PDA

View Full Version : To fringe or not to fringe?

redmj
October 7th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I need some help from my LHC friends. I have a very round face and pretty curly hair. I am wanting something new and am considering fringe. I was thinking some long swoop fringe but am just not sure. I know short ones will make my face look wider than it is long.

Side note: I almost called the thread to bang or not to bang but that just didn't sound right. :oops:

PinkyCat
October 7th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Thats a tough one. Fringe & curls usually don't like each other unless you straighten the fringe. Have you had them before?

redmj
October 7th, 2011, 12:07 PM
No not really. I had longer-than-chin-length ones before but always wore my hair down so it was harder to notice them. Now I always wear my hair up and I want something I just don't know what.

tanpopokitty
October 7th, 2011, 12:07 PM
I think fringe and curly hair look ADORABLE together! I sometimes dream of getting a perm for this reason, haha. You'd probably want to straighten your fringe, but since you trim it constantly and it stays short, I never mind straightening them. The damage never has time to show up! Also, I have a round face as well and I find that a side part with a side fringe looks great! It really helps out my face shape. :)

tanpopokitty
October 7th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Oh, and also, if your fringe was pretty long I think you could go without straightening and still look lovely.

cheetahfast
October 7th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Side note: I almost called the thread to bang or not to bang but that just didn't sound right. :oops:

:laugh: That would have been hilarious!

My curly hair didn't like fringe. It looked weird curly, when my hair was straightened it looked wonderful so I'm thinking it wasn't my hairdressers fault.

Amber_Maiden
October 7th, 2011, 12:12 PM
It's really up to you, you know your hair best. If you don't mind keeping up the trimmings with a fringe then do it!

redmj
October 7th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Normally I can brush out my hair (in this case it would just be the fringe) and it gets pretty straight. I'm just really scared I'm gonna hate it. I know it will grow out if I end up not liking it but it will take so blooming long.

MrsGuther
October 7th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Don't do it!!! Fringe plus curly hair equals nightmare! I should know. I have wavy/curly hair and used to have thick fringe once upon a time. It was miserable, never looked good like I wanted it to, and it took YEARS to grow out.

turtlelover
October 7th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Try a very, very thin, transparent fringe right at the hairline. It only takes SECONDS to straighten w/ a flat iron, and isn't hard to sweep back with the rest of your hair if you ever want to grow it out. MUCH less hard to deal with than full bangs, yet it can really soften updos.

ellen732
October 7th, 2011, 02:56 PM
For what it's worth, I just cut a bit of bangs in two weeks ago and I don't like them at all. I usually wear my hair up and I miss being able to pull it all back. I do wear the bangs with a barrette most of the time now. I feel like the bangs always need attention and they personally are just too much work for me.

redmj
October 7th, 2011, 02:59 PM
That is exactly what I want them for. With my hair pulled back in up-dos, my face looks like a giant moon pie. That is so not flattering.

pinchbeck
October 7th, 2011, 04:13 PM
For some reason the combination of curly hair and straight bangs doesn't look right. I can't help but stare. It appears curly haired people can wear curly bangs and it looks darn cute - so go for it! Here is a link to a woman with curly bangs and curly hair: http://www.curly-hair-styles-magazine.com/curly-hair-with-bangs-04.html

kettle
October 7th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Hmmm. Having not long plunged for a fringe myself, I find I'm in the "just go for it!" camp. The thing with this is that hair does grow back, even if it does take a while. A haircut is not a tattoo. HOWEVER.

I'm only a 2a, verging on a 2b at my very waviest, so it's pretty easy for me to just comb my fringe through as it dries, and it looks fine. So very low maintenance. Others have mentioned the regular trimming - this could be an issue. Having hair in your face is another. Things like fringe-greasies could be a bugger (though dry shampoo is your friend there).

All things to consider, though you likely won't know how you'll feel about them until you actually have a fringe. I thought trimming would be a pain in my bum, but it's turned out to be one of my favourite hair activities... I can barely leave the damn thing alone!

What I would say is this. Do you have any other inclination as to what might solve this urge for a change? Or, you mentioned wanting to change the look of your hair when it's up - is there another way to do that? Softening techniques, such as this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=87), or different updos, such as a crown braid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ&feature=channel_video_title)?

Or anything else that's crossed your mind?

Personally I think if you're going for a longer, more side-swept fringe, this would be a) potentially easier to handle/blend in with the rest of your hair, and b) grow out quicker. Actually, c), I expect a side-swept fringe would be easier to pin back if you're having a "non-fringe" day. Even I can just about do this with my blunt-cut fringe.

Not sure if any of that will be helpful; essentially, you've got to go with your gut. And if you're REALLY not sure, don't do it.

archel
October 7th, 2011, 05:41 PM
My hair is that strange "I don't know if I'm wavy or not" texture, but since I blow dry my bangs with a round BBB they always look good. I let the rest air dry (and decide if it wants to be wavy that day or not) and all is well.

racrane
October 7th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I have a round face and I prefer keeping my bangs at chin length. I don't like them shorter. However, hair grows. Bangs grow faster, it feels. So I would say get them and you can always figure out if you want them longer.

silverjen
October 7th, 2011, 07:33 PM
What about face-framing layers?

redmj
October 7th, 2011, 07:41 PM
I really didn't want to cut that much of my hair. If I just do fringe I can braid it into my hair if I want to.