PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to weigh in on my hair type?

AprilElf
March 14th, 2008, 02:24 AM
On first joining LHC in December I classed myself as 2a for my first hair type classifier.
But that was based on this photo for which my hair was brushed and brushed ...

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=145&pictureid=3333

Then I read about the proper way to treat your hair before determining type. That is, wash, detangle and air dry. So then I started thinking I'd be 2b.

But today I took this picture after washing, detangling and air drying ... 2c maybe? (http://homepage.mac.com/annsofie.henriksson/hairtyping/PhotoAlbum22.html)
http://pics.livejournal.com/nulomiel/pic/000s2x51

savi
March 14th, 2008, 02:56 AM
I'm no expert but it seems you have some curls in there.. I'd say 2c.

PatGear
March 14th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Yes, I'm thinking at least 2c or maybe even 2c/3a. You're much curlier than I am and when I did my hair typing thread, it was almost unanimously 2b (even with some 2b/2c).

kettle
March 14th, 2008, 03:10 AM
If you're a 2a then I want my money back!! (I'm a 2a and would kill for your spirals and waves!) I'm no expert, but having seen the other 2cs on this board, I'd say you're at least 2c. Either way you have absolutely stunningly gorgeous hair!

AprilElf
March 14th, 2008, 04:19 AM
Awww, thank you kettle. :)
I must say I was quite surprised by how curly it looks in the photo. You don't see quite the same effect by pulling it around in front to have a look, do you? :o

Thank you savi and PatGear for your opinions - I was even wondering about 3a, too.

*sets out a plate of cookies for anyone else who wanders by*

(errr ... will get around to changing siggy sometime ... )

Meli
March 14th, 2008, 05:28 AM
I'm not very good at hairtyping but I completely agree with the others who have answered. At least 2c. That's some thick and lovely wurly hair you've got there!

*grabs a handful of cookies from the plate*

Leisha
March 14th, 2008, 05:37 AM
Wow, gorgeous hair!!! :cloud9:
I would say 3a.

redcelticcurls
March 14th, 2008, 07:16 AM
I'd say 2c

spidermom
March 14th, 2008, 07:58 AM
It looks like 3A to me.

Neon Gloss
March 14th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Possibly 2c/3a... Like mine, but MUCH thicker.

*takes a cookie*

Shermie Girl
March 14th, 2008, 08:02 AM
*Sets a pot of coffee down by the cookies and gets out the cream.*

I'd split the difference. 2c/3a. :D

Your hair is loverly. :cheese:

FrannyG
March 14th, 2008, 08:15 AM
What beautiful hair! I'd say 2c/3a. :)

Euphony
March 14th, 2008, 08:30 AM
COOOOOKIES, COFFEE! YES!!!

I'd say 2c/3a, very pretty hair indeed!

darkwaves
March 14th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Lovely hair! It looks very thick, too.

In that picture, it looks more 2c than 3a to me because there are many S-waves, and I don't see spirals.

But I wouldn't be surprised if, with more care and moisture, and less handling, those waves fell into complete spirals, and you moved to a full 3a. (Some of that may be going on near the bottom of your picture, on the right, already.)

eta -- your hair reminds me of mine. do the waves and curls fly away after a few days?

Teacherbear
March 14th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Looks GORGEOUS first of all . . . and I agree, 2c. I'm wondering if with a tiny bit of coaxing if your hair will spiral into curls.

jojo
March 14th, 2008, 09:18 AM
id say your a 2c and with some encouragement are bordering 3a, lovely hair

redcelticcurls
March 14th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Lovely hair! It looks very thick, too.

In that picture, it looks more 2c than 3a to me because there are many S-waves, and I don't see spirals.

But I wouldn't be surprised if, with more care and moisture, and less handling, those waves fell into complete spirals, and you moved to a full 3a. (Some of that may be going on near the bottom of your picture, on the right, already.)

eta -- your hair reminds me of mine. do the waves and curls fly away after a few days?

That's how I would have explained it if I had come up with decent words... :)

Cichelle
March 14th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I'd say 2c. I also do not see spirals, but lots of beautiful waves. Lovely hair!

redcelticcurls
March 14th, 2008, 10:00 AM
I do find it interesting to see the differenfces in what a curly considers a "curl" and what straighties and wavies see as a "curl." Perspective is interesting.

Shell
March 14th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Going against the grain here--I see a lot of spirals! Up to 2/3 especially if they are underneath too. I'd put you at at least 2c/3a, but am leaning towards 3a as your dominant type--only part of the top seems "wavy," and that may be from weight.

maskedrose
March 14th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I definitely agree with 2c/3a! Its gorgeous!

Now for the coffee and cookies :)

getoffmyskittle
March 14th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I'd say solid 3a due to those corkscrews you have on the bottom. I think the waves on top are from the weight and I bet if you used some gel or curl cream or something (what is it the curlies are using these days?) and plopped you'd have solid curls top to bottom.

Elfling
March 14th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Wow..simply gorgeous hair.

Ms Monnie
March 14th, 2008, 11:09 AM
*takes a cookie*

I vote 2c, I could see it being a 3a too with different circumstances and treatment. Whatever it is, it's very pretty.

I also find it interesting what straighties and wavies see as a curl versus the curlies. I think whenever we see a lock that turns in on itself we see it as a curl no matter how loose and drawn out it is.

prosperina
March 14th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I have a similar problem. If I brush and then try to hair type it's 2a, but honestly I'm probably more 2b/2c. I would say yours is a solid 2c and, not to mention, gorgeous. :)

Unnamed
March 14th, 2008, 12:20 PM
In the pic, I'd probably call it 2c/3a (instead of just 2c, as I've not seen many wavies at all with that tight of waves), and overall it really looks more like curly hair, IMO--not necessarily due to curls (as it's hard to pick 'em out), but the way it's growing...as I also believe the 'straighter' part at the top is due to weight/length, as it's hard to tell, but it looks like there's pretty defined waves even up at the top.

I also think that with keeping the curly part in mind (I have no idea what curlies do for their curls, though!), that your hair would be a full 3a, maybe even a tad more depending on what your hair does.

Alaia
March 14th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I'm going with 3a.

Your hair is gorgeous, no matter the hair type. :flowers:

darkwaves
March 14th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Going against the grain here--I see a lot of spirals! Up to 2/3 especially if they are underneath too. I'd put you at at least 2c/3a, but am leaning towards 3a as your dominant type--only part of the top seems "wavy," and that may be from weight.
AprilElf -- go for 2c/3a! And check back... I'll bet it will be even curlier next time.

Stagecoach
March 14th, 2008, 08:08 PM
FIrst off ***THUD*** That's amazing hair!!!! Wow, it's gorgeous!

Ok, now for typing, I'd say your a 2c/3a!

JennQ
March 14th, 2008, 08:19 PM
2c, 3a, hmm... Was "oodles" an option?
Gorgeous!

(Sorry, I'm really only here for the cookies.)

AprilElf
March 16th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Hey, you guys have appetites! We need more cookes! ;)

Among these replies I've counted 11 who said 2c, 9 who said 2c/3a and 5 who said 3a.
So I'll go with the average, split the difference, etc., and claim 2c/3a. :)

I never imagined my hair could look like this. I think it may have changed over the years, though (ie. getting more curl). My mum used to have long wavy hair. She wears it short now and it is quite curly. She commented to me not long ago that mine would probably go the same way if I cut it short.

darkwaves said:

your hair reminds me of mine. do the waves and curls fly away after a few days?Well, this is a pic I took yesterday (one day after washing and the previous pic):
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=145&pictureid=3354
(Er yes, same outfit, but it's just what I happened to change into after work ... I haven't worn it two days straight! :eek: )
Hair has been - braided for the night, combed in the morning, infinity bun for 9-ish hours, combed again)

I think I've got some interesting times ahead, trying to coax the curls to stick around longer!

Thanks for all the help!:D

jessie58
March 16th, 2008, 12:52 PM
I see that you have already decided on 2c/3a. I would totally agree. Your first picture looks very much like mine but much longer and your last picture looks exactly like mine when it has been in a bun and then brushed out.

I hope my hair grows out exactly like yours, it's simply gorgeous. I think I found a new hair idol in fact.

AprilElf
March 17th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Woot! Hair-twin! :cheese:

Thank you for the very kind comment. :o

Cichelle
March 17th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I do find it interesting to see the differenfces in what a curly considers a "curl" and what straighties and wavies see as a "curl." Perspective is interesting.

I was noticing that, too. :)

Yedda
December 27th, 2008, 08:36 PM
How can I tell what hair type I am? I see the hair type classifier in user cp but it doesn't give a description of what each type actually is.

HairColoredHair
December 27th, 2008, 08:42 PM
How can I tell what hair type I am? I see the hair type classifier in user cp but it doesn't give a description of what each type actually is.

Here's the Hairtyping Guide (text) : http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8954 and the guide (photo) : http://homepage.mac.com/annsofie.henriksson/hairtyping/PhotoAlbum17.html

Remember, it's for untouched hair... wash, detangle in the shower... air dry. :)

Addy
December 27th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Check out the sticky at the top of the page.

This link is a visual. :D
http://homepage.mac.com/annsofie.henriksson/hairtyping/PhotoAlbum17.html

Addy
December 27th, 2008, 08:43 PM
You beat me HairColoredHair!

Yedda
December 28th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Thanks haircoloredhair and addy...after reading this I think I am a 1a/f/i. That's funny, I guessed that before I even knew what it meant...I just figured my hair is thin, fine, and straight, what else could it be?:)