistance to antifungal medication through overuse somewhere?

Panth
November 5th, 2011, 05:08 AM
From what I know, antifungal resistance from overuse of medication is not really prevalent. People are prone to antifungal resistance to medication primarily because of their own immune system compromise than the overuse of the medication itself. Did you read that there was a resistance to antifungal medication through overuse somewhere?

As I have said upthread, it is common practice in the UK that if you get a thrush infection within 2 weeks of self-treating for one via over-the-counter antifungals that you are advised to go to the doctor. Also, if you have more than a certain number of thrush infections per year you are advised to go to the doctor too. This is required to be written all over the information leaflet that comes with the over-the-counter antifungal medication.

The reason for this is because a highly likely cause is yeasts that are resistant to the common over-the-counter thrush treatment. This would imply that antifungal resistant yeasts are out there and are enough of a problem to implement a nation-wide program to deal with them.

... in any case, as I said before, I'm taking a hard-line approach in that any abuse of a medicine (particularly an antifungal/antibacterial) is wrong and should not be done. I agree that antifungal resistance is far less prevalent than antibacterial resistant, mostly because of the number of people using each treatment. However, personally I still think it is wrong to risk promoting resistance by using medicine for a completely non-essential need, no matter how small the actual risk (i.e. likelihood) is.

People are certainly allowed to disagree with me on whether it is wrong to use Monistat for hair growth! However, I ask that they read and recognise that there is a risk that they could promote antifungal resistance. I also think it is highly unlikely that Monistat actually promotes hair growth by treating subclinical infections (explanation in my previous comments). I think it's far more likely it's working by another mechanism, e.g. increasing scalp blood flow, and that those mechanisms could be easily re-created using a method that is far less risky to the population as a whole than Monistat use is, e.g. scalp massage.