PDA

View Full Version : Headache free updos

hellopanpan
October 6th, 2011, 09:33 PM
I'm pretty new to LHC and to actually caring for my hair. I've been trying to wear it up but I'm stumbling across some problems. I have APL hair with some layers, and I've bunned and just figured out how to french braid, but buns give me headaches, and even pony tails sometimes. I just feel like my hair is weighing down and giving me a lot of tension. Do hair sticks solve this problem? Right now I'm just using scrunchies and regular rubber bands. Thank you :)

Juicematic
October 6th, 2011, 09:39 PM
It depends on how tightly you secure with the hair sticks. I usually don't have a problem but there are some days that no matter what I use I get headaches.

Yozhik
October 6th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Hi!

I'm surprised that scrunchies are making your head hurt, because usually they're one of the most comfortable ways to wear hair...

Have you tried distributing your updos more to lessen the weight in one area? Good updos for that are twin braids, double buns, buns made out of two braids, twin french braids...
Sticks could probably help distribute the weight, as long as you don't put them in too tightly.

Also, by rubber bands do you mean hair elastics, or do you mean rubber bands? Generally speaking, I wouldn't recommend using rubber bands in your hair, because they can lead to a lot of breakage. Some people do it, but most people try to use cloth-covered elastics that don't have metal or seams that can catch and snag on the hair. :)

Hope that helps! :flower:

ETA: I meant elastics that don't have metal, not elastics that don't have rubber bands! d'oh!

hellopanpan
October 6th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Hi!

I'm surprised that scrunchies are making your head hurt, because usually they're one of the most comfortable ways to wear hair...

Have you tried distributing your updos more to lessen the weight in one area? Good updos for that are twin braids, double buns, buns made out of two braids, twin french braids...
Sticks could probably help distribute the weight, as long as you don't put them in too tightly.

Also, by rubber bands do you mean hair elastics, or do you mean rubber bands? Generally speaking, I wouldn't recommend using rubber bands in your hair, because they can lead to a lot of breakage. Some people do it, but most people try to use cloth-covered elastics that don't have rubber bands or seams that can catch and snag on the hair. :)

Hope that helps! :flower:

If I put my hair in a bun and secure with a scrunchy, the scrunchy is usually too small for my bun. So it ends up being really tight. I'm going to try out those styles you suggested :) If I just wear my hair down or in a braid it's fine, but buns and updos give me headaches, but I really want to wear them!

I use hair elastics, the ones covered with thread or something? But they do exactly that, catch and snag on my hair, so I don't try not to use them unless I really have to. :)

Yozhik
October 6th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Okay, now I get why the scrunchies would hurt. :)

Something I sometimes do is use one of those elasticy hair bands (the ones that are supposed to go around your entire head) for securing buns -- they're larger, so you don't have to squeeze them so tight. :)

Hmm...do the elastics you use have metal on them? Even without metal, the glue part where two ends are welded together can cause damage. I think a lot of people use mini-scrunchies like these (http://www.etsy.com/listing/80189827/12-silk-hair-ties-set-18), or you could look into hairties like this (http://www.etsy.com/listing/62670688/the-wild-flower-package-6-elastic-solid). If you're looking for a do-it-yourself alternative, some people also cut up their torn pantyhose (just cut horizontally across the leg), and those are apparently pretty good and (obviously) don't have any seams.

hellopanpan
October 6th, 2011, 11:35 PM
That's really smart, to use the larger rubber bands. I've even seen the ones thats just like really long pieces and you can cut them to whatever size you want.

The elastics I have are the ones that are glued. They're okay for like pony tails, if I pull them out carefully. But if I try to hold a bun with them it just gets really tangled and ends up pulling. And I loooveeee those scrunchies and hairties they are soo pretty! I'm gonna get some of those! :eek:

Yozhik
October 7th, 2011, 10:12 AM
I'm always glad to enable. :D

Anje
October 7th, 2011, 10:38 AM
I find that buns secured with elastics hurt for me, and ones with hairsticks are less likely to be painful. (Not that every hairstick-secured bun won't pull, obviously, but I have better luck. You know.) A single stick that runs approximately horizontally through a bun that's ear-height or lower is my best bet. Parallel sticks work too, but sometimes the hairs that get pinched between two crossed sticks will pull.

Try a lazy wrap bun held with only a stick (ETA: If you can -- I imagine it might be close with ii/iii hair at APL). You may have to fiddle with the tension a bit, but I think you'll find it relatively comfortable.