PDA

View Full Version : Ripping sounds with Mason Pearson

buttercupmcgee
October 7th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Well I did it, I succumbed to temptation and bought a Mason Pearson pure boar bristle brush, and a rake (wide tooth comb.)

Last night I used them both for the first time, on dry hair. First I finger combed, then used the rake until it was totally tangle-free. I then used the boar bristle gently, starting at the ends and moving up to the top, flipped head over, did the same, flipped back.

I kept hearing these "screeeeeeeeeep screeeeeeeeeep pop pop" sounds, kind of like that horrid noise I hear in the locker room when someone tears through her wet hair with a plastic brush.

I do believe I was being very gentle, going practically in slow motion, but I can always try to be even gentler.

I was just wondering if anyone else who owns this brush or one like it has noticed this, and if maybe it's not ripping necessarily but something else? Maybe that's just how the hair sounds when brushed. It's been ages since I used a proper brush so I can't recall. My old BBB was more like a baby brush, it just glided over the surface. Hence this purchase.

I can't imagine that a brush of this quality with this many positive reviews is damaging if used gently on tangle-free hair.

Hmm....:disgust:

Amarante
October 7th, 2011, 10:01 AM
That sounds kinda terrifying... 0.0

I don't have a MP, by my BBB doesn't make noises like that. I try to use it only on dry, freshly oiled hair, and I start from the scalp and slowly work my way down to the ends. I use it to distribute the oil from my scalp down the length of my hair.

Madora
October 7th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Well I did it, I succumbed to temptation and bought a Mason Pearson pure boar bristle brush, and a rake (wide tooth comb.)

Last night I used them both for the first time, on dry hair. First I finger combed, then used the rake until it was totally tangle-free. I then used the boar bristle gently, starting at the ends and moving up to the top, flipped head over, did the same, flipped back.

I kept hearing these "screeeeeeeeeep screeeeeeeeeep pop pop" sounds, kind of like that horrid noise I hear in the locker room when someone tears through her wet hair with a plastic brush.

I do believe I was being very gentle, going practically in slow motion, but I can always try to be even gentler.

I was just wondering if anyone else who owns this brush or one like it has noticed this, and if maybe it's not ripping necessarily but something else? Maybe that's just how the hair sounds when brushed. It's been ages since I used a proper brush so I can't recall. My old BBB was more like a baby brush, it just glided over the surface. Hence this purchase.

I can't imagine that a brush of this quality with this many positive reviews is damaging if used gently on tangle-free hair.

Hmm....:disgust:

I don't own a MP either but your brush should not sound like what you describe.

I think your problem with strange noises might have something to do with how you are using your brush.

When brushing bend at the waist, with all your hair in front of you and thoroughly detangled, start at your NAPE and slowly brush down the hair to the ends. Follow each swipe of the brush with the palm of your other hand to cut down on static. Keep brushing this way until all hair has been thoroughly brushed.

Now, while still in the bent position, part your hair from nape to forehead so that you have two sections. Take your right hand and grab the bottom of the hair on your right. Do the same with the left hand side hair. Stand erect, still holding the hair in each hand.

Take the hair in the right hand and gently place it over your right shoulder and let it fall down your back. Do the same with the left side. Style as usual.

Every time you fling/toss/throw your hair around, you run the risk of tangling. Thus, the more control you have over your hair (holding it instead of tossing it), the better.

If you brush your hair standing erect (no bending at the waist), then just start at the top of the head and slowly brush down to the ends. Don't start at the ends and work up. As always, your hair should be completely detangled before brushing. Hope this helps.

skyblue
October 7th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Oh gosh that happened to me too! I bought a really stiff BBB brush (not your brand) and it tore up my hair! I later I found just a cheap con air BBB brush with softer bristles and what a difference! Of course now I have a ton of broken hairs that I have to wait to catch up with the rest of my hair but at least now I know to make sure to use softer brushes.....sighs
PS stop using that brush eeekkk!

PinkyCat
October 7th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Maybe the pop pop was static?

buttercupmcgee
October 7th, 2011, 12:08 PM
I don't own a MP either but your brush should not sound like what you describe.

I think your problem with strange noises might have something to do with how you are using your brush.

When brushing bend at the waist, with all your hair in front of you and thoroughly detangled, start at your NAPE and slowly brush down the hair to the ends. Follow each swipe of the brush with the palm of your other hand to cut down on static. Keep brushing this way until all hair has been thoroughly brushed.

Now, while still in the bent position, part your hair from nape to forehead so that you have two sections. Take your right hand and grab the bottom of the hair on your right. Do the same with the left hand side hair. Stand erect, still holding the hair in each hand.

Take the hair in the right hand and gently place it over your right shoulder and let it fall down your back. Do the same with the left side. Style as usual.

Every time you fling/toss/throw your hair around, you run the risk of tangling. Thus, the more control you have over your hair (holding it instead of tossing it), the better.

If you brush your hair standing erect (no bending at the waist), then just start at the top of the head and slowly brush down to the ends. Don't start at the ends and work up. As always, your hair should be completely detangled before brushing. Hope this helps.

Thanks Madora! I will try this method. I must admit I do a fair amount of flipping and tossing between brushing.

For the first part, when you bend from the waist but before you part your hair, is it meant to be pushed forward over your face? Am I brushing the under layer at this stage?

I love how precise and articulate your responses always are, btw. Very helpful.

StephanieB
October 7th, 2011, 12:25 PM
For the first part, when you bend from the waist but before you part your hair, is it meant to be pushed forward over your face? Am I brushing the under layer at this stage?
Yes.

The method Madora has described for you is the George Michael method of brushing that I was taught at the Madora Long Hair Heaven salon.

You are brushing your under layer first, while bent with your hair upside down. Then, following Madora's instructions, you will then brush the top layer of your hair while standing upright.

Madora
October 7th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Thanks Madora! I will try this method. I must admit I do a fair amount of flipping and tossing between brushing.

I love how precise and articulate your responses always are, btw. Very helpful.

You're welcome, buttercupmcgee!

Yes, when you bend at the waist, all your hair is in front of you, like a curtain. You detangle your hair slowly, a little bit at a time, as described.

The brushing is from the nape (and back of the head) down to the ends. Then what I do is brush slightly up, out and down, that is (still bent at the waist..place the bristles against my forehead and brush up into the front hairline an inch or two, lift the brush up slowly then bring it out in front of you and down the strands to the ends.

I'm not a fan of tossing/flinging my hair about since I loathe snarls with a passion. The less you have to detangle, the better it is for your hair.

buttercupmcgee
October 7th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Yes.

The method Madora has described for you is the George Michael method of brushing that I was taught at the Madora Long Hair Heaven salon.

You are brushing your under layer first, while bent with your hair upside down. Then, following Madora's instructions, you will then brush the top layer of your hair while standing upright.

Ah, wonderful, thanks!

MrsGuther
October 7th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Sounds horrifying!!!! I would not advocate using a brush that makes one's hair snap-crackle-pop!!! :/

StephanieB
October 7th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Sounds horrifying!!!! I would not advocate using a brush that makes one's hair snap-crackle-pop!!! :/
The point is that, used properly, a good BBB shouldn't do that to your hair.

Buttercupmcgee, according to her own description, wasn't using the BBB with the proper technique.

Hopefully, the correct technique will be good for her hair.
And if not - then you will end up being correct - that it is not good for her hair type.

archel
October 7th, 2011, 05:27 PM
I have very delicate hair that breaks easily and my MP BBB does not do this. Perhaps the rake is not detangling enough? That comb has extremely wide teeth and I think is supposed to be used for wet hair. I have the "fine" MP comb and I use this to detangle from the ends up before I use the BBB and I never hear any breaking. I think the problem could be the comb and not the brush?

KwaveT
October 7th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Ripping sounds. That is kind of frightening. I was thinking about getting one of those BBB at one point. I have a Conair one and it seems to work fine with me.

jeanniet
October 7th, 2011, 06:20 PM
You will hear some noise from the bristles, but it really shouldn't sound like ripping. When I use an MP brush, I make sure my hair is thoroughly detangled first (I use a Tangle Teezer), and then divide my hair into two parts and brush from the top of my head down. I don't use the upside-down method because with my hair type and texture it causes too many tangles and damage.

swearnsue
October 7th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Just an idea, look at your brush and see if there are any broken hairs in the bristles. If you lay down after brushing check your pillowcase for broken hairs too. That would be to verify that hairs are being broken, hopefully not though.

buttercupmcgee
October 7th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone! I think I solved the problem tonight....I just clarified and did an SMT, and once my hair was fully dry I tried again, no bad noises. It glided right through.

I think that maybe our hair is more susceptible to snarling and breaking if there's too much build-up. I did not know this! As someone who never uses product beyond oil, I didn't think my build up would make that big of a difference.

I also tried something else per Madora's recommendation...I detangled with my fingers and then the wide tooth comb on dry hair before using the brush, but then I also repeated these steps after tossing my head back upright, instead of just having at it again with the brush, even gently.

(Alas I have to flip it back, my hair's too short to gently lay it anywhere after brushing upside-down, it's just a massive poofy explosion at that point:))

I must say I'm relieved. So if any of you experience this down the line, maybe you need to clarify or moisturize :o

Madora
October 7th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Glad to hear you solved your problem, buttercupmcgee! Yes, that buildup can be irksome in the extreme which is precisely why I use as little stuff as possible on my hair and dilute both my shampoo and conditioner.