PDA

View Full Version : Ponytail circumference has shrunk from 3.25 inches to three inches

Becky9679
October 7th, 2011, 06:58 AM
A while ago I started keeping track of my ponytail circ. because I tend to get very paranoid about shedding. I've been measuring every couple of weeks for the past few months and I've consistently been at or around 3.25 inches. However on Monday I measured and it was just over 3 inches. Thats a quarter inch loss in the couple of weeks since I last measured which I know is not a massive amount but it's still a bit of a concern. I have no idea why this could have happened, I'm doing nothing whatsoever differently and my scalp feels normal. I haven't even noticed any more shedding than I usually do. The only thing I can think of is that I've had a cold this week but I have no idea if illnesses affect shedding. Does anyone have any ideas or is it actually normal for your ponytail size to fluctuate a little?

Mesmerise
October 7th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Honestly, a loss of that size would have to come from some serious shedding, and as it's only been a couple of weeks (and you haven't noticed shedding) I'd say there has to be another explanation!

While it doesn't sound like a much, it actually is a fairly significant difference, which is why I think it can't be due to shedding, because you'd literally have to lose hundreds of hairs daily to get that sort of difference in a couple of weeks.

Was your hair cleaner or dirtier than usual? Have you changed your hair care products? There are a few things which can cause the hair to show a lower circ, just because it's more compactable.

adiapalic
October 7th, 2011, 07:33 AM
To give you another frame of reference, I've lost from 3.75" to 3" since January, and I've been shedding gobs more than usual. To the point that it makes me sad to comb. It's taken that long for me to lose .75" with huge amounts of shedding... I would think that within a few weeks of losing .25" you would have noticed something.

The only thing I can think of (and I'm not being facetious :o.) is that there was a possible measurement malfunction. It is easy to measure .25" off one in direction of the other when doing pony tail circumference (for me at least). But since you measure frequently and have had consistent results up 'til now, I'm not sure what it could be.

Just keep an eye on that hairbrush/comb and the shower drain.

MsBubbles
October 7th, 2011, 07:37 AM
It's difficult, in my opinion, to get a reliable measurement of the ponytail circumference.

Also, whether I have oils, aloe, cones, or not, in my hair, also can make a quarter inch difference. If the humidity where you live has changed, possibly with the changing temps and season, that might have something to do with it, too.

Becky9679
October 7th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Thanks for your replies! I shed a hell of a lot anyway, always have done, and it seems like more since I started washing less and wearing my hair up more often, but I honestly haven't noticed significantly more shed than usual in the past couple of weeks. Last time I measured was 20 September and it was actually just over 3.25.

I'm very much hoping that either incorrect measuring or my current hair condition is the culprit!

DuckyDot
October 7th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I think you'd have to lose a lot of hair to get such a loss. When I had shedding after illness (I was very very ill) I lost 2 inches of circumference in about 3 months. But (This is the important part) my shedding had increased from about 10 hairs or less a day (I have a very low shed rate) to hundreds and hundreds of hairs. So if you haven't noticed a massive increase in shedding then I would say it's most likely incorrect measurements (my circumference measurements change from anything from 3.5 to 3 inches!) The most accurate measurement method would probably be the way you feel your hair is!

:)

skyblue
October 7th, 2011, 11:25 AM
I get a different number every time I measure lol!
It went from just at 2 inches to 2.25 then back down again lol
and my hair is not shedding any more then before, maybe try taking a couple of measurements
when your checking cause just the slightest change in placement can make a huge difference ;)

Aqua Gal
October 7th, 2011, 11:41 AM
I had a huge problem with shedding a few years back. I actually gave up on measuring, because I think there were too many variables for me. I was all over the map with numbers and getting frustrated.

Measuring can be helpful, but go with your gut. Do you feel like there's a problem? If so, I would trust that feeling and go from there.