PDA

View Full Version : will i ever get a ponytail

scotty810
October 7th, 2011, 05:30 AM
ok so whenever I try and make a ponytail like so, it's fine till I go outside

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq27/scottboy81/hair/p.jpg

I have all these like shortish hairs on my head though that are like 5-10 cms odd long that I can't do anything with. I've ruffled them up a bit to exaggerate them so you can see but all I need is a slight wind and they all come out. looks a bit like those guys you see with a comb over in a breeze

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq27/scottboy81/hair/p3.jpg

to try and compensate for these hairs and try and get as many of them as a I can under control I have to do a high ponytail like so and then tie it in to a low ponytail.

http://i430.photobucket.com/albums/qq27/scottboy81/hair/p2.jpg

it's why I haven't tried anything like braids, there would be so many lose hairs. also why I wear my hair out most of the time because tying it back doesn't work.

anyway is this normal does anyone else suffer with this. Only thing I can think off is I have hair that sheds alot. Since my hair is 2 and 1/4 years old these hairs are not the ones I had 2 years ago since they are too short.

sorry if pictures are too big, have to fit my big head in there

WaitingSoLong
October 7th, 2011, 05:34 AM
I think you have it right, that it is new growth. Everyone has it because everyone sheds every day. Altho of people use small amounts of oils to tame their "halo", as it is called. If you don't use a conditioner, this would also help tame the halo.

French braids may actually help, because the hair is secured at shorter lengths but not all guys want to rock a french braid.

I like the double pony, you can even do a triple.

Alas, I use hairspray to tame mine. I know not many would advocate that.

Aredhel77
October 7th, 2011, 05:36 AM
Have you considered using a gel product to smooth them down?

I think the second style with the two bands looks good by the way.

I think many of us suffer from these flyaway hairs...certain hair textures just lend themselves to it. I've got wavy/wurly hair so my hair is never going to look slick. It looks to me that your hair might be naturally coarse which may be contributing. Nice thickness!

They don't necessarily look as bad as you might think though :)

dementedkitten
October 7th, 2011, 05:41 AM
I use a teeny tiny bit of coconut oil for my 'halo' .. any more and it'll look greasy. The second style, with the two bands looks really nice by the way :)

scotty810
October 7th, 2011, 05:45 AM
a triple pony tail, hmm never heard of that.

I think the only hair product I have in my house is some wax from the 90's when spikey hair was in fashion. probably not the best to be putting it in my hair, would have to wash it out every day

WaitingSoLong
October 7th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Check your kitchen! Perhaps you have some olive oil? Really, just a drop is all you need.

Buggheart
October 7th, 2011, 06:12 AM
I love the look of the double pony! That looks really good on you. I agree with the others who suggested using a bit of product to get those stray hairs to behave a bit better for you. I'm thinking gel or some Bedhead Manipulator or even a little dab of that V05 stuff in the tube (do they even still make that?)

MiamiPineapple
October 7th, 2011, 06:22 AM
I also had a lot of hairs like this. Taking Biotin really helped them grow out and go away.

redmj
October 7th, 2011, 06:41 AM
I like the double pony. Maybe try a fine tooth comb and some hairspray.

Of the Fae
October 7th, 2011, 07:18 AM
I have a lot of loose hairs as well, but usually they blend in with my longer hairs.
I like the second look also!
Maybe some smoothening conditioner would help? It works for me, it makes the hairs
blend in easier with the others, because they get less springy :)

IanB
October 7th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Hi Scotty, Looks like you have a mighty fine pony tail there already! It's always a problem getting all the hair tied in. I too still have that problem, worse on windy days. I suppose (and hope) it gets easier as it get a bit longer. This shot was taken this morning! Good luck Ian

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=115487&albumid=8063&dl=1317993964&thumb=1

pepperpot
October 7th, 2011, 07:40 AM
I actually like the stray shorter hairs because they make my ponytails and updos look less severe by softening the look. I know not everyone feels this ways though.

GRU
October 7th, 2011, 08:01 AM
I put a squirt of Aloe Vera Gel (I use this kind (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fruit-Of-The-Earth-Aloe-Vera-Gel-12-oz/10314797)) and a few drops of oil (my hair likes sweet almond or grapeseed) and rub it between my hands to blend fully, then smooth it over the brushed-back areas.

It helps to soften the fly-aways (and with my curls and coarse hair, there are ALWAYS fly-aways!) without making it gel-hard or oil-greasy... kind of a happy medium between the two.

Madora
October 7th, 2011, 09:15 AM
For the sake of your hair, I hope you'll reconsider using the ponytail to confine your hair.

From the photograph, it looks to me that you're showing signs of traction alopecia and thinning hair loss along the front hairlline. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

Have you tried a small amount of coconut oil to tame those whispies?

Anje
October 7th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I've always got some of that fuzz, and lately I've got a lot (crop of new growth, now getting to an annoying length where I think it really should be tied back and several inches shy of actually being able to reach my bun). Some of them, too, are just hairs from around the face that have a short terminal length of only a few inches. I think most people have at least some of those, and some have more than others.

Assuming you're like me and the fuzz is new growth rather than broken hairs, there's only so much you can do. Product will help it be held down, but when you get a big batch of new growth from time to time, you're just going to have to deal with lots of short hairs.

For what it's worth, I don't think it looks like traction alopecia so much as the standard masculine hairline, which often has high corners on the forehead. But really tight hairdos are out anyway -- you don't want any breakage that will further contribute to the escaped hair fuzz.

GRU
October 7th, 2011, 10:36 AM
For what it's worth, I don't think it looks like traction alopecia so much as the standard masculine hairline, which often has high corners on the forehead. But really tight hairdos are out anyway -- you don't want any breakage that will further contribute to the escaped hair fuzz.

Ditto -- just a widow's peak, not a problem of some sort.

omgitssarah
October 7th, 2011, 10:50 AM
It looks like your hair tie has a metal bit on, I would reccomend you use ones without any metal. I like the two-ponytail look, by the way. =D

racrane
October 7th, 2011, 11:15 AM
I have a ton of these, don't worry. I use a little bit of coconut oil to smooth them down. I then put my hair in a half up, then braid the rest of the section. If you like a braid you could try that? It keeps things out of the way for me.

Cassie 123
October 7th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Ponytails are a bit of a problem in that the band itself weakens a few hair strands each time you wear it, and a few strands each day break right where the band was, and before you know it you are wondering why you have so much short stuff that can't be held. That's why buns and braids are preferred around here.

Braiding wet hair, or dampening hair with water from a spray bottle before you braid it, can help it all stay together.

GRU
October 7th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Ponytails are a bit of a problem in that the band itself weakens a few hair strands each time you wear it, and a few strands each day break right where the band was, and before you know it you are wondering why you have so much short stuff that can't be held. That's why buns and braids are preferred around here.

I think this is highly dependent upon hair structure and the elastic that is used. My hair is on the coarse side and doesn't break whenever you look at it sideways, and I don't get breakage from metal-free cloth-covered elastics. But I know there are others here with very fine hair that can break with just the slightest bit of pressure. So that's a YMMV type of thing (like just about everything around this place! :lol:).

tigereye
October 7th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Aloe Vera gel makes mine stay down nicely for the first while. Usually after a few days they stay down, because of the combination of (a tiny amount of) natural oil from my scalp and the residual aloe, until I wash it again; another reason why I only wash my hair once a week.

Sookie
October 7th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Have you tried Kimberly's defrizz spray? Lot of people claim that had success.