PDA

View Full Version : hair progress(pics) & question

princess03
October 7th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I have been growing out a really bad haircut from Nov 2010 so Im almost at one year

top left: Nov 2010
top right:October 2011
bottom left: October 2011 just with all pulled back
bottom right: the way I heat style to tame the thickness while it grows at least 2 more in then ill leave it natural

well I maintained at the length for almost a full year and now I gained my thickness back I think I should of just cut those 4-5 inches because it was almost transparent but I couldn't accept the loss sooo here I am finally back to my normal hair...When it was heavily layered I didn't heat style but now its in a stage where its very thickand if I wear it down naturally its not heavy enough yet to weigh down and I get a fro mostly in the remaining front framing layers that are left...

My question: I plan on dying it brown sometime in march 2012 I'm waiting for my henna hair to fade/wash off/or watever ...but I wanted to gain my waves I had pre henna and was considering Amla powder and oil but my concern is will my hair with amla still be able to get dyed brown or is it like henna and penetrates the hair where I wont be able to?

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb391/prettyinpinks/IMG_3455.jpghttp://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb391/prettyinpinks/photo-3.jpg

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb391/prettyinpinks/photo-2.jpg http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb391/prettyinpinks/photo-4.jpg

Oct 7 2011 oiled with castor oil before wash
http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb391/prettyinpinks/00dd5ec4.jpghttp://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb391/prettyinpinks/0a12a3e7.jpg

ericthegreat
October 7th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Great progress. Your hair is quite full. I love how wavy it is, keep it up!

kanaka
October 7th, 2011, 11:08 AM
lovely hair and its so thick. that's a great progress :D

jujube
October 7th, 2011, 11:14 AM
I love the last picture. Your hair is flawless.

Rocket22
October 7th, 2011, 11:20 AM
OMG that is picture perfect hair! what an amazing difference from a year ago!!!

princess03
October 7th, 2011, 11:39 AM
thanks everyone its was hArd and frustrating having to maintain for so long now I cant wait to just dusting just when needed and keeping my length!

Mayflower
October 7th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Wow you have like my dream hair! What a great progress you've made in one year.

MrsGuther
October 7th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Wow! You've gained LOTS of thickness. Your hair looks amazing! :)

PinkyCat
October 7th, 2011, 12:22 PM
I love progress photos! They are so inspiring. Your hair looks great.

hendricks82
October 7th, 2011, 12:55 PM
So thick and gorgeous! I had the same thing done to my almost waist length hair. I went for the chop. Now mine is mostly even and BSL, but then ends look much better than with that severe V cut. I cut off 5 inches and almost had a melt down, but the results were good and what is there is healthy and ready to grow.

Kudos on being so patient! The work definitely paid off for you.

chihuahuaesque
October 7th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Your hair is so gorgeous and thick! :D

Yozhik
October 7th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Beautiful progress! I love your natural wave. :)

Sorry...I don't know anything about henna/amla, etc, so I can't give you any advice regarding coloring it.

KatjicaMjau
October 7th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Oh, I sooo love the thickness of your hair! Quite the opposite of mine :/

Macaroni
October 7th, 2011, 03:30 PM
That is a HUGE difference, you have beautiful hair.

Juicematic
October 7th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Amazing hair!!!

Rosethorn
October 7th, 2011, 03:42 PM
That's a LOT of growth! And your hair is so pretty!

amyhenna
October 7th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Dude, as everyone has stated, your hair is awesome.

Now, for your questions. Firstly, I'm not sure your henna is going to fade by March 2012. From what I know of henna, it doesn't fade ever. As for using amla to brown it out, I have heard of amla being used in conjunction with henna for a browner effect, but then I've heard others say to skip the amla and use buxus if it's brown you're after. Also, from what I've read, mixing it with oil may not be the best idea, as the oil could prevent the plant from joining with your hair follicle. I would look into this more before doing it if I were you. First, the mix (I've heard of people using amla with buxus and henna- there are definitely multiple ways of trying it) but also the method (to use oil or something else, like a conditioner for a "gloss" over your existing color). I would look into these things on hennaforhair.com

amyhenna
October 7th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Awesome hair person-

I'm not sure if I was clear on the point that from what I've read, amla may not yield results if used alone because without the henna, it has no way of bonding with the hair. Same with buxus. But yet I have heard of people doing a buxus gloss to ash out their henna red hair with some green. So I don't know what the real story is. That is why I suggested reading up on it. I'm still not seeing one consistent answer on such things. I have bought buxus but haven't tried it yet. I'm 100% henna right now, with old henna/indigo mix growing out in the middle, and really old bleached with boxed hendigo mix over it on the ends.

heartgoesboom
October 7th, 2011, 07:16 PM
i love your waves!

silverjen
October 7th, 2011, 07:29 PM
I was able to fade my henna by about half by washing with shampoo bars, which lift the cuticle. But i had to use the bars for months. It's a slow process. I've heard of other people here who lighten their henna with honey lightening or Sun-in. I have no idea how amla would play into that. And--huge caveat--I have NO idea how any of those methods would affect indigo. Definitely do your research first.

PixxieStix
October 7th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Thank you so much for the photos! I look at my hair nearly every day, telling myself that I can't just expect a miracle overnight but still getting so frustrated over how long it is going to take. It'll be better once it is long enough that I can put it up every day and not worry about it, but wow, what great inspiration.

Your hair is gorgeous, and congratulations on the thickness gained. I'm sorry I can't answer your question about the amla but I'm sure someone here has an answer for you. :) Keep up the good work and great hair!

Maktub
October 7th, 2011, 07:37 PM
I LOVE your hair ! Gorgeous !!!

Tell us everything. ^^

infinity_girl
October 8th, 2011, 03:11 AM
Wow, you have amazing hair! Love the thickness, shine and colour.

Night_Kitten
October 8th, 2011, 03:41 AM
Your hair is beautiful, looks great :)
I'm no expert on henna, but from what I know henna only gives you problems if your'e trying to bleach, if you want a dark color then the most henna can do is leave an undertone (which will only be visible in direct sun).
To fade it you could try heavy pre-wash oilings, when I hennaed oiling always faded it somewhat... (but my hair doesn't absorb dyes very well to begin with, so I'm not sure how well it will work for you)
Maybe someone who has more experience with henna can give you more accurate information...

morrigan*
October 8th, 2011, 04:37 AM
Wow, your hair is just beautiful. I'm jealous of you :D, just kidin' but you truly have a beautiful har.

Sunny_side_up
October 8th, 2011, 04:43 AM
Your hair looks wonderful, looks so much fuller as the layers have grown out, thats great progress your hair looks so healthy:)

princess03
October 8th, 2011, 11:40 AM
So thick and gorgeous! I had the same thing done to my almost waist length hair. I went for the chop. Now mine is mostly even and BSL, but then ends look much better than with that severe V cut. I cut off 5 inches and almost had a melt down, but the results were good and what is there is healthy and ready to grow.

Kudos on being so patient! The work definitely paid off for you.

thank you! im glad youre at bsl I know the frustration we had the same problem! I couldn't be as brave as you and I kept the length probably a mistake because for the last year I felt I had no progress but I knew just length wise because I could feel my thickness getting there :)

roodboerinnetje
October 8th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Yet another comment just to say: you have amazing hair!! Great work on growing out that haircut and taking care of your hair! :)

I'm trying to grow out many years of layers upon layers... your photos give me inspiration! Thanks! :D

princess03
October 8th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Awesome hair person-

I'm not sure if I was clear on the point that from what I've read, amla may not yield results if used alone because without the henna, it has no way of bonding with the hair. Same with buxus. But yet I have heard of people doing a buxus gloss to ash out their henna red hair with some green. So I don't know what the real story is. That is why I suggested reading up on it. I'm still not seeing one consistent answer on such things. I have bought buxus but haven't tried it yet. I'm 100% henna right now, with old henna/indigo mix growing out in the middle, and really old bleached with boxed hendigo mix over it on the ends.

youre funny :) and thank you! wish I had read this post before plastering my head with just pure amla mixed with water it was a fail lol I ended up adding amla oil to help it sticking... didn't like results could've been a # of things though like the bonding prob, the cheap amla ($3 at indian grocery store),or the non organic amla oil(its a commerial product) Overall I wouldnt use that product again. I'll use your tip next time I purchase organic amla powder thank you!

princess03
October 8th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Your hair is beautiful, looks great :)
I'm no expert on henna, but from what I know henna only gives you problems if your'e trying to bleach, if you want a dark color then the most henna can do is leave an undertone (which will only be visible in direct sun).
To fade it you could try heavy pre-wash oilings, when I hennaed oiling always faded it somewhat... (but my hair doesn't absorb dyes very well to begin with, so I'm not sure how well it will work for you)
Maybe someone who has more experience with henna can give you more accurate information...

thanks for the compliment :) ive started oiling with amla and castor oil I will also be using evoo probably mix them all for pre wash oiling
Thanks for the tip!

princess03
October 8th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Thank you so much for the photos! I look at my hair nearly every day, telling myself that I can't just expect a miracle overnight but still getting so frustrated over how long it is going to take. It'll be better once it is long enough that I can put it up every day and not worry about it, but wow, what great inspiration.

Your hair is gorgeous, and congratulations on the thickness gained. I'm sorry I can't answer your question about the amla but I'm sure someone here has an answer for you. :) Keep up the good work and great hair!

Im glad it helps others I know it takes lots of patience... thats why the extension hair industry is rolling in $$ lol

I wouldnt stop touching my hair i was so upset with that hair cut

for a few months if I wore it down I couldn't bare wear light shirts it was always black b/c it looked more decent
you'll get there too :)

princess03
October 8th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Thanks everyone this made me feel so much better because I had been so frustrated with being stuck in the same length but I appreciate all your compliments and I'm glad it helps others waiting too :)

x0h_bother
October 8th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Dream hair :)

Avital88
October 8th, 2011, 07:04 PM
omg i want your hair!!!

LittleB
October 8th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Your hair is unreal! So gorgeous.

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 8th, 2011, 10:57 PM
So thick. :o I LOVE IT.

Aimskylove
October 8th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Wow beautiful and great progress! Congrats! :)

leeyah
October 9th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Your hair is gorgeous! Makes me really nostalgic about my BSL... But I'm growing it again, and these pictures are a true inspiration. Thanks!