PDA

View Full Version : Braid problems.

pepperpot
October 7th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Hi people.

When my hair was longer, eg. waist length and below, an English braid used to be my most comfortable means of getting my hair out of the way and protecting it, especially when I was sick and in bed.

Nowadays I just can't seem to make it comfortable. It looks good, but it always seems to end up with the whole weight hanging off one strand or pulling in odd places, no matter how hard I try. French braids are even worse for some reason. Its so uncomfortable, I just can't wear braids for any length of time and I don't understand what I'm doing wrong or how to remedy it.

I don't understand why it was never a problem when it was much longer, it just took no effort at all to do it and it was always comfortable. I would have thought that the extra length and weight would have made this problem more likely? Maybe I'm just thinking about it wrong? Is it because its still too short perhaps? Even though an English braid looks good at this length, it doesn't feel right.

I'm a bit disappointed, I was looking forward to my hair being long enough again to do an English braid (I like simple styles). If I have to wait a bit longer for more length, I can live with that though.

Any solutions? Or has anyone else experienced this at this length but found it got better as it got longer?

Thanks in advance.

JDzWife
October 7th, 2011, 08:15 AM
I've been having the same problems with my braids. I can start the braid but then have to bring it around the side and in front to finish the braid, which gives it a "twisted" look. I am getting more tangles than if I would have left it in a ponytail. Maybe I'm not starting the braid right???

Madora
October 7th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Hi people.

When my hair was longer, eg. waist length and below, an English braid used to be my most comfortable means of getting my hair out of the way and protecting it, especially when I was sick and in bed.

Nowadays I just can't seem to make it comfortable. It looks good, but it always seems to end up with the whole weight hanging off one strand or pulling in odd places, no matter how hard I try. French braids are even worse for some reason. Its so uncomfortable, I just can't wear braids for any length of time and I don't understand what I'm doing wrong or how to remedy it.

I don't understand why it was never a problem when it was much longer, it just took no effort at all to do it and it was always comfortable. I would have thought that the extra length and weight would have made this problem more likely? Maybe I'm just thinking about it wrong? Is it because its still too short perhaps? Even though an English braid looks good at this length, it doesn't feel right.

I'm a bit disappointed, I was looking forward to my hair being long enough again to do an English braid (I like simple styles). If I have to wait a bit longer for more length, I can live with that though.

Any solutions? Or has anyone else experienced this at this length but found it got better as it got longer?

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried lace braiding? Here's a video link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

Braiding short hair can be a bit difficult but it is doable. Are you sure your sections are even? Are you braiding too tightly? Hope you find the answer to your problem! Good luck!

littlenvy
October 7th, 2011, 09:10 AM
I'm going to watch this tread for replies from our wonderful braiding artists. I find that I have braid broblems too. My first few loops at the beginning of my braid always look loopsided no matter what I do. Once I get going the braid is nice and neat but the beginning is so messy I can never wear it outside the house :(

bna_rapunzel
October 7th, 2011, 10:04 AM
My only suggestion is practice. Sit down, and experiment. Hold your hands differently than usual, just try to figure out what is most comfortaable to give you the best braid. And detangle. After every single bit of hair is added, detangle the rest of the length. You will have smooth braids. As for bringing the braid in front of you and developing a twist, hold your hands to follow the "twist" until you can see that its all even. It all comes with practice.
My 100% never fail updo is a dutch braid with the length pinned in a bun to my head with spinpins. I hardly ever have issues, just work with your hair, take off your rings and bracelets, and don't give up. Braids are sooo beautiful and if you braid right, that bad boy can hold for two days!! Woo! :) good luck.
Madora gave you a brilliant link for lace braids.
There are a couple youtube channels I frequent, where I've learned all my tricks. I'm not sure if I can name names on here but if you'd like to know, just PM me. :)

pepperpot
October 8th, 2011, 02:23 AM
As for bringing the braid in front of you and developing a twist, hold your hands to follow the "twist" until you can see that its all even. It all comes with practice.

Oh that wasn't me that was one of the people who replied to me. As I said in my post, the braid always looks perfect but never feels as comfortable as it did when my hair was longer.

ETA: Sorry I meant perfectly ok, not perfect! Was in a rush when I typed that.

pepperpot
October 8th, 2011, 02:24 AM
Have you tried lace braiding? Here's a video link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

Braiding short hair can be a bit difficult but it is doable. Are you sure your sections are even? Are you braiding too tightly? Hope you find the answer to your problem! Good luck!

Thanks for the link. That looks like a good one to try.

Kristin
October 8th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Well, you can try Dianyla's English braid: http://www.longhaircommunity.com/archive/showthread.php?t=23652
It involves v-shaped sectioning.

And for getting it straight after you can't braid behind your head, try flipping your head upside down and finishing it that way.

All of us have awkward lengths where we have to learn new strategies for a time. Don't get too frustrated. :)

skyblue
October 8th, 2011, 10:32 AM
I do notice one thing, the more you braid the better you get at it and your hair also becomes trained sorta speak, I don't really know how to explain it but it's like muscle memory, you do a move long enough your body just does it lol!
Oh hey I just tried the style in the video Madora!! It's really cute! Easy and looks good too and even with my length I was able to do it pretty easily thanks for posting it!

Madora
October 8th, 2011, 11:29 AM
I do notice one thing, the more you braid the better you get at it and your hair also becomes trained sorta speak, I don't really know how to explain it but it's like muscle memory, you do a move long enough your body just does it lol!
Oh hey I just tried the style in the video Madora!! It's really cute! Easy and looks good too and even with my length I was able to do it pretty easily thanks for posting it!

You're right on target, Skyblue! The more you braid, the better you become. Over time your fingers sort of "memorize" how to hold the strands, the angles, the tension, and before you know it, a previously difficult style is not so hard after all.

Glad you enjoyed Lillith Moon's lace braiding video.

et--cetera
October 8th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Well, you can try Dianyla's English braid: http://www.longhaircommunity.com/archive/showthread.php?t=23652
It involves v-shaped sectioning.

And for getting it straight after you can't braid behind your head, try flipping your head upside down and finishing it that way.

All of us have awkward lengths where we have to learn new strategies for a time. Don't get too frustrated. :)

I really wish the pictures weren't broken on the tutorial :(

Madora
October 8th, 2011, 12:50 PM
I really wish the pictures weren't broken on the tutorial :(

et--cetera..maybe this will help:

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=23652

Rats..pics don't show. Sorry! If I remember correctly, Dianyla's hair was drawn back into a sort of pie shape:

______
\ / This was the hair on the crown. It was combed back and it became the center strand of the braid
\ /
\ / All the remaining hair on the right side was combed back and became the right section to be braided in
All the hair on the left side was combed back and became the left section to be braided in

It has been a while since I saw the photos..but I remember that pie section as I used it myself at times.

Yozhik
October 8th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Or maybe it's where you're beginning the braid? If you're having problems both with French and English braids, maybe you're beginning them too far up the head, rather than at the nape of your neck -- if I make my braids start lower down, I think they are less likely to pull. :shrug:

Just wanted to throw it out there in case it helps anyone.

I do usually like to make Dianyla braids, though, because I like how they look better. :)

MrsGuther
October 8th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Hi people.

Thanks in advance.

I seem to be having this problem with certain braids too! :( It's really frustrating when the braid is tugging in one section or another. I got pretty frustrated last night when I was trying to do double french braids. After about 5 minutes I just gave up. Ughhhh...

pepperpot
October 9th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Or maybe it's where you're beginning the braid? If you're having problems both with French and English braids, maybe you're beginning them too far up the head, rather than at the nape of your neck -- if I make my braids start lower down, I think they are less likely to pull. :shrug:

Just wanted to throw it out there in case it helps anyone.

Thanks for that suggestion. That could well be it. When my hair was very long I was able to start lower, below the nape of my neck. Now if I do that there isn't much hair left to braid. I probably just need to wait for a bit more length.

Thanks I think I have my answer!

ETA: Yep that was it, just tried it! In fact I do have enough length now to braid my hair even after starting it lower down like I must have when it was longer. I hadn't realised how much length I had gained lately. I've still been braiding it as if it was a few inches shorter. Problem solved! BIG THANK YOU! :D

lizdini
October 9th, 2011, 08:18 AM
I've been having the same problem as the OP lately! Glad I'm not they only one (I guess?).