PDA

View Full Version : Haircut today!

Amber_Maiden
October 7th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Going to get my hair cut today, and I'm terrified!
I'm actually getting it cut because my husband got his past shoulder length hair cut super short. He now has a typical man cut. He looks super good. I want to look super good as well, so I'm getting my end thinned because my hair is heavy, and I'm thinking about putting long layers in as well. I'm keeping the length, though half my friends are saying to get a bob done because it will be easier when I'm a mom, I'm about to graduate from university, and I'll look more grownup...
Who said long hair was only for the young???:confused::(

Rocket22
October 7th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Well I think the layers with your thick hair will be beautiful. I don't think short hair is easier I think it's a lot harder. But I'm sure whatever you do will be beautiful. Just be sure to let the hair dresser know exactly what you want.

princess03
October 7th, 2011, 12:30 PM
i was going to salon to cut my top layers a bit shorter and wasnt watchful enough the man cut off bunches I dont know how I didnt realize what was happening! even if youre talking to stylist be watchful just because they have license doesnt mean theres no mistakes .if you see too much hair being cut its probably too much, layers shouldnt be too thick check out Ultrabellas they r real pretty.
you can click here to see my haircut a year ago
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=79711

good luck!

Amber_Maiden
October 7th, 2011, 12:49 PM
i was going to salon to cut my top layers a bit shorter and wasnt watchful enough the man cut off bunches I dont know how I didnt realize what was happening! even if youre talking to stylist be watchful just because they have license doesnt mean theres no mistakes .if you see too much hair being cut its probably too much, layers shouldnt be too thick check out Ultrabellas they r real pretty.
you can click here to see my haircut a year ago
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=79711

good luck!

Thanks for the tip!

MrsGuther
October 7th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Going to get my hair cut today, and I'm terrified!
I'm actually getting it cut because my husband got his past shoulder length hair cut super short. He now has a typical man cut. He looks super good. I want to look super good as well, so I'm getting my end thinned because my hair is heavy, and I'm thinking about putting long layers in as well. I'm keeping the length, though half my friends are saying to get a bob done because it will be easier when I'm a mom, I'm about to graduate from university, and I'll look more grownup...
Who said long hair was only for the young???:confused::(

Do any of these people that told you it would be easier with short hair when you're a mom have kids? I have two children and my hair is right a hip length and I find it much easier than when it was shorter. I keep it up and out of the way of their curious little fingers.

Watch out for people who are just jealous of your hair, telling you "You should get a bob done." Make sure you only get a haircut that YOU want and that you're ready to live with.

I think long hair is for people of all ages. People that imply long hair is only for the young... well they can buzz off! People can have whatever length hair they want and it's no one else's business! I've got your back.

celebriangel
October 7th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Your hair probably doesn't need to be thinned - the layers will do a good enough job of reducing weight all by themselves.

Beware, cuts with layers which are short are more difficult than long layers, cause you can still put long layers up.

2 week rule! Be sure you're doing this because you *want* it, and not because other people think you should.

Amber_Maiden
October 7th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Do any of these people that told you it would be easier with short hair when you're a mom have kids? I have two children and my hair is right a hip length and I find it much easier than when it was shorter. I keep it up and out of the way of their curious little fingers.

Watch out for people who are just jealous of your hair, telling you "You should get a bob done." Make sure you only get a haircut that YOU want and that you're ready to live with.

I think long hair is for people of all ages. People that imply long hair is only for the young... well they can buzz off! People can have whatever length hair they want and it's no one else's business! I've got your back.

haha! Thanks for having my back! And NO none of them have kids!

Amber_Maiden
October 7th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Your hair probably doesn't need to be thinned - the layers will do a good enough job of reducing weight all by themselves.

Beware, cuts with layers which are short are more difficult than long layers, cause you can still put long layers up.

2 week rule! Be sure you're doing this because you *want* it, and not because other people think you should.

I made sure to get long layers! It looks great! This is actually the first cut I've ever had which I've liked!!! :D

mora
October 7th, 2011, 04:35 PM
I made sure to get long layers! It looks great! This is actually the first cut I've ever had which I've liked!!! :D
Congrats! :joy:(and this is selfish of me but I'd love to see any pics if you have them)

pinchbeck
October 7th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Long layers can add sexiness to longer hair. They make hair dance differently and generally give a light airy pretty look. I am glad you like your layers - it sounds like your stylist is a keeper since your request to not be scalped was honoured.

Amber_Maiden
October 7th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Congrats! :joy:(and this is selfish of me but I'd love to see any pics if you have them)

Will take pics this weekend!:D

heartgoesboom
October 7th, 2011, 05:29 PM
you can't listen to people with short hair. my best friend wants long hair but she said she just can't because it starts to feel itchy. so, she cut it really short. she's been telling me i should cut my hair short because everyone is doing it. lol.

Lostsoule77
October 7th, 2011, 06:16 PM
I'm glad you like your cut. :) It's always nice when we can get what we want.

Emmental
October 7th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Will take pics this weekend!:D

I am looking forward to seeing the pictures and I'm glad you like it.

I have to say, I somewhat cringed that non-parents were telling you that short hair is easier with kids. Why do people (without children) still say this? I'm not a long-hair-or-bust type of person and I know everyone has an opinion, but for me, as a parent, long hair is much easier during this stage of my life. :)

Amber_Maiden
October 7th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I am looking forward to seeing the pictures and I'm glad you like it.

I have to say, I somewhat cringed that non-parents were telling you that short hair is easier with kids. Why do people (without children) still say this? I'm not a long-hair-or-bust type of person and I know everyone has an opinion, but for me, as a parent, long hair is much easier during this stage of my life. :)

It's weird eh? I don't get it either. :(:confused:

kidari
October 7th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Woohoo can't wait for the pics! Keeping the length, not getting it thinned out, and adding long layers is exactly what I would have done. Short hair is only good if you have straight medium-thick hair that never ever frizzes and even then it's high maintenance because you need to get it cut more often than when it's long. Short hair is worn down and cannot be put up so it also takes longer as it needs to be styled almost daily. It's only good if the person genuinely wants a change and chooses to cut it short to cut off damage or try a drastic new look. I agree your friends probably told you to cut it to a bob because they are secretly envious.

PixxieStix
October 7th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Can't wait to see those pictures! ^.^ I am glad you like the look, and yes, when you find a good hairstylist, keep 'em!

And, in my opinion, long hair is really only for those who are willing to take care of it, regardless of age. Short hair, long hair, doesn't matter how old you are, if it looks horrible, that's that. Personally, I looooove seeing long hair on older women, and some day hope to be a renegray myself!

Also, my short hair styles were always a pain, I miss the days all I needed to do was throw my hair up in a ponytail or a hair stick and walk out the door, instead of styling my hair every morning to make it look right. Once my hair is healthy and long again, may I never have to do that for the rest of my life. (Personally).

Amber_Maiden
October 8th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Hmmmm... now that I washed it i think she did more than dust my length... I think she may have said she was dusting and actually took off more... I washed my hair this morning and it seems that might have been hat happened... :( We're talking about 3in here...

mora
October 8th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Hmmmm... now that I washed it i think she did more than dust my length... I think she may have said she was dusting and actually took off more... I washed my hair this morning and it seems that might have been hat happened... :( We're talking about 3in here...
Wow, 3 in :blueeek:. That's definitely not dusting.

Maybe it's not actually that bad. Do you still like the layering? I guess it's almost sacrilegious to say this here but the length will grow back soon.

Yozhik
October 8th, 2011, 12:54 PM
:( Hopefully she didn't dust off too much!

I hope you're still pleased with the cut now that you've washed it.

How does it look?

Amber_Maiden
October 10th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Now that it's washed and has gone back to being wavy, it looks shorter than I thought it was... She definitely didn't know what I meant by "long layers". But yes... It will grow...:o:rolleyes:

mora
October 10th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Now that it's washed and has gone back to being wavy, it looks shorter than I thought it was... She definitely didn't know what I meant by "long layers". But yes... It will grow...
Awww, that's really too bad. :( I think it's really hard to find a stylist who really does layers well.

UltraBella
October 10th, 2011, 07:39 PM
How long is your hair now and where does your shortest layer hit ? We all still really want to see pictures !

Mesmerise
October 10th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Ooooh many hairdressers don't seem to understand "dusting" or "trim" or even "long layers" (I asked for long layers and got layers to my chin... I was thinking... maybe APL to BSL layers as long...). But I'm sure it looks great anyway.

And as for those suggesting a bob :rolleyes: argh I wanna slap people silly when they say that... or say it'd be easier with kids. What? Easier to have hair that's too short to pull back effectively from a baby's fingers?? Hair that needs tons of styling to make it look good, cause you can't just tie it back when you're having a bad hair day?? And as for looking more grownup... pfft... I am glad I don't look grownup if it means I need short hair :p.

hendrickx
October 10th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Since when is putting it up in a clip not grown up?

Amber_Maiden
October 11th, 2011, 06:31 AM
The shortest layer hits about 3in past my shoulder.... I guess thats not that bad... But I am no longer past waist anymore... I think I'm probably just at waist now.

mora
October 11th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Admittedly, I'm not super familiar with them but it seems like most of the Victoria's Secret hair is between APL and BSL and none is past waist. So your hair's probably just as thick as and longer than that (without even needing extensions!). ;)

I bet you can still have that look you were going for. It's probably a small consolation to your length loss, though.

Amber_Maiden
October 12th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Admittedly, I'm not super familiar with them but it seems like most of the Victoria's Secret hair is between APL and BSL and none is past waist. So your hair's probably just as thick as and longer than that (without even needing extensions!). ;)

I bet you can still have that look you were going for. It's probably a small consolation to your length loss, though.

That does make me feel better! Thanks mora! :D

mom2fourgirls
October 12th, 2011, 07:31 AM
From a mom with four kids I would have to say that long hair by far is the easiest to deal with and I got the bob "mom" cut after I Had my daughter 5 months ago... My hair was at hip....I wish to god that I never did that cuz I miss my long hair and I guess, I wanted something different for having long hair for the longest time :) I am now a little bit past shoulder lenght hair and can't wait to reach waist again!!!

Amber_Maiden
October 12th, 2011, 11:50 AM
HAIR PICS POSTED UNDER "NEW HAIR"... I took the pics when my hair was slightly wet... Sorry about the quality of the pics. Will take better ones soon!