PDA

View Full Version : BB brush for shed prone hair.

tanpopokitty
October 6th, 2011, 11:54 PM
I've been really into the idea of daily brushing lately since I've been stretching my washes out and because it makes my scalp feel a lot cleaner and nice, but I think I am losing a lot of thickness! I feel like my hair is falling out a ton. I want to be able to distribute the oils in my hair and have that nice scalp feeling from brushing, but I don't want to pull all my hairs out! Is there a BB brush anyone can recommend for my hair type? Or just something more gentle for hair that falls out easily?

I googled this earlier and got a little bit of information such as to use more spaced our bristles, but I'd rather get some nice advice from LHC users. :) Also, links to brushes I can buy that are under 30 dollars would be great! Or pictures of example brushes.

BunnyBee
October 7th, 2011, 12:48 AM
BBBs don't work for everyone's hair, maybe yours is too delicate? Some BBBs have nylon bristles as well as natural, you don't mention which yours is..
If you're sure the hair's coming out from the root and not breaking then you could just be having a seasonal shed and those hairs would come out anyway.

I use a Tangle Teezer (http://www.tangleteezer.com/index.php) for brushing and lose very minimal hairs with that. They ship to USA but i'm not sure what the postage would be like...
Here is the thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=9334&highlight=teezer) for Tangle Teezer :)

Also don't assume you're losing thickness, measure the circumference of your ponytail periodically to check (but don't obsess!) some people just naturally shed more but their hair grows faster to compensate!

Madora
October 7th, 2011, 09:26 AM
I've been really into the idea of daily brushing lately since I've been stretching my washes out and because it makes my scalp feel a lot cleaner and nice, but I think I am losing a lot of thickness! I feel like my hair is falling out a ton. I want to be able to distribute the oils in my hair and have that nice scalp feeling from brushing, but I don't want to pull all my hairs out! Is there a BB brush anyone can recommend for my hair type? Or just something more gentle for hair that falls out easily?

I googled this earlier and got a little bit of information such as to use more spaced our bristles, but I'd rather get some nice advice from LHC users. :) Also, links to brushes I can buy that are under 30 dollars would be great! Or pictures of example brushes.

How many hairs are you using and how often do you brush? On average you lose 80 to 100 hairs per day. If you don't brush everyday, then those shed hairs remain in your hair and when you DO brush, you see more hairs than usual.

HOW you brush makes a different too. Be sure you detangle with a wide tooth comb before brushing your hair.

A boar bristle brush is the gentlest way to brush your hair. They come in different shapes and the bristles can vary widely in stiffness, length and color. BBBs are great for distributing the natural sebum thru your hair, removing lint, exercising the hair follicles, and over time impart lovely shine and softness.

Good luck on finding your ideal boar bristle brush!

nobeltonya
October 10th, 2011, 11:02 AM
I only use my BBB after oiling and detangling with a wide-tooth comb, because it seems to pull the ends when it's dry. Some of the hairs I shed tangle in the ends rather than just falling out, and that's where a lot of the detangling lies for me: removing those hairs. I tried it once wet, also, and that wasn't a good idea either... coconut oil helped to thicken my hair, and using a wide-tooth comb to detangle saved it a lot, also. I was starting to get a thin spot in the front hairline before...

Madora
October 10th, 2011, 11:13 AM
I only use my BBB after oiling and detangling with a wide-tooth comb, because it seems to pull the ends when it's dry. Some of the hairs I shed tangle in the ends rather than just falling out, and that's where a lot of the detangling lies for me: removing those hairs. I tried it once wet, also, and that wasn't a good idea either... coconut oil helped to thicken my hair, and using a wide-tooth comb to detangle saved it a lot, also. I was starting to get a thin spot in the front hairline before...

Perhaps you might try detangling well with your wide tooth comb, then brushing, and applying the oil last. If you detangle and brush daily, then you should be ridding your hair of any shed strands and they shouldn't tangle.

If you don't detangle and brush every day, the fallen out hairs have a tendency to get stuck amidst all the other strands and held there until you detangle.

nobeltonya
October 10th, 2011, 12:02 PM
I have to try to detangle delicately, because dry it seems to pull a lot, even with my wide-tooth comb [maybe not wide enough? :)] Sometimes I'll do it dry if I want to braid it during the day, just not a regular thing.

Madora
October 10th, 2011, 02:20 PM
I have to try to detangle delicately, because dry it seems to pull a lot, even with my wide-tooth comb [maybe not wide enough? :)] Sometimes I'll do it dry if I want to braid it during the day, just not a regular thing.

The secret to detangling is to take small, thin portions of hair, then using your wide tooth comb, start at the bottom of the strands and gradually work up them, a little at a time. If you find any tangles, just separate them with your fingers. If the tangles are tight, a little bit of water or oil may help loosen them so your fingers can detangle them completely.

BlazingHeart
October 10th, 2011, 02:55 PM
If a BBB doesn't work out for you, try searching here for 'preening' - it's a technique using the fingers to spread the oil instead of a BBB. I don't know more than that as it's not something I do. Best of luck!

~Blaze